Who isn't riding the bandwagon train of hate?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by LTprime98, Jun 24, 2017.

1. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    After the first showing I hopped on the bandwagon because I was legitimately disappointed in what I got. My hopes and expectations were mountain height thanks to the writers room and everything we were told would come out of it. But this movie only barely touched on what they were going for. And then the decepticons had the most potential out of all the movies only for most of them to die, and quickly. Then the editing felt very out of wack. It just goes by so quickly. I couldn't process what I had even just seen getting out the first time. Came back here and ranted for a bit but my rants came from me also being very disappointed that i felt like i didnt enjoy this one, whereas I walked out the 4th movie feeling like I just left an awesome theater experience. What's funny too, is that for some reason on the first showing, my theater COMPLETELY fucked the aspect ratio beyond belief. As in, it wasn't even widescreen. The picture only took up 2/4 of the screen. Like they were trying to prevent people from noticing the shifting aspect ratio thanks to the IMAX cameras. It was just all around a weird theater experience for me.

So I just had to see it again. And thankfully, I truly did enjoy it more. It settled with me that this was what I was going to get. And there were alot of things I did miss the first go round. And thankfully the aspect ratio was fixed so that it took up the whole screen. The shifting aspect ratios never bothered me. Matter of fact I barely noticed most of it. The jokes seemed way less funny this time but I payed more attention and, despite the bad editing, more scenes came to make more sense. And i noticed that there is a certain charm the movie gives off, especially during the final battle.

I'm going to probably see this one last time in theaters and then write a final review.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Uh... no. It absolutely is not redundant. TLK is not bad in regards to it being a bad Transformers film, it's just a bad movie in that it fails at some of the more basic film techniques in regards to not just the use of the property but things such as pacing, editing and storytelling.

Not to the extent of this film. For example it's a big problem when the main character of your film (in this case Cade) doesn't truly have any reason to be involved with the plot beyond happening on a talisman that we're told is important and then ends up to really, really not be. What about when you spend time introducing a character like Izabella only for it to turn out that -every- scene with her could be cut without effecting the plot?

In what way did this film further Optimus' character? Literally all that was established beyond what we had in AOE is that Bumblebee is his best friend. He got some character development in AOE, I guess, if you consider "losing faith in humanity because they're murdering your people in cold blood, only to decide they're OK because some human you met's unlikable daughter was a mistaken teen pregnancy, meaning it's fine when humans make so-called mistakes" development.

Right... it's me being "obtuse" that's the reason your post is full of crap.

3. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall Whiskey Powered Gunpla and Cow Master

I enjoy the movies for being just popcorn fun. If I want Transformers reciting poetry I'll read Towards Peace. or the Furman era.

4. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan The Sept of Kaon

News Credits:
    I'm starting to think i'm gonna like TLK the way I liked AOE. Not a lot, but enough to not rant about it, but like AOE, i'd never really defend it, because i know all in really defending is my right to like it. It's a stupid pointless argument that ends in world wars.

5. G1Dan

G1Dan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Me. I'm not riding the hate bandwagon I loved the film, all of it.

And ive been on that submarine that transported Cade and Vivian to the staffs location. That museum is a 20 min drive from me

Does that mean ive been inside a transformer? ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  6. FCPrime

FCPrime Well-Known Member

I enjoyed it in something of a "so bad it's good" way. The dialogue was ridiculous, and I got a huge laugh out of all the scenes that were supposed to be serious moments. It isn't "good", but it did bring me a lot of joy, and I genuinely enjoyed most of the action. It's a dumb movie, sure, but I have no hate or ill will towards it.

If anything, I'll give this and AOE credit for doing away with the more annoying parts of previous movies. There's no character as obnoxious as Skids and Mudflap, Mark Wahlberg's daughter and her boyfriend are nowhere to be seen, and you don't have Stanley Tucci's scientists playing around with little balls of bad CGI.

7. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Normally I would defend these films against critics being over-the-top, but it pains me to say that with TLK its definitely warranted.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  8. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's Scriptor

News Credits:

I could argue with you about pacing, editing and storytelling but I'm not going to because it's pointless because there's no right answer as films aren't made for one person. One person can think that it's fine whereas another hates it. It's like how some people can't tell the robots apart but others can.

And you're right, Cade doesn't really need to be in the film, except that he's the protagonist and being so means that his involvement in events somehow propells events forward. And the talisman was somewhat important. It was an omen and a sign, siginalling the start of prophesized events.

I concede the point about Isabella but the same can't be said about Vivian and Sir Edmond.

And for Optimus, this film made a point about the places people call home. Isabella lost hers, Megatron wanted to return home, Optimus was unsure where home was, Quintessa wanted to restore her home. Optimus always saw Earth as a place to protect in a sense of duty as he brought war to with him but just because you stay in a place that doesn't mean it's really a home but now he has a bond to it like he did with Cybertron.

And yes, you were being obtuse. Who do you think I was referring to, the characters who died or the main antagonist who survived? You chose the former for some reason

9. Lewis

Lewis Active Member

I thought it was really good, really enjoyed it!! Much better than AOE.

Megatron was a Badass!!

10. Promoney121

Promoney121 Well-Known Member

I thought it was fine too. I saw it with a buddy and his 4 kids. They all liked it. It wasnt perfect, but plenty entertaining. Would of been better if I didn't wake up the next morning to see my car on blocks and all 4 wheels missing and my nav system....but I guess it's a desirable car to steal shit off of!!!!!! Pissed me off!!!!!

11. G1DeadEnd

G1DeadEnd Bring on 5, 6, 7 & 8!

News Credits:
    I enjoyed TLK, because it felt new with the British cast (including Cogman), and stakes were high, plus the Autobot team had different dynamics until the end.
    The editing was good too, it followed the story, not tangents.

I like the TF movies as they are, with flaws. If I wanted to see one exactly to my liking, then I should make one ... and even then it wouldn't have the quality Bay's films do.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  12. tarZen

tarZen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't see how anyone can say this wasn't a rubbish film. Incoherent, crazy quick editing makes it difficult to follow, 1000 bots thrown in for a couple of sequences. This movie is bad not because it doesn't meet the expectations of Transformers fans, it's bad because it's nonsense filmmaking.

13. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So is this bandwagon train like a regular wagon, or is it more like a train or something? I'm confused here.

14. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, the issue is that people think there is some kind of agenda about calling the movie bad despite it just being bad.

It's a movie forum so obviously opinions are going to come up multiple times if it's relevant to the thread.

15. Uncrazimatic55

Uncrazimatic55 Well-Known Member

But he's too humanoid in AOE and TLK. He has no truck parts. Where is the windshield for his chest?

16. iceburn9

iceburn9 Constructicon

News Credits:
    I love the Transformers movies despite some things I don't agree with, so the bandwagon is not for me.

17. HoneyPrime

HoneyPrime ♥♥ Smokescreen ♥♥

Nope, no hate bandwagon for me. I loved the movie just like I did the other four. Don't get me wrong, I did have "Uh Wut?" moments and don't consider it perfect, but still enjoyed it nonetheless. I plan on going back to see it a time or two more to catch all the little things I missed and posting my review later.

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP My personal sense of scale

News Credits:
    Nobody, because it isn't a bandwagon, the film is just really bad and some people can't see past it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. HoneyPrime

HoneyPrime ♥♥ Smokescreen ♥♥

"Really bad" is a matter of opinion. Some forget that.

20. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Veteran

News Credits:
    I didn't hate the movie, but I guess since I was mentally comparing it to AOE, I liked it. Maybe because to me, it just wasn't as fucking dumb as AOE to me. But overall, it was ok. Just ok. It wasn't "good," it definitely wasn't "great," but it was somewhat entertaining save for some moments where it was just groan worthy.