Why all the hate for TR Wheelie?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by DeletedUser_119270, Mar 19, 2017.

1. poisoncow

poisoncow ....

Have him, love him.

Yes I spent 5 seconds sanding but I'm ok with that. For a legends Wheelie he's everything I wanted as a kid.

2. TheSuperion

TheSuperion Harold, They're Lesbians.

I was one of the people who bought him first wave. The tolerance issues are as bad as everyone has described. However, I can't hate him considering how fantastic his robot mode looks. One day I'll probably go and sand down his tabs so he can fit together better, but for the time being he looks mighty findestanding between my CW Optimus Prime and TR Hardhead.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DesertDog

DesertDog Gone Fission’.

News Credits:
    In the Alberta Rockies on my Triumph Tiger 800XC
    I actually got rid of my G1 Wheelie because I hated his Toon characterization and couldn't separate it from the toy. IDW continuing to spread the pain doesn't help either. If I got a bad copy of him I'd be less forgiving than I would be for a different character like Breakaway.

But I really like the new figure despite that, and mine pegs in fine though his knees could be tighter. I would have waited for the Takara version but I don't like the clear windshield.

4. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

Odd, I thought the problem with TR Galvatron's crown mask was that it can barely turn, not that it's completely immobile...

Wheelie isn't complicated in the slightest, but due to needing space inside the car for a Titan Master to ride as per the line's gimmick of every price point being able to interact with them in some way, there's just not much actually holding the car mode together, and what is there doesn't take much to dislodge. Handle the car gingerly, he's fine. Grab a little too roughly, you'll have to realign stuff.

I like my Hasbro Wheelie, though his left hip does like to work itself off sometimes. The black canopy does look a bit silly, though, I would have preferred a translucent grey.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW SpongeBob and TTV's MS 2.0

News Credits:
    I do like Wheelie, he fits great with the 86 CHUG Autobots, but at least the TakaraTomy Legends version got a better paint-deco and Titanmaster.

6. Magnahide

Magnahide Maximal Commander

His robot mode is excellent. His alt mode is difficult to transform correctly. The sides just sort of flop around and don't really line up or peg in very well.

Also, he has the same problem every other figure has nowadays. Very little material for a lot of money. He feels like he weighs not much more than a feather and he doesn't even come with a weapon. He's not worth $10 USD IMO, and I didn't pay that much for him either. I wish they still came with a little Targetmaster guy like they used to, but they would probably charge $15 for that in 2017.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MasterScale

MasterScale Loose, comes with baggage...

I had no idea there was. The last thread I read about him had nothing but good things to say. And I for one think he is a great toy! Yeah, there is that one tab that I needed to file down a bit, but my copy was tight and - other than the afore mentioned tab - great in all respects. I also like his colors just fine.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I never knew there were issues like this, I'm fortunate to have a Wheelie that works just fine. I like it quite a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  9. myrrh

myrrh Knell-Mown Wember

News Credits:
    ...my wheelie's great; love him!..

10. snoopcow

snoopcow Mold hoarder

Because he ain't takara wheelie.

11. Cavadus

Cavadus Well-Known Member

His robot is mode is fantastic. I actually think the Hasbro color craps all over the Takara color. Takara color is just an amorphis orange blob IMO. I also think the clear windscreen on Takara Wheelie looks spectacularly bad. Much prefer the smoked canopy.

The alt mode sucks, though. Appearance is fine but it tabs together horribly and constantly falls apart when trying to secure other sections. Very fragile alt mode which makes the transformation very un-fun.

It's also annoying that he didn't come with an accessory. I really don't care about a slingshot but a little pistol would have been nice.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mormolyce

Mormolyce Throbbing Member

I have the Legends one as well, he's really nice although I also feel like he doesn't quite fit together in alt mode. Feels like he isn't quite tabbing together, so you squeeze him, and then everything just pops out.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Kevin Iaquinto

Kevin Iaquinto #1 Meshuggah Fan

News Credits:
    I got my wheelie, rewind, and stripes for $3 each, my store had incorrect pricing in our system at the time, so I'm just fine with mine

• Like Like x 1
  14. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I don't like Legends scaled figures. Too small.
    Plus as I understood it, was compromised by the need to accommodate a HM.

Besides I already had GDO Wheelie, and he had a slingshot.

15. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wasn't aware people disliked him. I personally think he's perfect - apart from the fact it's Wheelie :lol 

• Like Like x 2
  16. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Dukeup Nukhead

News Credits:
    Yeah, the robot mode alone is spectacular and that alone is why I bought mine. It's a first run so it has the tab clearance issues, but since he sees alt. mode so rarely it isn't a problem for me.

17. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    For me, Wheelie is an odd one.

I got mine not that long ago, as for whatever reason, my area jumped to wave 2 for the most part and most of wave 1 was no where to be found, and even then I didn't pick it up until I also had TRU rewards bucks to spend. As a TR Legend, I think he's by far the most fun in terms of integration of the mechanic, he seats Titan Masters the easiest and they look the best, at least in the ones I have. He's a very fun robot and has a simple but effective transformation.

The weak part for me is that while he forms vehicle mode without a problem, it isn't the most secure. So many TF's feel so "locked in" that Wheelie just feels insecure as most of his tabs are just that, tabs, there's nothing that clicks and locks securely into place, creating a vehicle. You squeeze Wheelie in alt mode, and those many joints will flex and come undone right away. It's not that any joint is floppy, it's just that they're just a bit on the loose side so nothing feels firm.

So, in terms of gimmick integration, he's actually my favorite Legend. In robot, he's pretty good. In car, he's middle of the road, so it's an odd one. Tighter joints overall (not just the ball joints, even the hinge for the head feels just a bit too loose, and a more solid feeling Transformation and he'd be fantastic.

18. Scourgatron

Scourgatron 4D Smart-ass

News Credits:
    It's Wheelie... How good does he have to be?

19. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

I like it fine but I had to trim the tabs to get the alt mode to tab together properly.

20. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

While I agree the transformation is fiddly, I still like him and Bumblebee.

Also got him a Slingshot from Shapeways.