Who has the best controller?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Gaastra, Dec 7, 2016.

?

What is the best controller?

Poll closed Dec 17, 2016.
  1. PS4 is best!

25.9%
  2. Xbox One wins hands down!

40.7%
  3. Wii U gamepad wins it all!

11.1%
  4. Gamecube controller beats all the new controller!

14.8%
  5. Atari 5200 controller is the winner! No one can beat it in history!

7.4%
  1. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Here is something different to talk about. Out of the game systems what controller is the best? From looks to how it plays, what controller is the best of the best? PS4 vs X-box One vs Wii U!

What do you guys think?

2. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    well i never used ps4 or atari controllers, but out of the ones i did, i'd have to say wii u gamepad. the xbox one is very close, but aside from missing a screen, few of the xbox controllers feel different, even though they're the same makers. its odd.....like a few ridges are lower or something that conflicts against my playstyle. and the trigger button vibrations weird me out. its not bad....just weird

i did love the gc controllers though. i still have my first one.....its orange.

3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Classic: Saturn--although it owes a lot to the NES controller.

Modern: Fucking nobody. Making a halfway decent D-pad seems to be a lost art to anyone but Nintendo. The Wii U gamepad should have been much smaller--maybe slightly larger than a 3DS XL. Sony still hasn't figured out that the most-used directional control belongs in the more natural left position and not offset at the bottom where you have to reach for it. Visual symmetry does NOT translate into ergonomics! The Wii U Pro Controller makes the same symmetry faux pas in reverse, by making you reach for the freaking action buttons. Microsoft would have the winner, except that their D-pad still sucks for anything 2D. This crap should all be so easy to get right. SMFH.

4. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

i got to go with Sony's dualshock PS1,2,3 and 4 contollers.
    gamecube's controller is second
    Xbox One/Xbox 360 are next
    Wii U gamepad and Pro Controller
    Wii's Classic Pro Controller
    even though it was huge, the original Xbox's controller felt great in my large hands
    Dreamcast controller was great
    Nintendo 64's controller looked odd but it became second nature in like 10 minutes.

5. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bit of an odd list. Where's 360, PS3, Wii, OG Xbox, PS2, etc.?

Guess I have to say Xbox since that's the only one on the list I've got.

6. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Out of the current stuff, XB1 for modern games and Wii U Pro for old (or old style) games.

Still not a fan of Sony controllers. The DS4 is much better ergonomically then the arthritis inducing hell of the DS1-3 design, but it fails at being legitimately good at anything by having neither asymmetrical analogue sticks or a D-Pad worth a shit. The battery life is ridiculous as well, my decade old 360 battery packs still last longer then my DS4 did when it was new.

7. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

For me, easily N64's controller. I don't game that much these days, but when I do, I have to look at the controller to see what buttons I'm pressing. I had a helluva time playing Doom on the PS4 when I first got it as I had to keep looking at the buttons while running away from trouble.

8. Menasor

Menasor Jibba Jabberin' Automod

Out of these choices I would say PS4. If I had the elite for X1 then it would probably come out on top, but I've found the PS4 controller a huge step up from the PS3 whereas the X1 isn't a huge improvement for me over the 360.

9. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Personally, it's a 3-way tie between PS3, N64 and SNES

10. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    I have to agree that the PS4 controller is a huge step up over the PS3 controller.

As of the Xb360 to Xb1, the controller already worked great. I'm glad Microsoft didn't do much because it didn't need it. Except for the D pad. The 360 was total crap. Thankfully Xb1 has a usable one.

11. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    -PS3
    -Sega Saturn
    -SNES

12. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

my favorite controllers are;
    mouse and keyboard; the best thing ever conceived for first/3rd person shooters
    ps3, which i know a lot of people like the ps4 controller better, but i like the ps3 controller MUCH better than the ps4.
    logitech F310, the wired one, this is basically a ps3, or maybe closer to a ps2 controller. except i like the d pad more on this than the ps3's.
    xbox 360's controller; having used an xbox one and 360 controller, i must say, like the ps3, i enjoy the previous xbox controller far more than the xbox one's controller. it's only downside is that stupid d pad. i hate the rumble triggers in the 1's. and i dislike the way it handles in my hands. like the 360's controller FAR more.
    the genesis controller; the 6 button controller. yea the snes controller is better than the 3 button controller, but i love the 6 button. it's amazing for fighters, and basically any other game that supports it.
    i can't forget how much i loved the atari 2600's paddle controllers. and the racing one. http://www.jvgs.net/features/atari.jpg

13. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

Any of the PlayStation DualShocks. I grew up playing PlayStation the most, so my hand-eye coordination is hardwired to that format best.

Everyone raves about the Xbox controllers, but I don't really see the big deal. It's mostly the same as the PlayStation except for having triggers and a higher right analog stick. That's my biggest problem. I'm far more used to having both analog sticks right next to each other. I'm getting more used to it the more I play Xbox in my college friend's dorm though, and I didn't have many problems with the GameCube controller.

Mouse and keyboard never felt natural to me.

An Atari joystick is the way to go for retro games.

14. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    In terms of a 'controller' as opposed to a control scheme like keyboard and mouse, then the Xbox 360 has pretty much got the winning formula. If I gotta play a PC game with one, then my trusty 360 for PC controller sees me through with zero fuss.

15. flamepanther

You may be used to it, but ergonomically it's much less natural. That's the big deal about the Xbox One and 360 controllers: ergonomics. If you're equally accustomed or unaccustomed to both, then the Xbox layout is superior, as it places less strain on your thumb tendons and allows easier full range of motion when using the left stick.

16. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    No SNES? List is a sham.

17. Dolza_Khyron

your thumbs must be much bigger than mine, as i have all the room i need, and then some, for the left stick on a ps3/4 controller.

i also have never had either controller put any kind of strain on my thumbs.

18. flamepanther

It's not about thumb size or having enough room. The left side is just closer to the thumb's natural resting position when holding the grip correctly.

19. Dolza_Khyron

i have both a ps3 and a 360 controller, if you think one is more natural than the other, i just don't simply it being true. as the xbox controller requires my thumb to be up, which is not a natural resting position, while my ps3 controller does not. so if anything, it is the 360 that is the one that is the least natural. as one requires me to extend a muscle, aka the 360 to reach it, and the ps3 controller does not. so i don't see how what you are talking about is true at all.

having both xbox and ps controllers, i do say, i do prefer the ps controllers over the xbox controller. the xbox controller is fine. and those triggers are probably great for shooters, but i don't really play a lot of shooters, if i do, it is on pc, with the much superior mouse. heck, i even prefer logitech over my xbox 360 controller. but the xbox controller is a good controller, i am not saying it is a bad one. i think it is just personal preference really.

i like the controllers being symmetrical, it makes finding buttons a whole lot easier when you have dyslexia, like i do. the d pad is on the left and the 4 buttons are on the right, while my thumbs are on the thumbsticks. and that is just the way i prefer it to be. makes it easiest for me to quickly find a button and go back to the stick.

because xbox is not symmetrical, it actually makes it a lot more difficult for me personally to use the d pad. so, i mostly just ignore it.

which is why i prefer logitech controllers over an xbox controller, since it is the same layout as a ps controller.

and i still have no idea what people are talking about when they complain about the r/l 2 buttons on a ps controller. they both play the same to me.

but then again, i don't play many shooters. so that might be where the difference is.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

That has always been my point when people argue about controllers. Comfortable positions are a subjective opinion. For example, I feel comfortable sleeping on my side while my brother likes to sleep flat on his back. It's really the same deal with controllers. Of course there are outright bad controllers too, but that is usually due to poor responsiveness, poor button placement, short battery life, or other factors more related to the game/console.

• Like Like x 1