Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Caminus Prime, Sep 3, 2018.
Maybe Weight and Skills
You like his slow movements. I don't.
Looking back it would have been a better idea to only introduce the constructicons. By the third film we would see their combined form.
Nowhere near pacific rim in scale, but just as epic.
The problem is 95% of these fandom complaints about Devastator and other things in the films are in hindsight and based on the preferences of fans for fans. Very few of the complaints specific to the fandom are based on the merits of the characters by themselves or have general audience members simply looking to be entertained in mind.
An agile, bipedal Devastator who could fight like a ninja is not what the filmmakers were going for. They were going for a Cybertronian monstrosity whose movements were limited by his grotesque design and massive bulk, who struggled under Earth's gravity. THAT is why I am fine with Devastator's appearance, because I am judging not by what fans wanted him to be, but for what the filmmakers made him to be.
These movies are not required to give x-amount of screen time to y-character (which would have been difficult for robots as big and complex as Devastator anyway), or have certain characters be so powerful, fast, tough, etc, or have robots that look and act just like their existing counterparts. And focusing more on Devastator and making him more agile or focusing on other robots the fans think should have been given more focus depicted in kosher ways would not have made the Bay films better. If anything, 98% of fan ideas I see for any of the five films are worse than anything in the finished films in theory, let alone practice, given all of the challenges of making a big budget production. The other 2% could potentially be of about the same quality IF executed well.
I'm not saying everything about him on-screen was perfect. I'm just saying there are aspects about him that are fine given what Bay and company were going for, and his movements are one of the elements that was done fine in my opinion.
Yeah, I think it's more "physics" than "movie". Autobots are usually smaller than Decepticons. In fact, the largest Autobot was a Decepticon dropout. Just think of elephants compared to...anything smaller.
EDIT: Also consider how many people HATE Pacific Rim: Uprising. "Fast, agile giant robots aren't realistic" is one big argument against the film.
Yeah the people behind these films aren't required to please the fans. And now the franchise is in turmoil for that. I disagree on fan ideas. Some have been 100x's better than what we got. But let's not get too much into that.
I'm not asking for a Jet Li version of Devastator, that's ridiculous. What I was saying is he could have been added in TF3. He could have destroyed many parts of chicago. I haven't seen Rampage with Dwayne Johnson, but a slow gorilla like movement would have been great to see. The constructicons would serve as the main cons in TF2.
If people enjoyed the turtle vacuum that was humiliated by the twins, that's fine. But surely I'm not the only disappointed fan of movie devs.
Makes sense, but it still doesn't explain how Megatron let alone SS is able to put up with a bunch of slow assets when they're trying to get somewhere, especially on Cybertron. There was even a brief scene where Brawl, Bonecrusher and Barricade were all moving at the same speed when they were told to "Mobilize".
My guess? (for an in-universe reason?) Megatron needs all the soldiers he can get. Beggars can't be choosers. Barricade can definitely move faster than most of the other Cons, but Bonecrusher has no excuse. He's the most worthless in TF2007 anyways. Brawl? He's a tank.
Yeah, tens of millions of people go to see the films, but it's the thousands of people on sites like these that makes the franchise "in turmoil."
You can't be serious. It's a huge delusion for disenfranchised fans who dislike the Bay movies to seriously think that any fan ideas for entire, big budget movies are orders of magnitude better than what we got. The vast, vast majority of fan ideas for what the movies should be are inferior to any of the five Bay Transformers movies, and in most cases they are vastly inferior. A tiny minority of fan ideas might be comparable in quality. Significantly better in quality? Yeah, I've seen nothing of the sort.
I'm not saying that there are no fan ideas that have merit, but they're the exception and not the rule, because fans approach creative preferences as fans who treat the source material as something sacred, when if anything you need non-fans not blinded by their fandom focused on making something stand on its own merit.
I'm not even going to get into all that.
I will try and end by saying that Devastator devastating through Chicago against jet optimus would have been a better choice. The Devastator in the concept art was false advertisement.
Separate names with a comma.