Who sells their Transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by OmegaDead, May 11, 2008.

1. OmegaDead

OmegaDead Well-Known Member

I wouldn't sell mine for any price. Not a single one.

I don't begrudge anyone who does but I would like to hear the reasoning behind it.

I was about 22/23 when I started collecting. It was the alltenators that got me back into Tformers. My first buy was Deadend and I couldn't stop after that.

I used to collect comics and sports cards when I first grew out of toys as a tween and then stopped buying anything alltogether (Beer & weed time).

Then I walked into a Walmart one day to buy a toy for my son and I saw them again (Tformers) and haven't been able to stop ever since. I only buy those that I really want and have a pretty cool collection now.

I just don't get how you could get something you love then let go of it.

Money is everywhere to be made, they'll never run out. This is your childhood (or 2nd) why let it go for a few dollars that you will spend anyway.

2. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

I'm not selling mine, but there are a ton of valid reasons.

You might need the cash for a personal emergency, home purchase, school financing, etc.
    You might be moving to a smaller house.
    You might grow tired of them.
    Your spouse wants you to :) 

3. Tell_Story

Tell_Story Well-Known Member

To to Palidine:

Premiums come out and the extra cash could help.

4. OmegaDead

OmegaDead Well-Known Member

Paladine:

need cash: get a 2nd job or better job (most people are way too picky, think there above an honest days work)

moving to a smaller house: pack them away, no matter how small the house, you can find room: I live in a two bedroom w/ my fiance/wife and we find room.

you grow tired of them: Why would who ever buy them in the first place then, unless to sell them.

Your spouse: IF she/he makes you get rid of your stuff you're probably getting divorced in the long run anyway (unless you are a spineless wuss)

5. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I am selling what I am selling so I can make room for more. I'm keeping the ones I like/want to keep, the rest can go to paying for more.

6. dougzx9

dougzx9 Wish I were here

If I get tired of them I'll sell them off. Or if I get duplicates of some I'll sell them off since I don't need two or more of them.

7. dark69

dark69 BlackArachnia Terrorize!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i'm selling some of the ones i don't like from the A.E.C./movie lines so i will have money for animated and cyberfembots

8. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah the space is an issue.

Also I have a family so the priority is on them, my toy money is limited, so if I need more $ to spend on toys I sell the figures I don't want anymore. I can't get a second job to buy more toys, I need time with my family :) 

Though I love most of my toys...it's hard. But I can get tired of certain TFs, because I sometimes buy them just to see how they transform/articulate in person, and after that I lose interest. It can happen, at least to me. I don't consider myself a collector except for certain lines, I just like buying toys.

9. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

it's priority. eat/ pay bills or keep toys that i don't like anymore. Hmm...
    you can't take em with you when you die, and theres only so much enjoyment you can get. why keep them just for the sake of keeping them?

10. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I think Paladine's reasons are all valid.

I sold my TFs when I was going to school and trying to finish an engineering degree, so I had no time for a job. I barely had time to sell the collection as it was. Either way, I don't regret it - the profits helped immeasurably.

This is untrue. Sometimes, the amount of stuff you NEED outsizes the stuff you WANT - Transformers are a nice luxury, but if you're in a 1 bedroom apartment, space for even boxes of a collection are a horrible idea (unless you want to live in a home that looks like a storage shed.)

Everyone gets tired of collecting at some point. That was part of my onus for selling my collection. When it all comes down to it, these are just material objects that can be bought and sold, anyway - nothing worth coveting.

If anyone here loves Transformers over their wife, that's ridiculously embarrassing and I feel sorry for them.

11. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    Sold G1's b/c they were getting expensive to collect and I am using the funds to purchase an engagement ring. Sold my first set of MISB Alts to help out my parents two years ago, then sold a 2nd set of MISB Alts to pay the tax man.

12. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

Well sometimes a figure turns out to be a complete dissappointment, cuz you only see one mode in the package........

and after a while it makes sense to sell those off to someone who may want it more, and use the money to buy other figures.

Its really hard for me to associate any sentimental value to Transformer # 451 that i bought when i was 22 so.........

Plus the magic of repaints gives me a lot of reasons to sell off previous molds for newly painted ones. Downshift/ Big Daddy comes to mind....... and MP 3 greenscream

13. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't sell them often, but when I do, it's usually because I bought another, newer version, and have no need for the old one, so I sell it to make back some of my money. For example, I just bought Premium Leader Optimus, so my old Leader Optimus is on ebay, helping me get some of my money back. Same with Classics Bumblebee when his Henkei counterpart arrived.
    Also sometimes I'll buy lots off of ebay, just because there's one or two parts or robots I need, then I take them out of the lot, add some from another lot, and sell them.

14. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got back into collecting 11 years ago and a week in a half ago decided I was done. No real reason why I'm quitting, it just doesn't excite me like it used to. I initially started selling my stuff to afford new tires for my car, and have now decided to just keep selling and see how much of my car loan I can pay off.

15. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    Ops_was_a_truck, well spoken, sir!

16. Seaspray

Seaspray TFW2005 Supporter

If someone's SO is forcing them to sell their prized collection then I don't see how love is involved. My wife accepted my collection and would likely kill me if I sold them.

17. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I needed a car and liked the fact I didn't have a car payment. Add to that the fact I was getting tired of my apartment looking like a toy store, and the solution was simple. Sell the TFs ( not all, I'm keeping G1 ) and buy a car. I couldn't pay cash for the whole thing, so I have a very small car payment. Though I will be trying to pay it off soon.

18. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

I want to sell of my A/E/C stuff. It's just in storage and I hardly even fiddle with them. I kind of look back at them and wonder why I bought them. I would not however, sell off my G1/G2, Classics, or Movie stuff. I feel a stronger connection to those most of my A/E/C stuff.

19. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Most of my collection just sits in storage, so I've been gradually selling it off since why have a bunch of toys sitting under the stairs when you could have money which can then be put to other uses.

Although I'm sure if someone offered you $80 000 for an Alt Smokescreen you'd sell.

20. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

I haven't sold mine (except for one and that was because I found the size suprising and disapointing [hybrid convoy]) but it's commen sense to me that I should be selling off some soon. Basically it comes down to it like this...

I'm out of space.
    They're toys and I never play with them anyway.
    I rarely ever even open them. (MISB smells so nice. :D  )
    They can be expensive.
    A large majority of hot broads don't find kids toys attractive in a guy. :p  (You could probably lecture me on this and I'd enjoy hearing it.)
    I'd like to have kids to give them to, and to collect with them some day.
    I'd like to buy a new car and a house.
    Again, out of closet space.
    No where else to put them.
    I'd like to give my future family a good life. It starts by planning ahead.
    There is only so much money to go around in a declining economy with gas prices skyrocketing each day and a home, car, food, and clothes are nescessities - Toys are just toys. A luxery.
    If you only make so much no matter how many jobs you have, that means being smart with what you got.
    I'm mostly only interested characters from the original Transformers anyhow. (A few exceptions here and there, though).

So my conclusion is the only thing that makes any sense is that I need to be narrowing my collection down to just Generation 1 characters. That includes not just the original toys, but also alternators, classics, masterpieces, and true to form versions in other lines as well. (For example I thought Smokescreen in Cybertron was a nice representation of the original character.)

So I'll probably have to sell off most of my A/E/C collection. Not sure what to do about RiD yet.