Who was the first combiner?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Xandrolars, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Xandrolars

Xandrolars Deceptacon's rule

For me it was Reflector, albeit they were a backwards combiner (robots to camera), but they did combine.
    And got smaller in the process.

Actually, when you think about it, Reflector was probably the strangest transformer of all the original G1 Transformers.

Anyways, that's my thoughts, what about you guys?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hotconvoy

Hotconvoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    G1 Devastator.

• Like Like x 5
  3. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

Yeah, I'd have to go with Devastator. I've never really considered Reflector a combiner. And it's it weird that he's known by his alt mode's name, the camera, instead of the individual robot names. I really wish the cartoon had them be separate entities.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Distant1

Distant1 Well-Known Member

From a G1 perspective, I think Devastator. Reading on Wikipedia, the Combaticons have been given a backstory with them being able to form Bruticus in newer publications, but for me, the Combaticons or Renegade Decepticons forming Bruticus (in the distant past) is not consistent in the original cartoon given Megatron shock when Bruticus is formed in Starscream's Brigade.

I do feel Reflector was created a short time after the flashback scene in War Dawn.

To me, it is interesting that in the G1 cartoon (excluding Reflector) you have Devastator who built ages ago and the next known combiner is Menasor, who was created a long time later.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jaws

jaws Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    6 Constructicons who merge into DEVASTATOR

• Like Like x 1
  6. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    exactly what i was going to say but you beat me to it. Lol

• Like Like x 1
  7. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    same

• Like Like x 1
  8. HereticalHeresy

HereticalHeresy Decepticon

News Credits:
    Doesn't Starscream imply that he added the ability to for them combine when he rebuilt them, when they're introduced to Megs? He said something like specifically preparing them to fight Devastator

• Like Like x 1
  9. KremzeekTyCobb

KremzeekTyCobb Feed my eyes (Now you've sewn them shut)

News Credits:
    G1 Devastator, though you make an interesting point about Reflector.

10. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Devastator. Reflector is not a combiner. Or to be more technical about it, he is not a Gestalt combiner. He is a category of his own. A single mind inhabiting three seperate bodies (assuming G1 toon).

• Like Like x 1
  11. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

I don't consider Reflector to be a combiner. To me a combiner is a large robot made of two or more smaller robots. Reflector just doesn't fit that description as he's basically a camera that splits apart into three robots who are all the same character...

The toy gives them individual names but in the cartoon I always got the impression that Reflector was just one single character, the guy with the lense on his chest which is the only feature that really sets one apart from the others, and the other two identicle looking robots are just drones controlled by the central Reflector. There's never really anything official explaining how exactly Reflector works in the cartoon this is just my own head canon.

Not sure how he was portrayed in other media. I kinda get the impression that the comics were closer to their toy bios so maybe Viewfinder, and the others were actually three different characters there but in the cartoon they just felt like one character, Reflector. Even if they had been portrayed as three different characters they don't combine into a larger robot but rather a smaller camera so I still don't consider that a true combiner.

It would be interesting to see them redesigned into something that could actually form a larger robot and maybe give them individual alternate modes. Make one a camera similar to the original, another could be a video camera instead of a still camera, and the third could be a cell phone since pretty much all phones have cameras on them now. I just think it'd be interesting to see them transform into three different types of commonly used cameras rather than all forming one camera.

12. pilot00

Not saying that this is a bad idea but why? Why taking away a unique concept and grinding it down to something 100 other bots do also?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Distant1

Something like that, I think we are on the same page.

14. pilot00

"I prepered for this emergency Megatron (he meant devastator emerging)". And in the follow up episode he revealed that he knew that Bruticus will rebel and placed the deactivation mechanism behind his backgun.

15. Distant1

Yeah, to me there is no way Bruticus existed when the Combaticons were a bunch of Renegade Decepticons. Thus, Devastator is older than Bruticus.

16. Pichomp

Pichomp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Devastator
    6123FACD-C16A-4910-B9A8-97C9F1C7CAED.gif

17. Bezuul

Bezuul Well-Known Member

Computron. I only had 3 devestator figures from a thrift store with no accessories so they always got beat up. And the tank and plane cassette tape combiner. More MP cassettes would be awesome.

18. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Exactly what i was going to say. Then I'd say after him it was the Stunticon,Aeriobots with the episode to introduce them being a double episode.

19. Signal LancR

Signal LancR Bah weep gragnah

I'll go ahead and shake a little by saying that my first combiner was not G1 Devastator...

It was a KO of G1 Devastator
    $_57.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  20. REMINATOR

REMINATOR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Since my kid day, 1st Con combiner will always be Devastator while the Bot is Superion.
    As a kid, I never viewed Reflector as a combiner until Devastator came along. This is partly due to the fact that Reflector or any other TF character never mentioned or addressed to them as team, or Reflector forms, merges, etc in contrast to your typical gestalt. So Reflector as a combiner never resonated back then. The other issue which goes against Reflector is that we tend to view "Combiner/Gestalt" when each bot merges to form a "Super Robot". But in Reflector case, he only merged to form the alt.mode, he lacks that Super Robot mode. As an adult, I sort of accept Reflector as a combiner to certain degree but I wouldn't categorize them in the same league like Devastator, Superion, or even like RID Rail Racer trio, Omega Prime/Armada Jetfire-Prime duo.