Who is the Best Decepticon?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Arkimus Prime, Nov 20, 2019.

?

Overall, Which Faction is Best?

1. Autobots

12 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. Decepticons

24 vote(s)
    61.5%
  3. Maximals

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  4. Predacons

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. Arkimus Prime

Arkimus Prime Paleontologist Extraordinaire

News Credits:
    Yeah. This is really just an extension of another thread I did; but seriously. Who's the best Decepticon? (As before, leader doesn't count. Don't say Megatron.)

I would throw my vote to Soundwave, because "Soundwave Superior, Autobots Inferior."

2. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    Why doesn't Megatron count?

3. Arkimus Prime

News Credits:
    Because he's obviously awesome. Leaders are like that; therefore, they don't really count. Optimus didn't count on the Autobot version of this thread.

4. Whomps

Whomps The World's Okayest User

News Credits:
    Soundwave, he's my favorite Transformer in general

• Like Like x 2
  5. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Tidal wave.. I simply really like the toy... three ships, awesome combined mode of mega space batteship, robot looks great, and I simply hope he does end up getting redone with all the articulation of today's generations but still keep the same style and type of ships... Hoping for a Titan to be honest as aside a improved Metroplex as I missed the 30th one, Tidal Wave would be probably the only other Titan I'd consider.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Megatron. The thread asks for the best Decepticon, and that's the best Decepticon in my book. I didn't say Optimus in the Autobot thread because I don't think any Optimus holds that title. Specifically, Animated, and IDW Megatrons. Then Galvatron from Superlink.

Superlink Galvatron awoke from the grave of his own prior body (Super Megatron) in perhaps the most hostile environment ever, to find out that years had passed, his faction had collapsed and that all of his former troops were either Autobot aligned or working for an unknown hostile agent. In the very course of awakening, the General of the hostile agent tried to murder him, then he had to immediately smack him down and start rebuilding his faction again from nothing. From that austere beginning, despite the power of the plot not being on his side, he still managed to become enough of a powerhouse to kick all the Autobots off Cybertron.

Animated Megatron was someone who took a persecuted underclass and made them a galactic threat. Unlike most of the other continuities, the Transformers in Animated held dozens of planets in addition to Cybertron and he threatened them all, taking some, losing others. His faction nearly won the war at several points and it took the Autobots, the good guys making weapons of mass destruction to keep from losing. Even then, unlike other incarnations, this Megatron had the sense not to destroy the very planets he was fighting for and backed off, forming a new galactic empire out of nothing. Even then, he hunted for ways and means to change the status quo without again engaging in a brutal war. Planting agents, learning intelligence data, and seeking the Allspark. Even when he lost, he'd end up winning in some minor to not so minor way. From being disembodied to getting a newer, better body and new troops along the way, to losing the Allspark, but gaining Space Bridge technology and the humans cleverest engineer to build him technology such as signal dampers. He terminated his treacherous Starscream the first chance he got and when the plot didn't allow that death to stick, manipulated him into working for him, knowingly or not.

IDW Megatron had some great moments, but actually none of his combat or leadership moments are why I love him. It was the quiet conversation with Ravage. (And it occurs to me just now that I should add Autobot Megatron to the Autobot list) When Ravage asks him if his being an Autobot is just part of a ploy, a scheme, a trick, something to further Decepticon goals. And Megatron talks about how he's tired, how yet another new body has come at a cost that it doesn't feel right, it doesn't feel like his body anymore. They may be nigh immortal mechanoids, but to see someone who once gave vigorous speeches and fought costly battles to take those steps back and not want to be that person anymore and be someone he wants to be now is a rich experience. Especially when he reveals his entire quest isn't one of redemption or exoneration, but to provide a new home after trashing their current one so he can die knowing his people will have a future that isn't on a planet that can no longer sustain them.

After that it gets a lot harder, mostly because few Decepticons are given a real proper chance to shine, and because a lot of them, even in full length bios are variations on dumb, thug, gross, or bully personalities. Most of the time, it's the alt-mode, gimmick(s), or some superficial characteristic that people take to rather then any real personality attributes.

Onslaughts original profile that was somewhat seen for FoC is a good character, the battlefield commander who stays back and tries to execute his plan, then becomes an enraged berserker when he enters the field because if he's on the field, it means his plans failed and he's just as mad at his own failure in planning as he is the enemy for vexing them. Given that his full profile was written before the, everyone has super high tech specs and powers beyond reason phase of the profiles and instead when they were more well-balanced, his firepower is truly impressive.

Buzzsaw for taking out Omega Supreme in one shot at the start of a battle. o_O 

Leozack. He's a perfectionist with brains. He bothers to plan ahead, he makes sure to eliminate competition to make sure that he's indispensable and unlike certain others, despite believing that he's destined to lead, he doesn't proclaim it every chance he gets, he just silently works towards improvement until he can be the leader. Plus he's got gimmicks in spades and is quite possibly the leader of the most powerful combiner.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Cliffjumper

Cliffjumper Least insane TF fan

News Credits:
    Starscream!

8. Soundwavelover2004

Soundwavelover2004 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Soundwave

• Like Like x 3
  9. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Shockwave.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Shockwave. Devious bastard since his first Marvel appearance. Still one of the most unique looking bot modes even after decades of this franchise.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    All hail Lord Starscream.

12. Subdurmal

Subdurmal Well-Known Member

Cyclonus.
    Soundwave close second.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ErickCruz

ErickCruz Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    What does the thread title have to do with the poll asking for the best faction? Or vice versa?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Arkimus Prime

News Credits:
    And I quote myself in the OPENING STATEMENT OF THIS THREAD:

Read, folks!

15. Arkimus Prime

News Credits:
    Uh... I don't know. I just sorta threw it up there.

Also, while we're on that topic, I'm a bit disappointed. I added the Beast Wars factions so nobody would get angry about me for not having added them, and absolutely nobody threw a vote at them (at the time of this post).

16. ThrustJan

ThrustJan Well-Known Member

I'd say Shockwave but he's one of leaders so in this case I choose Mixmaster,a very useful Decepticon although becomes a cement mixer truck :D  and his laughs when he shoots acid in cave under Autobot base enclose everything of him.

17. Arkimus Prime

News Credits:
    I guess Movie Sentinel technically counts, so I'd say he's my third favorite.

18. Arkimus Prime

News Credits:
    Shockwave counts. Only Megatron doesn't count.

19. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Given that your thread header and your first post aren't asking the same question and you've got a poll that's completely unrelated to the topic, perhaps you should think harder about getting your ducks in a row. I also explained why I chose those particular Megatrons and the issues with other Decepticon characters in general, as well as provided other options as well. So if you think I didn't read your conflicting messages, I did and you just didn't comprehend the point I was making.

Even your own reasoning for excluding Megatron is laughable, it's like a child's reasoning.

First of all, "Don't really count" is counting on some level. Second, "Obviously awesome"? How bland and incorrect it is to affiliate all incarnations of Megatron into the same category. IMHO, Megatron from Transformers Prime is one of the worst characters of the franchise, not as a Megatron, I mean as any character, period. Sunbow Megatron is the epitome of the 80's cartoon villain, sadly making him reductive as a character. I can't think of anything Armada and Cybertron Megatrons/Galvatrons did of any actual note. As as boring or bland as all of them are, at least they serve a point, The Last Knight Megatron is at best a cameo or to use the overused term, Easter Egg; there's no point to him in the movie at all, you could remove him and the other Decepticons and the plot would remain unchanged. You see the point I'm making?

I'm curious as to why that's the case. I also wouldn't mind your explanation as to why Overlord and Deathsaurus would be acceptable but Megatron isn't.

If you want to ask a specific question, ask it. If you just want replies, then expect to get some that you may not have thought of or may not have wanted. Otherwise, as demonstrated over and over, that type of member doesn't last here.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  20. Runamuck86

Runamuck86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Soundwave Superior

• Like Like x 1