Who is Autobot 2nd in command in season 1 and 2?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by galvatron1976, Sep 24, 2011.

1. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    i think it varied. Jazz Prowl and Ironhide were all second in command. the autobots were a large army and prime cant over see everything.

Jazz was more likely the inside guy who made sence of the planet they were on. as i understand it, Jazz was also known for creating some crazy plans that worked. thinking outside the box, and being able to immerse 1s self into makes Jazz a good top subordinate.

Prowl, he's strict. see things through to the end. a real by the book guy. these qualities make him a good subornate as well since you know he'll get it done, and wont quit.

Ironhide is a tough warrior. i think he has probably known prime for a long time, and is more along the lines of primes oldest friend within the cast, and i think he is someone prime can be a bit more frank with. the other autobots seem to have no issue taking orders from him either.

2. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I've always assumed Ironhide to be the Autobots second in command. He was the one shown several times to take command of the Autobots in place of Optimus. And if Jazz was second in command, then why did Optimus give Ultra Mangus the matrix during the movie. Why didn't he say: "Somebody get this thing to Jazz, he's in charge now."????

3. jono83

jono83 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I always thought it was Jazz.

4. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Trying to get the matrix back to Jazz wouldnt have been advisable...and Optimus would have known that.

5. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

What do you mean?

6. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    +rep

I mean for Jazz, I always thought he brought a really human angle to the Autobots that was not only a great asset because that's where they were, but also because it allowed his character to explore a much more informal way of leading that worked well along side Prowl who was often the opposite. Ironhide was the veteran who generally let other roll with the ball, and Prime was a good balance of all of this.

There was also another thread (if not several) that went into the military hierarchy/society of the different factions, and of course how it wasn't a simple case of listing people from highest to lowest rank.

7. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

The Autobots had been runed off their home world, their new home base [Autobot city] was now standing in ruin.....Prime had to consider they possibly had no was off earth.Optimus must have figured that many Autobots had lost their lives defending the city.

And Optimus had to consider the very real possibility that MEGATRON SURVIVED and would soon return to re-attack.

Prime would have been thinking, "the Autobots need a leader now"

8. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

Um, did you watch the last scene featuring Optimus and Jazz together. Jazz was standing right next to Optimus. So if Optimus received a distress call from Blaster on Earth, Jazz would've been right beside him. So how could anything have happened to Jazz during Optimus's trip to Earth? Optimus arrived on Earth and all of the Decepticons were still there. To Optimus's knowledge, Jazz was just fine.

So you're saying that rather than name their second in command as their new leader, he chose to give the matrix to whoever was nearest to him? That still doesn't change that Ironhide was shown several times taking command of the Autobots in Optimus's place, once in Optimus's presence(A Prime Problem). It surprises me that you choose to take some pieces of footage so literally, and choose to completely ignore others.

Hmm. Well that being the case, then I guess you'd have to say that Skywarp had to have become Cyclonus since Bomshell's action figure was a part of the 1986 toy line.

9. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Um,....did you read my post?

Did I say or suggest anything might have happened to Jazz???

No I didnt.

Heres what I said...

"The Autobots had been runed off their home world,[meaning Cybertron] their new home base [Autobot city] was now standing in ruin.....Prime had to consider they possibly had no was off earth.Optimus must have figured that many Autobots had lost their lives defending the city."

As for what Optimus may have thought, it wouldnt be far fetched for Optimus to think the cons attacked the moon bases after he left.But thats just speculation.

No, what I'm saying is that he had very little choises avsalible to him at the time.

And keep in mind, UM may still have been Optimus's first pick either way.

Jazz may have been the 2nd in command of his crew while on earth, but with Prime around.

UM was given command of all earth autobots, with no surpervision.Thats a position higher then 2nd in command when Prime is still around.

What are you talking about?

I havent made any comments about Ironhides status at all.

As for him taking command, he did it what????twice.

Thats no more then Jazz was seen handing out orders.

10. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

Was Ultra Magnus also second in command when he came to Earth in Scramble City?

11. IceMagnus

IceMagnus SSJIcey'95

News Credits:
    I don't like Magnus so I am going with Prowl.

12. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

Then why didn't Prime brought Jazz with him on Earth?

13. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I would say yes.

My guess, he needed to leave someone in charge of the moon bases with the skill needed and he trusted.

14. doucoo

doucoo U're an idiot Starscream!

Ebay:
    My opinion on this is Prowl & Jazz.

Ironhide was more like the strict drill sergent (to me), sorting out the troops for the higher ranks.

15. Sparkykandy

Sparkykandy Well-Known Member

Is kind of confused where people are getting Prowl. Sure, he may had played a bigger role in the comics, (I haven't read enough of the comics to know for sure.) but if I recall correctly, he really didn't get to do anything in the cartoon.

Anyways, the early episodes did make it seem that Jazz was second, but who knows after that.

16. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I agree. Assuming that we're talking about the cartoon, I don't know that I ever remember seeing Prowl in a leadership role. I would definitely say that he might've been Optimus's chief strategist. But I'm not sure if that would necessarily translate to second in command.

17. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    I view it like the way Picard had senior officers as a sort of council to bang ideas against. Prowl being the pure logic strategist, Jazz adding a bit of collateral damage/native species consideration, and Ironhide with a batch of borderline pessimistic realism. As far as who actually steps up? I think it'd be situational. Look at real military units: when a military commander is killed, the executive officer will eventually take command. But if the XO is not present at the time, someone considerably lower ranking may take charge of the forces at the moment, usually being the senior on ground at the time. This would also explain why Ultra Magnus wasn't flown from Cybertron to take control every time Prime was incapacitated.

According to the comics and quite a few expanded profiles, Prowl was second in command. Think of him as Spock to Prime's Kirk.

18. REMINATOR

REMINATOR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For season 1 & 2, I always thought it was Jazz. Then in one episode regarding the double O.Prime, Ironhide pronounced he would take in charged of the Autobots until they figured out who was the real Prime.

I agreed with ABrown. Also in Season4-Rebirth, Prime put UMagnus in charged again before he left for Nebulous.

19. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I had always assumed Jazz.

20. doucoo

doucoo U're an idiot Starscream!

Ebay:
    My assumption came from my childhood, as a child it was from his bios which makes Prowl a rank of 9. That mixed in with the comic and cartoon.

I always saw Prowl as someone that would help Prime with military strategy, Jazz as Special Ops. Both very useful but very different. To me, Prowl would never have been a great all out leader like Prime, but a very good second in command, especially with the stategy side of things. Prowl had intelligence, courage and skill, something I'm sure the other Autobots would have looked up to.

Jazz had the intelligence, courage and skill but at a different angle from Prowl. To me, Jazz was an exciting and daring warrior and thus he would have been looked up to by the Autobots for all his daring.

Just my opinion and just how I saw them as a child. The above is probably not really correct though.

The was a post a while back that more or less hit it on the head for me. You should search for it, it was really imformative.