Who would you have preferred over Bumblebee?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by hthrun, Jun 22, 2019.

1. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I think it would have been the same regardless of who they chose. It's more what they did, not who they did it with.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Honorbound

Honorbound The Working Hermit

About the only other Transformer that could have worked in Bumblebee's place is a version of Prime Arcee, and even then, it would have been very different. Bumblebee has his appeal outside of the Transformers fan community - the writers/directors/producers ignore that at their own peril.

3. ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You just described Gobots. I think Robot Chicken already did this version.

4. Leopold Xerovsky

Leopold Xerovsky Professional Casual

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    that's what I get for not actually watching gobots outside of that one VHS tape I kept having my folks rent from blockbuster -- DANG I'M OLD

5. ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim Well-Known Member

News Credits:

The rules of the real world.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. sevenlima

sevenlima Well-Known Member

Optimus for sure.

7. Prime of Shadows

Prime of Shadows Immutable opponent of negativity

YouTube:
    How about we drop the “human and their” format.

What about a movie set on Cybertron, during the war, about 3 autobots sent on a mission to do something, maybe deliver intel or gather intel or blow something up. Perhaps Hound, Trailbreaker, and Mirage? They could develop some nice character and we could even introduce Drift as a decepticon with maybe a partner. They go after the three bots and somehow the bots and cons end up being forced to work together to defeat a common threat (maybe a rogue Shockwave or Scorponok or something) and Drift ends up being disillusioned by the con life and switches sides at the end, creating a bitter rift between himself and his teammate. We end up with Hound, Trailbreaker, Mirage, and Drift forming a new mini-team. Various other characters could make an appearance and we could explore some new fiction backstories for these four.

Edit: the three bots I suggested would also be perfect for exploring some of the opposing mentalities of the bots and cons. All three have abilities naturally disposed to be non-offensive. It shows how the bots aren’t always a very warlike race and they don’t want rampant murder like the cons do.

• Like Like x 3
  8. NaCl

NaCl High school graduate

What if, instead of the human finding an Autobot, they instead find a Decepticon and slowly manage to convince them to run away from the cause?
    My immediate thought would be Thundercracker, but maybe it could work with a rank-and-file character like Reflector or a nameless seeker.

• Like Like x 2
  9. lordsmurf

lordsmurf Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    ... and his name was Little Adi (short for Adolph).

Or a boy and his dog. Ol' Yeller. (Hmmm... Bumblebee is the color yeller. Can't talk, pees on stuff. Didn't they make this movie already?)

10. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Yeah, that's why I initially included the caveat that people could state any changes they wanted to do. For me, I'd leave Jazz pretty much the same. He was pretty close in the movie, for what short time he was in it.
    Back in the day I was thinking they could do that with Drift, but make his character more like BW Dinobot.

11. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    Jazz or Blaster

12. Fallout

Fallout a dude he can't lose when lives on love

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    ... and that's the sad essence of modern transformers stories. a lot of "look what story beats we hit!! look how much similar it is! look what names we're putting on these futureproof character archetypes so you're forced to like them!" versus "hey, here's character and their existence, like it or don't but they exist."

13. lordsmurf

lordsmurf Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    This is similar to what I've said many times.

The Bay movies (the stories) probably did not start a TF stories whatsoever. Just a generic bot or alien treatment, which was then changed into TFs. That is extremely common in Hollywood. All you really had to do was rename the mystic goo-gah the "All Spark", rename characters, and put Cullen as VA. BAM! Transformers story to the uninformed non-fans.

It also means nobody creating the movies knew jack sh!t about Transformers, a fact Bay actually took pride in, aside from a 1-page synopsis from Hasbro. Bay just wants to make things "go boom", story means nothing to him, so TF didn't even have a director. The movies meander all over the place.

The original writers were probably fired, again common in Hollywood, ideas taken, and further distorted. The eventual writers that get credit, Orci and Kurtzman, are infamous for taking a dump on other fandoms like Star Trek, completely ignoring what made the franchise have fans long before they arrived to the scene.

It was mostly a random story with all the right words: Optimus, Bumblebee, Megatron.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Prime of Shadows

Prime of Shadows Immutable opponent of negativity

YouTube:
    This is beautiful.

15. ErickCruz

ErickCruz Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Hot Rod/Rodimus without a doubt. As easily as BB has been portrayed in the movies (minus the no talking) you could easily had swapped him for HR and his place as Optimus' successor would have been finally fulfilled.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  16. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    I'm actually fine with Bumblebee. it was the handling of his character by making him mute and too much of a warrior that bugged me - and still does in the other recent media he's in as well.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Ambrojh

Ambrojh Well-Known Member

Just follow the G1 paradigm, OP is the leader/face of the franchise, give quality time to the other car bots, use bumblebee as intended, comic relief, scout, and the liaison to the humans in film and as the character children watching the film will find as funny and cute.

18. Venixion

Venixion Member of the notorious Pew-Pew Posse

News Credits:
    I say we swap it around. Make it the adventures of robot and their pet hooman.

What's that Sparkplug? Little Bumblebee's fallen down the well again? Let's go save him girl!

19. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Neoseed

News Credits:
    Don't mind Bee being a main character since it makes sense given the kind of character he is.

But if it had to be another character... Hound, Bluestreak or Hot Rod.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Marvelboy1974

Marvelboy1974 Well-Known Member

Hotrod

• Like Like x 1