Why are legends scale so expensive?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by MonsterMash, May 27, 2020.

1. MonsterMash

MonsterMash Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm missing something, but based on the amount of material that goes into a legends figure. they seem kinda pricey.

Don't get me wrong, I've bought some New Age and Magic Square figures they are definitely cool for their size.

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I've been asking myself that for a long time. Sometimes they are half the cost of a MP style figure but nowhere near half the size.

Probably something to do with part count and minimum mold costs. 1/4 the size doesn't mean it's 1/4 the production cost.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Reygn

Reygn Leader of The Abyss

First off, these companies are not Hasbro or Takara, meaning their production runs are going to be far fewer in numbers. Second off, most high end toy companies tend to charge more than what seems reasonable because the demand far exceeds the supply, with these companies having small production runs in proportion to the demand left unsated by both Hasbro amd Takara.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    And it’s size class, not scale.

5. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Materials costs account for almost zero of any given toys' price tag. The amount of plastic and metal in a toy, for even a Masterpiece-scale toy could be measured in cents. Maybe you can work it up to a whole dollar or two for larger figures.

The steel injection molds are the largest cost factor, outside of the engineering development itself (and who knows if 3P people treat themselves to a proper "salary" or whatever). They can easily cost tens of thousands apiece. And you're probably going to have at least two of them, accounting for the different plastic colours.

So even with those rough baseline numbers, you can do some basic math. If the development and tooling costs ~$20,000, then a production run of 2000 units (seems to be roughly the ceiling for a first run 3P product) needs to be priced at $20 just to break even. Considering the extra costs involved beyond basic production, and the fact that you're trying to actually be profitable, then you're looking at a price tag of about $40. Which happens to be about the floor for 3P Legends-class figures.

Toy companies like Hasbro/TakaraTomy are capable of manufacturing and shipping a much higher volume of toys. They could push out a run of 5,000 of a similar item, easily, subsidizing the production costs over a larger run, at a mere $4 a pop per figure, with an $8 price tag as a result. This is what's referred to as "economics of scale".

• Like Like x 8
  6. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It comes down to the engineering and parts count. Early legends figures were in the vicinity of $20 and MFT's figures still are, but those figures are much simpler, often using ball joints at the elbows and knees and having hands fused to the figures' arms. But the demand has been for more complicated figures with better articulation and more cohesive transformations (no leaving the back of the leg home and open so it can just fold up for transformation). Add in double jointed elbows and knees, panels to cover up the gaps from hands folding out, wrist swivel, and so on, and the parts count gets pretty damn high. More parts means more time for the workers to assemble it and more time and effort put into QC.

Not any more. Now it's a scale built around that size class. But if you wanna stand your ground on this one, you can join me - I'm still fighting against the term "4th party."

Nah, they start at or just under $30 for the smaller ones and sometimes even less, and that's with the retailer's overhead and "free" shipping baked in (obviously that hasn't been the case as much since Corona). They get more pricey as they get bigger but $40 is still on the high end (NA's seekers are a notable exception that went for $45 each but you can get them in a bundle for around $110 making them a little less than $40 each)

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Megawillbot

Megawillbot Well-Known Nuisance

TL;DR

The actual weight of materials isn't the pricey bits- most of the cost goes towards the part count, quality control, assembly, design, prototyping etc

Plus the limited runs means they make less money out of each design

8. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In Stock

News Credits:
    Yeah, small 3P companies have way higher fix costs and don't have the same economies of scale like Hasbro.

Custom production vs mass production. Kinda like having private chef cooking you a burger at your house vs going through the drive-thu at McDonalds yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I said "about". The number I provided are really rough ballpark-y, and there's far more layers and nuance to it that just that. It was just to give an impression of what's being dealt with here.

• Like Like x 1
  10. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Ok.
    Then what scale is it?

And I’m fine with 4th Party.

11. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

Cuz they're all the rage and people are willing to pay it

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dutchy79

Dutchy79 Well-Known Member

Hastak makes 100.000, Third party +-2500/3000.
    Hastak buy material bigger in bulk and have a lesser quality (legends/chug)..etc etc etc.
    There is enough to make a choice from, I am not rich and am happy with Legends +, those do not cost much :lol 
    50/60 bucks a month get's you a nice little collection and just like the normal legends the + size keeps getting better

13. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh somewhere around HO scale I suppose, give or take. I mean the cars, trucks, and planes don't scale to each other so I guess it depends on which of those you use as your base.

14. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Droppin' Space Colonies

For those who don't know - HO Scale is roughly 1:87

Source: Am Model Railroader in HO scale.

• Like Like x 2
  15. nhyone

nhyone Well-Known Member

We need to look at KO to estimate production costs since there is negligible design costs.

And we need to look at prices in China to eliminate shipping and other overheads.

A few come to mind.

The Gravity Builder KO costs around 520 yuan ($72.50). That's $12 apiece.

IT-01 costs 350 yuan ($49).

MFT MF-46 Grapple costs 90 yuan ($12.50).

16. ChucklesLastLaugh

ChucklesLastLaugh Undercover so long, they all forgot who I work for

Molds are expensive.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In that case, would you say that MST legends figures fit in that scale or am I off in my estimate?

18. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    It sounds like people don't remember when these legends class figures cost $15-$20 shipped.

And if the mold is the expensive part, how can MFT upscale these toys at half the price?

The fact is, the Chinese have seen what collectors will pay for this stuff and jacked prices up accordingly.

• Like Like x 1
  19. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

Exactly people still think that only size matters in the pricing of this things.

But we live in a world where people actually think that the more weight, the more quality your toy has. :confused: 

20. Megawillbot

Megawillbot Well-Known Nuisance

About 1:54