Who is the first traitor?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by JohnStartop, Nov 5, 2019.

1. JohnStartop

JohnStartop There can only be one.

Who is the first Autobot to become a traitor? I'm trying to find one before Sentinel Prime in DotM from any film or cartoon. Longarm in Animated doesn't count because he was always a spy, nor does Wasp because he's the one who was betrayed and went crazy. Brainwashing doesn't count either. Lockdown isn't a traitor because he has no loyalty to betray to begin with. I'm looking for someone who fully believed in the Autobot cause and of sound mind decided to betray it.

Presently, the earliest example of an actual traitor is:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  2. Soundwavelover2004

Soundwavelover2004 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Megatronus perhaps but he is not a autobot

3. Furnace

Furnace Ant-droid at a picnic

Though they didn't defect from the cause, in the Marvel comic, Goldbug and Blaster seceded from the earthbound Autobots for a time, being dissatisfied with Grimlock's reign.

• Like Like x 3
  4. MetalStorm

MetalStorm Click Click Boom!

Hot Rod.

#1986wasaninsidejob

• Like Like x 3
  5. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wheeljack in Armada was the first one I remember who was an Autobot and became a Decepticon.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Ryan F

Ryan F Transform and Roll Out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think the first Autobot traitor seen in the canon is Flame, who was introduced into the UK Marvel comics in 1988. He was a 'mad scientist' type, sure, but he went evil of his own volition.

I can't think of any others off the top of my head who would pre-date him...

• Like Like x 3
  7. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    The first Autobot traitor in fiction would be Mirage who very nearly left with the Decepticons in "More Than Meets The Eye" but had a last-minute change of heart. His reservations about the war and home sickness was never really ever addressed again, IIRC.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    Even then that's debatable; I don't think Mirage intended to leave with the Decepticons, seeing as he used his invisibility powers to stow away and sabotage the vessel.

• Like Like x 2
  9. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    IIRC, he tells the others he wanted to leave WITH them and then changed his mind, sabotaging it instead. I don't think he necessarily wanted to join the Decepticons (hence the invisibility) - but he did want that one-way ticket back to Cybertron that the Decepticons were providing. He might not have been a traitor in the truest sense of the word. But he was thiiiiiis close to being a deserter.

10. Blam320

News Credits:
    I don't recall Mirage every saying that.

• Like Like x 1
  11. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    PRIME: "We knew you were anxious to get back to Cybertron, but at least you could have waited for us."
    MIRAGE: "Sorry, Prime. The ship was... full."

So, the Autobots knew about Mirage's longing to return to Cybertron. This is a "knowing" ribbing - implying Optimus knows he was planning to leave.

Mirage doesn't deny this...but rather goes along with the joke.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Blam320

News Credits:
    I recall that scene, but I don't think it should be interpreted as Mirage was actually planning to leave. This is the Sunbow cartoon, after all, not the Marvel Comics. None of the Autobots have ever really shown a willingness to betray the cause, save for the Dinobots, who actually do go rogue.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ryan F

Ryan F Transform and Roll Out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Many Autobots express a homseickness for Cybertron (for example, Huffer in the US Marvel comic story, "The Next Best Thing to Being There"), but that doesn't mean they would actively betray the cause.

There have been a number of desertions, including Blaster and Goldbug in the comics, First Aid in "The Ultimate Weapon", Hot Rod in "The Burden Hardest to Bear" and Ironhide in "The Immobilizer". Again, I don't really count any of these as acts of betrayal.

There have also been many example of Autobots failing to follow orders properly, including Hot Rod (multiple times, including the Movie, and the comic story "Ark Duty"), Arcee ("Space Pirates"), The Aerialbots ("The Key to Vector Sigma") and the Micromasters ("King Con"). Again, while their actions were unhelpful, they weren't actively hindering or harming their fellow Autobots in any meaningful way, and most found redemption later on.

14. LockdownTF

LockdownTF Well-Known Member

As far as I'm aware side changers and traitors have never really been a big thing in transformers. So there are only two or three examples that come to mind. One being Carnivac from the marvel comics who I believed joined the autobots at one point. Two being Punch/Counterpunch since he's a double agent he's actually an infiltrator but according his background his Counterpunch personna has become a split personality so it could maybe be considered a traitor or fefector if it were to take over completely. The third is Armada Wheeljack. he began as an Autobot and under normal circumstances probably never would have defected but given his circumstances I think it proves Wheeljack was far more loyal than he was traitorous.

15. Blam320

News Credits:
    Didn't Sunstreaker betray the Autobots at one point?

16. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Insert Clever Title Here

News Credits:
    In All Hail Megatron, but he was mostly just tricked by Starscream. If I remember correctly, Suntreaker wanted to get back at the humans for torturing him and gave Starscream Autobot codes but the Decepticons used those codes to cause the downfall of the Autobots. So Sunstreaker wasn't really a true defector, he was just dumb as a shit covered brick for trusting Starscream.

17. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

News Credits:

Blaster & Goldbug left due to irreconcilable differences with Grimlock, who had taken command of the Autobots. The pair felt he was going against the Bots' ideals and left believing they were more committed to the Autobots' cause.

Skids was also away from the group for a while in the comics. Though he didn't leave, it was more a case of abandonment when the Bots couldn't rescue him. I could understand his lack of enthusiasm to rejoin them, though he would have had to go back eventually for maintenance.

18. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Would that make the Dinobots the first traitors? Or did Skyfire betray the Decepticons before that?

19. Blam320

News Credits:
    They're specifically referring to Autobots willingly switching sides and joining the Decepticons. Jetfire was technically neutral, then joined the Decepticons, then joined the Autobots. The Dinobots *have* been manipulated by the Decepticons, and at one point deserted the Autobots, but never outright joined Megatron and wore the badge of their own volition.

20. stephen

stephen Well-Known Member

Ebay: