Why are new figures packaged in Robot form?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MEGATRON2099, Jun 4, 2014.

1. MEGATRON2099

MEGATRON2099 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Im not sure how many of you feel about this but i would rather have em in their Alternate mode then robot mode. Mostly cuz i get 2 and like to display my loose ones in robot mode..

2. bman

bman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because in their vehicle/animal mode they look like any other cheap scale model junk.

In robot form at least you will get curious potential buyers wanting to change them into their alt modes.

Robot modes tend to give perception that the toy has more value.

3. Gerbera Tetra

Gerbera Tetra AGX-04

Not to mention that, for children anyway, it's more so the robot/face that sells the toy, or that the child is attracted to.

4. GiganGoji

GiganGoji Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This.

5. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I do prefer the alt modes over the robot mode (in package that is)
    Packaging them in robot mode takes away the reveal for me.
    But I think it's mainly bc since Hasbro is cost cutting these days, the figures are getting smaller, which means the alt mode is even tinier.
    Also what previous ppl are saying as well.

6. Vaikyuko

Vaikyuko Transmetal

Robot modes. Only like alt mode packaging if it's really awesome or unique, like a spider or a T-Rex.

7. solusprime19

solusprime19 Disney, Dat knee

and some alt modes suck, there's always that. like BM silverbolt :lol 

8. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

9. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

Hasbro doesn't want to give the perception that one toy in a size class is smaller than another in the same. Consider this: Evasion mode Prime's truck mode is much smaller than Galvatron's truck mode, yet in robot mode both are the same size. Packing them in truck mode would lead some people to think that Evasion mode Prime would be a rip off since he's much smaller than the Galvatron truck next to him for the same price.

10. Tresob

Tresob Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Back in the day, the vehicle mode was always the more attractive of the two modes while the robot mode basically looked like a car with a head stuck on top of it. (That dynamic old box art was compensating for a lot.)

I for one have been generally impressed by how superior the modern robot modes look to the toys of old, so it makes sense to me to sell that mode instead.

11. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i prefer vehicle modes because it's a bit easier figuring out how to transform a figure starting from vehicle rather than starting from robot.

12. Jazz1992

Jazz1992 Adult Toy Collector....that came out wrong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instructions are included ;) 

13. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I remember those days but those were much simpler toys - the only gimmick was the transformation. Now they must be a 'secondary' gimmick. For example, in the first movie line it was 'mech alive' (?) or was it the 2nd movie?

Then in the 3rd movie we had 'mech tech'? Arrgghhhh...I wished Hasbro didn't focus so much on mech tech and just kept the deluxe and voyager size similar to the previous lines.

At least there's no further gimmickry in AOE but the sizes have been reduced - especially the Leader Class figures.

14. GreyFox787

GreyFox787 Well-Known Member

Yeah, in place of the gimmicks from DOTM - which only really affected a character's weapon - we got overly-simplistic crap...

Not such a great trade, I say :-/

15. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I recall Hasbro stating at BotCon or another convention that sales were better with figures packaged in their robot mode.

I prefer alt mode packaging so when I open the box I can then transform him :D  I don't like going back to alt mode first.

16. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Also robot mode is bigger usually.

17. Edgewise

Edgewise Fanner

News Credits:
    I think partly it might be someone in marketing has the idea robot mode would sell better, partly maybe it saves labor in the factory/packaging, but I also think it has to do with having standard-size/shape packaging for each pricepoint.

The robot modes of all toys in each pricepoint will be roughly the same shape/dimensions, but the alternate modes will not be. A voyager semi truck, t-rex and helicopter would all be vastly different shapes whereas the 3 robots wouldn't be. Around/after ROTF I believe is when the trend really started. Recall voyager Long Haul had 2 packaging variants: in robot mode and in alt mode. In robot mode he had to be posed squatting with legs spread to fit in the short but long box while in his much more compact dump truck mode he looked like a green cube with a lot of empty space around him.

So packaging figures in robot mode is helpful for standard sized packaging, reducing the variation in what needs to fit in the box, so the box itself can be shrunk as much as possible and it avoids compact alt modes looking small when they're packaged in the same size box that also has to fit other toys at the same pricepoint with less compact alt modes. Like the original Classics line, Optimus Prime was pretty compact in alt mode making his box look a bit emptier compared to Jetfire or Megatron who's alt modes filled up the space more.

It's just as easy and valid to say:
    "Because in robot mode they look like any other cheap action figure junk.

In vehicle/animal mode at least you will get curious potential buyers wanting to change them into their robot modes.

Vehicle/Animal modes tend to give perception that the toy has more value."

18. motorthing

motorthing One of these days.........

News Credits:
    I don't mind the Robot being the packaged form as it somehow takes me back to my G1 days when seeing what the brick in the packet really was from those little 4 or 5 step pics on the box was all you had to go on and made the difference between a purchase or not. At least now I can see if the Bot is worth it or not......in most cases.

19. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, we didn't even get 'proper' weapons for the characters. E.g. Sentinel Prime didn't have his sword and shield.

20. halfaway

halfaway Did you think you were cool?

I am thinking parents ( not like us ) see robots / transformers
    not a toy car is the main thing
    what kid doesn't like robots?!

there is plenty of hot wheels, remote control cars , cars with lights & sounds