Who owns a cat?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Red leader, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I'm thinking of getting some cats. Quite a few actually. I want to open a Chinese restaurant.

2. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Red Leader we need pics of your kittie.

3. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Pretty lame. Pretty-pretty lame.

4. Snow Cat

Snow Cat Well-Known Member

Oh yeah. You went there.

My cat brought me a present of a mouse tonight. Awwww.

5. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Sorry, but I'm just not a cat person. If I ever went to China, or a Chinese restaurant here in the states that serves cat, I would try it. Do I want one as a pet? Nope.

6. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    From what little I know of Persians they're normally aloof, and because of their heavy coat aren't as likely to be lap cats.

I do hope you know what kind of serious grooming commitment you have made! :D  And have all the tools, and some idea of how to properly brush a cat with a long fluffy coat. You really should start training the cat to lay down and take it, too, once the cat starts being more friendly.

--Moony

7. Red leader

Red leader Nom Nom Nom

News Credits:
    Thanks for all the advice guys, its much appreciated. We had thought about getting a persian for approx 7 years and have been reading up on them as much as we could, he gets groomed in the morning and has his big saucer eyes done twice a day to get rid of his sleep, we also clean out his litter box whenever he has done some business so its nice a clean for the next go. We're so happy with the little chap, he had to have an operation early on in his life to correct his bottom which ruptured after tummy trouble so we pay extra attention to what is coming out of it :)  and boy does it smell just like I remember......strong! this makes him all the more special as the vet offered to put him down at first, it was his lovely personality that kept him on top. We hope he's better now but just incase there is any trouble down the road we're going to spoil the little guy rotten, he really is a joy to behold.

I will get some pics of him this week as he is coming out of his shell a bit more now, he seems to like disrupting meal times by jumping on the table and seeing what you've got to eat, he has an abnormal fondness for wanting to assault cups of tea ??

8. AutobotMarine

AutobotMarine Banned

Ebay:
    I have one. Her name is Sade, named after the singer "Sade".

9. Moonscream

News Credits:
    Wow, sounds like he's had a rough start in life, but you guys are really being good to him!

Ooo, you might want to start discouraging him from getting onto your table during meals, tho - there's stuff we can eat, like garlic and onions, that will make him anemic and/or otherwise very ill. And since he's already had a rough start you don't want him to get in the habit of doing things that might bring him to further harm.

Oh, and the better the cat food, the lesser the stinkies.

--Moony

10. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Our sixth cat we got is a polydactyl, if anyone has heard of those. For those that havent, it means that the cat has an extra digit in its paws; a thumb if you will. We got her in Iowa while visiting the inlaws. She was the last one left at the vets office and as soon as I walked through the door, she started meowing at me. She definitely chose us. Its funny how cats are. Our 4 females have their own attitudes and the 2 boys basically let them run the home.

11. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    I have 2 cats, got them both as kittens. They were pretty clingy with me at first while they got used to their new surroundings, then really couldn't care less about me after awhile :lol  Now they're almost 2 and only get touched on their own terms.

12. darkmgmstr

darkmgmstr Blue Lantern Corps Member

I owned a cat til now.... He just passed away today.... :( 

13. Moonscream

News Credits:
    Awwww! What happened? :( 

--Moony

14. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I have a cat. A total attention whore. And gay, he prefers to lounge on men rather than women. Maybe our boobies don't get in the way.

My advice is keep the kitten in the room you want to designate as 'his'. Ie, the kitchen, the spare room, whatever. After this room is imprinted on him as his (and this means lcking him in there for a few days, he'll spread out to the rest of the house, but that initial room will remain the centre of his universe.

Once fully acclimatised to the house, (and this will take weeks) you can then maybe let him outside.

Also punishment of kitty does not make you a bad person. I used to use water pistols when he was doing wrong (the carpet is not for scratching!) but now we use the Airzooka, which he hates.

So now we have a well behaved cat that responds to voice commands.

15. MythofBlackout

MythofBlackout TF Fan Artist

News Credits:
    My parents have 4.. They each have different temperaments. The youngest (4 months) is very playful and affectionate while our one year-old is the textbook definition of "scaredy cat." She spends all day under my mom's bed and runs away when anyone except my mom goes near her. The older two are pretty laid back at this point though the younger of those two used to be very paranoid and obsessive compulsive (still is, to a bit but not so much anymore).

I would also recommend, if you can afford it, getting another kitten in the near future so he has someone to play with. That's how we ended up with our youngest. :) 

I'm so sorry to hear that.

16. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Your racial overtones disgust and slightly amuse me.

17. darkmgmstr

darkmgmstr Blue Lantern Corps Member

Well, if you must know, I left my kitty of 1-2 weeks old with a good friend of mine. I recently picked him up a week ago because he was around my apt area and no one was paying attention to him. His mother wasn't coming to his meows and he was in the hot sun. My friend loves cats and promised to take care of mine while I was back home with my parents. I got texts from her last night telling me that he was shaking, pooping alot, and he wasn't eating. From what I've read, it sounded like he was just plain scared since she has never been with her and she took him to her place. Being scared explained why it was pooping alot and probably not eating. I got a text today saying he still wasn't eating and he was meowing alot. I figured he just needed to be accustomed to the situation and I was coming back. Right when I was getting ready to leave, I get texts from her apologizing, saying she did her best because he passed away. :( 

I kick myself cuz I couldn't take it to the vet for financial reasons and I didn't give it away to an animal shelter. All I know is that he's in a better place... :( 

18. dmc2008

dmc2008 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bella and Zoe, about 9 months ago...

[​IMG]

Now, they like to sleep a lot:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. gonzo23

gonzo23 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    yeah, they take time to adapt to you. we have a cat that was given to us from a friend because she was pregnant and could'nt have him around. It took him at least a year before he was finally comfortable around us, now he'll jump up on your lap and lay with you.

20. betetta

betetta guitar face

i only have one... he was rescued and brought to my house when he was like 2 months old from the street (he was about to get eaten by a doberman) now he's like 5 years old... i refused to castrate him until somehow we ended up having to pick up some of his babies from a nearby building along with the mother of the kitties (at least i got to place them all in good homes) and after having to clean a lot of infected wounds from territorial fights he had with another cats...well now he's emasculated and totally fat...also a coward and a crybaby :p