Who should be the next commander class figure?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by HotRodDidNothingWrong, Mar 13, 2021.

?

Who should be the next commander class figure?

1. Powermaster Optimus Prime

41 vote(s)
    15.9%
  2. Star Saber

52 vote(s)
    20.2%
  3. Deathsaurus

35 vote(s)
    13.6%
  4. BW Rampage

27 vote(s)
    10.5%
  5. Tidal Wave

52 vote(s)
    20.2%
  6. Armada Optimus Prime

29 vote(s)
    11.2%
  7. Other

22 vote(s)
    8.5%
  1. B3k

B3k Well-Known Member

Thank you, I'm so glad someone else gets this, Omega should be combiner sized.

And on a personal note the titan combiners were awful. They'd need to either be double the price for the extra engineering to make them work or half the size so they could support their own mass.

Back on topic, if they go the JG1 route I could definitely see Star Sabre and Star Convoy being front runners but I would have said Hasbro don't seem to keen on risking JG1 in the higher price points but then Black Zarak happened. Deathsuarus seems more like a leader class to me but I'm not saying he wouldn't work as a commander.

Broadside is one I just can't see happening, I don't think he ever really had the media presence to get hype for a Commander class and even as a character he was always just the 3rd autobot triple changer, always very much in the shadow of Springer and Sandstorm, unless there is a season 3 focus episode or episodes I am forgetting. I totally get why people want him to be big but from a business point of view I could easily sell broadside as a leader class with a flat top repaint and do Tidal wave as the commander class and get a better return.

I was thinking Thunderclash but then logically he's not known at all outside the fandom and casual fans would be like who is this Optimus wanna be. Would be very cool to get him as a leader class at some point.

I'd still love to see storm bringer Thunderwing as a Commander class, hell even regular Marvel Thunderwing would make me happy, pretty unlikely though.

• Like Like x 2
  2. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

News Credits:
    I'm perfectly fine with Omega Supreme being bigger than most combiners.

I agree go all out with the carrier mode which should also be the U.S.S. Flagg. Do a partner and a couple sets of micromasters as the Sky Striker, Conquest X30, Dragonfly, Tomahawk, and Whale hovercraft.

The opposing commander could be a Con with a Terror Drome base mode and micromaster Fire Bat. Again, add a couple sets of miromasters as Cobra vehicles: HISS tank, Rattler, Night Raven, and Thunder Machine.

• Like Like x 2
  3. DerVernichter

DerVernichter Well-Known Member

-Magmatron
    -Gigatron/RiD Megatron
    -Skyquake
    -Thunderclash
    -G2 Dreadwing with Smokescreen

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Ricky Spanish

Ricky Spanish Shingo No-Prize

Overlord only with two robots with four modes (robot - vehicle - upper body/legs - base)
    Metroplex and Trypticon for Micromasters/Legends/Core

• Like Like x 2
  5. Negativedark

Negativedark Stealth Gesalt

Star Saber is very much on their minds I think, as Commander Class is definitly aimed a bit at die hard fans, and relying on casuals going "Wow that looks cool!" I think Star Saber would pass the latter since he's got a really neat design.

• Like Like x 2
  6. quiktake

quiktake Well-Known Member

I think it would be an autobot since good guys always sell better. Armada Prime is the most likely.

• Like Like x 1
  7. WereDragon EX

WereDragon EX Well-Known Member

ELI5: Where was it stated about Motormaster being a commander class in 2022?

What's the big deal about that gimmick? TR Sixshot literally has one of (if not the most) unobtrusive headmaster gimmicks out of any figure in the line. You literally don't need to remove the head for transformation. Sure, you need to plug in the head into the wolf head if you don't want a hole on the top of the wolf head, but that's a minor quibble, IMO.

• Like Like x 4
  8. AutobotJazz1

AutobotJazz1 The best there is...

News Credits:
    I really wanna see Motormaster at this point. I grow tired of seeing just Autobot commander figures.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  9. 2fabdad

2fabdad Well-Known Member

I found one six shot in the wild… it’s face paint was trash had to repaint the face myself. I’m Not a fan of Titian Master Gimmicks on Transformers that were Not Headmasters for example The Target Masters.

• Like Like x 1
  10. WereDragon EX

Sure, I understand this, but you can literally ignore the gimmick if you don't want to use it for the most part, as the head doesn't need to be removed at all for transformation. If the head needed to be detached, then sure, that hurts "immersion" of a figure being a headmaster when the character traditionally isn't one. But in this case, it seems like a much lesser quibble.

• Like Like x 3
  11. orangeitis

orangeitis All orange, all the time. Looks infectious.

News Credits:
    Leakers stated that Hasbro is doing one combiner team per year now. First is Stunticons in 2022, and Motormaster is a Commander in this team.

I'm less concerned about that gimmick and more about his scale. He needs to be as tall as Ultra Magnus, IMHO. His TR variant is too tall for me.

• Like Like x 1
  12. WereDragon EX

I see. Well, I agree the Stunticons certainly could use a redo, given the mess that was CW Motormaster (the UW version was even worse with the "GPS" like problem) and the fact that Wildrider was simply Dead End with a new head and different colors. The former issue is obvious and probably dampens anyone's enjoyment of the combiner. I hated the latter issue since I thought it very lazy and sloppy for two combiner team members to look virtually the same. They should really either be different molds or more extensive retools at least. Hopefully the new Stunticons rectify these issues.

As for Sixshot, I can see why you'd have an issue there, since I have that figure and Siege Ultra Magnus. I don't have CW Ultra Magnus, so maybe he scales better with that figure instead?

• Like Like x 1
  13. orangeitis

orangeitis All orange, all the time. Looks infectious.

News Credits:
    Apparently, the Stunticons are super G1 accurate like a lot of recent figures had. Unknown if they'll keep the Combiner Wars compatibility or not, but my personal guess would be yes. No one other than a leaker or two(and HasTak, of course) knows what any of them look like though.

I personally want to adhere to Hasbro's unified 1:35 scale that began with Siege, so I gotta go with Siege Ultra Magnus.

14. WereDragon EX

The Stunticons should get a redo where they are more G1 accurate. Did not like the trailer-less Motormaster and as mentioned, Dead End and Wildrider looking almost the same. That said, I think some combiners are serviceable as they are, like Bruticus, Defensor, and Devastator. The UW Computron and Generations Selects Seacons are other examples, but I can imagine some people might want new versions of Computron and Piranacon/King Poseidon since the former's CW version was iffy and the latter was not widely available at mass retail and was very marked up as an online exclusive.

Honestly, I don't really like the CW system where the combiner hands and feet peg into the limb bots, I've had bad experiences with figures like some of the Dinobots and Rippersnapper where the plastic on the port is too thin and breaks easily because the peg on the combiner hands and feet that plugs into them is too thick. I think some of the Generation Selects Seacons also have this issue as well. I'm personally hoping they ditch that system and maybe use one where the hands and feet clip onto the limb bots instead somehow. That way, there should be a better attachment point and no stressing of plastic on ports. That said, the way the limb bots themselves connect to the torso is a well done piece of engineering and I wouldn't be opposed to them maintaining it.

I see about Sixshot. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Hasbro plan to remake him again any time soon. I would imagine that his complexity in having six/seven forms has something to do with it and even by today's standards, it would be tricky to modernize a figure like him. Even his TR figure was more or less the G1 version with better articulation.

15. volatus

volatus Aristocratic Airborne Decepticon

SUPER
    BUMBLEBEE

• Like Like x 3
  16. depthcharge82

depthcharge82 Maximal

A commander class figure has to have good playability. People in this thread also want a bad guy. There is one character I believe fits this criteria. RID2001 Scourge

• Like Like x 2
  17. WereDragon EX

General consensus from the leaks seems to say that it is Motormaster and that we will get the other Stunticons as Deluxes to go with him so we can make Menasor. I'm just wondering how they can pull that off without the resulting combiner's torso and limbs being disproportionate in relation to each other, since a Commander should be significantly larger than a Deluxe.

18. Bakarina

Bakarina Well-Known Member

Either Optimal Optimus or Dragon Megs.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Imperator

Imperator Be like Optimus, wear a mask.

[​IMG]
    Come on guys, get it together. There is exactly one right answer here.

• Like Like x 3
  20. ickzer1

ickzer1 Well-Known Member

Tigerhawk