Who would you have preferred over Bumblebee?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by hthrun, Jun 22, 2019.

1. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I thought of this question after looking at the "Are you sick of Bumblebee" thread...
    After Optimus Prime, Bumblebee is the most promoted Autobot. This started with his large part in the first Bay movie and has continued through his own movie recently.
    So my question is, assuming an Autobot had to be promoted so much as THE face of the franchise after Optimus, who would you have preferred? You can pick any who would have been available before the first movie, so I believe bulkhead, for example, would be ineligible. Also, you can state any changes you would have liked, the same way Bee changed from G1.
    And this isn't just a movie question. Bumblebee has been featured ever since, so your choice would affect other continuities as well.

My initial pick is Jazz. Personally, he was one of the first toys I had. I also like the sports car vehicle mode. Third, I think his personality would have fit better with meeting humans given his interest in the culture. I can see him having been more inquisitive and communicative with the given human character while still being a smart, loyal soldier.

• Like Like x 6
  2. ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well... it’s hard to say since movie Bumblebee turned out nothing like G1 Bumblebee. So even if I said “Cliffjumper” then what would be the point? Because movie Cliffjumper wouldn’t be anything like the character I picked.

• Like Like x 7
  3. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    You get to decide what changes, if any. If you like G1 Cliffjumper the way he is, so be it.
    I'm assuming most would keep their characters pretty much the same. The other first movie Autobots kept their characters pretty well, just had different alt modes.

4. Scoff

Scoff Well-Known Member

Man, I would love to see Jazz make a "comeback" and I agree that the qualities you mention would make him well-suited for the role.

• Like Like x 1
  5. NaCl

NaCl High school graduate

I think they should do Hound. He was sort of the kid appeal character in MTMTE 1-3 then got phased out in favor of Bumblebee. That and his "wanting to be human" personality either gets ignored or dropped entirely.

• Like Like x 6
  6. orangeitis

orangeitis All orange, all the time. Looks infectious.

Ebay:
    Would "none" be an acceptable response...?

I mean, I don't think this franchise is really that suited for a set of characters, let alone a single character to be promoted above the rest. The appeal is mainly lots of cool robots doing cool robot things while turning into (usually) relatively mundane machines. Giving only one of those cool machines a constant spotlight kinda waters down the variety that this franchise has potential to provide.

Say no to mascots in the TF franchise. In my personal opinion, of course. -$.02

• Like Like x 5
  7. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy "Someone has to do the fun stuff." - Moon Knight

No one. Out of a the Autobots Bumblebee is the most welcoming and friendly too others, it's sensible why he's so marketable.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Murasame

Murasame We like to talk big, vampires do

News Credits:
    Rodimus

• Like Like x 10
  9. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    Orangeitis already stated my opinion on the matter better than I could have.
    But for the sake of the experiment I'd pick Powerglide.
    Anyone who isn't as bland as Bumblebee would do, but Powerglide is a loveable screwy guy. Exactly what you need if you want to make Transformers movies.
    He got to star in his own romcom decades before Bee too.

• Like Like x 4
  10. ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well Scatman Crothers is no longer with us. So who is going to voice him? I think the actor who played Jazz in Fall of Cybertron was probably the second best version. But I’m not sure I could take that as the point of view character across 6 movies. Plus Bumblebee was voice-less during the first movie for a reason, to create an Iron Giant kind of love-able vibe and create a sense of mystery for Sam and Not-Carly to wonder about. So is it still Jazz without the voice? Because you know what most people call an old white mute sports car covered in racing badges? Herbie.

Because so many males can relate to getting their first plane?

11. lordsmurf

lordsmurf Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Blaster
    Perceptor

It really was stupid that all Bayformers were just cars and planes. Yawn. Anything not car/plane was deformed in size or mentally.

Spike was a HS kid, so it would have been far more believable to infiltrate his home (Blaster) and school (Perceptor), than with a random car. The whole "finding car" theme in TF is ridiculously overdone now.

In fact, I detest Shia LaBeouf (lousy actor). And then-eye-candy Megan Fox is better at bitch roles, whereas TF really needed more girl-next-door vibes. So if you replace Bumblebee, which you should, you really need to throw all of them on the scrap heap. Bots and humans. Then reduce human roles, make it more about the bots.

Also de-bugify bot modes. There was no legitimate reason to make bots look like insects.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Trip

Trip Prudentia Fortitudo Temperantia Iustitia

Jazz or Hound.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Scoff

Scoff Well-Known Member

Jazz has had good voices after Scatman Crothers so getting to find a suitable smooth voice for him shouldn't be any problem.

For example, Phil LaMarr was an excellent casting choice for Jazz in Transformers: Animated.

I've never cared for Bumblebee being voiceless, because I've never seen it executed in a way that added to his character. If anything, it contributed to him more often than not being less of a character or being obnoxious. Cyberverse Bumblebee is so bad in this regard that, and I'm just going to be completely brutally honest about this, it actually made me want to take the idea and find a way to literally beat it to death.

Also, I thought the Bayverse movies were awful from start to finish so the less taken from that series the better. I even thought they were bad when I was just trying to look at them as mindless summer action flicks.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  14. Scoff

Scoff Well-Known Member

Oh, I do so very much agree with all of this, but Hasbro seems to prefer to have cast slots locked down for specific characters in their movies and television series. For example, Windblade seems to have taken the slot as female Autobot character.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    I want Transformers: Dinobot Island and basically be Jurassic Park but the dinosaurs are alien robots able to transform into Dinosaurs.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    Because males need to relate to a robot in order to enjoy a movie?

17. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Because Spielberg literally said that the movie was about a boy and his first car?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    Don't most people enjoy a movie because of the story?

• Like Like x 1
  19. CountDrunkula

CountDrunkula Sturdy Beard

News Credits:
    ...basically anyone.

20. NaCl

NaCl High school graduate

There's some bayformers that are humanoid-ish and have different alt modes. Not onscreen, but in the toyline and such.