Who else totally sucks at organization?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Aimless Misfire, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Aimless Misfire

Aimless Misfire Banned

News Credits:
    I'll have to try that. I have a couple brand new foam boards here that I never used.

2. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

Get rid of the boxes. In addition to simply being a waste of space they're also too "busy" to look good in a display, especially one that is already filled to the tits by multicoloured things.

Less random placements. There really does not appear to be any rhyme or reason to where stuff goes. Stuff doesn't appear to be grouped by line, season, faction, or any other discernible theme. Most of those shelves look like someone that knows nothing about Transformers grabbed a whole bunch and put them on the shelves. Looks more like a store selling someone's random collection.

Stop covering every single flat surface with robots. Maybe get rid of some of those duplicates (like why are there two sharkticon Megatrons both in alt mode side by side?).

Use the vertical space. Use nondescript boxes, clear acrylic risers, other such items, to raise figures up. This works well for making a small out-of-scale figure look bigger and allows figures in the back of the display to show through much better. Think of your old grade school class photos.

Characters and alt modes that fly can be hung from the underside of a shelf.

The single biggest thing you can do to make that look nice is to stop cramming so bloody many figures in there. This seems to be a very common issue with Transformers collectors specifically. LESS IS MORE.
    There's so much stuff there you can't really see of it. The figures need some space to breathe and not get lost in the rainbow see of plastic.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

I save boxes and keep some MISB that I think look really good in the box. lol. I store all my empties and extras in the small bedroom on the 3rd floor and in the loft in our garage. I am out of space in the actual room I display in and it's a full size bedroom. :(  I've been toying around selling some of the older stuff that hasn't been out of storage in years. Some of it literally has been in storage for a decade.

4. Aimless Misfire

Aimless Misfire Banned

News Credits:
    Any tips on how to cut the foam board perfectly straight?

1. Army builder
    2. I always buy Sharkticons in 3. Not sure why.
    3. They were on clearance really cheap.
    4. I was planning to repaint them into actual Sharkticon colors. Just haven't gotten to it yet.

As for the room, I haven't actually started to put it together. It looks like it's just piled up randomly because it is. I just got the shelves & haven't started organizing any of it yet. I'm working on casting Computron's feet. I've been waiting to get proper feet for all my combiners because they're going to be my main focus. I should be done with them in a week or 2. I can't afford to buy the ones on ebay, even the cheapest ones add up to around $300.

5. ToasterPrime

ToasterPrime Toast maker

No words of wisdom come to mind. I use the usual craft cutting board, a run of the mill cutting knife and my old ruler that half the time I find is too long and half the time is too short.
    DSC01034.JPG

And to be frank, I don't do "perfectly straight". I do "good enough".
    The "perfect" way of doing this stuff just sucks the fun outta of it for me.
    The picture from my last post showed one of my more elaborate mock-ups. But most of my bots are standing on one of these:
    DSC01037.JPG
    Simple 3 piece assembly.
    DSC01041.JPG
    And pretty strong too.
    DSC01039.JPG
    I use black cardboard to wrap the foam-board assembly and make it look better than it is.
    If I pull down one of the risers that was featured in my previous post and open it up, you see this: DSC01035.JPG DSC01036.JPG

The perfect way is whatever works for you.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  6. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    Organization? What is this nonsense that you speak of? :eek: :D :p 

20190905_125346.jpg
    20190905_125326.jpg
    20190905_125225.jpg

Display cabinets? What are those? ;) 

• Like Like x 2
  7. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime "Essential" Personnel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is me now. We just bought our house and I would love to eventually get a corner in our basement with shelves. As it stands now, I've STARTED to go through some totes and at least bag figures up with their accessories. Shit its gonna be alot of generic ziplocs

8. Aimless Misfire

Aimless Misfire Banned

News Credits:
    Oh, ok! That's where I'm at too. I was just wondering if you had some kind of huge paper cutter that makes perfectly straight edges.

This video helped. I think my mistake was using a dull blade. I try to use blades as long as possible to get my money's worth.

• Like Like x 1