Who else genuinely likes the movies?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Jetstorm, Oct 1, 2017.

1. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer D&D newbie

News Credits:
    While they all are pretty terrible from a critical standpoint, I can't help but love them all. I don't even know why I like them, but I do.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Because critics ignore all the things we love in Movies! They just don't see them!

3. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    Or you just ignore the things they dislike.

• Like Like x 3
  4. FACEBOX

FACEBOX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I enjoy the good parts....and cringe during the bad. It's like a Rollercoaster ride.

I like most of the cast, Bay's unique camera angles, love the CGI and musical score.... but the writers should be taken out back and disposed of. Parts of the plot and some of the lines make me think "OMG why is this happening!?".

5. Sideways77

Sideways77 #1 flareup simp

News Credits:
    I don't think they're the best things in the world, but I do find some enjoyment out of them. It's the anti-movie circlejerk that's been going for 10 years that's old.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I'm just curious what is the best thing in the world for you?

7. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

Bumping my old thread because I’m seeing a lotttt of negativity toward the Bay movies resurfacing with Bumblebee’s release.

Meanwhile, I’ve gone back and rewatched the original five because I enjoyed Bumblebee so much and still love these movies a lot.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First 4 for sure.
    TLK has to be in small doses, not from beginning to end. So much wasted potential. It killed the franchise, and if we want to see the Bay continuity forward we have to just remove it from canon, though I prefer we continue on the path Bumblebee is going.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BumblebeeNotOP

BumblebeeNotOP Autobot Second-In-Command

News Credits:
    Looking for a Camaro to get rid of godawful VW Bug
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Bumblebee just made me even love the original 5 movies more. I’m not saying I hated or did not like Bumblebee, it just felt incomplete for me. It just made me long for the old days of adventure, spectacle and action.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Miyaren

Miyaren Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Loved the movie
    I was into beast wars in my teens but grew out after car robots
    Tf07 drew me back tho and I haven’t stopped collecting in the last 11 years.
    Loved aoe the best; to me everything was perfect about it (well maybe not the random product placements) and awe inspiring.
    Tlk and rotf disappointed me following the highs of Tf07 and Aoe....

• Like Like x 3
  11. Miyaren

News Credits:
    Exactly the same....bumblebee was nice but felt like major chucks were missing...like where is the true climax??

• Like Like x 1
  12. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    That's been said of everything ever and it's never true.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    I do enjoy them. I definitely think they take a bit too much hate from the general public (and even critics), especially since other equally dumb blockbusters often get praised for being 'mindless fun'. There's a lot about the Transformers movies that you just can't get elsewhere. If you want to see giant robots in live-action, there's next to nothing available. It's not like superhero fiction, where there are plenty of options to choose from. Also, even if you think Bay's action is messy and confusing (I do), you have to admit it's big and grand in scale. Overall his movies just feel big and expensive.

I must admit that Bumblebee has made my cynicism for the Bay movies return a little bit. Bumblebee made me realize what we could have been getting for the past ten years. For me, Bumblebee was one of those once-in-a-lifetime experiences where I'm practically seeing a dream come to life...better than how I dreamed it, even. It did so many things I've been wanting to see in a Transformers film since...well, since I became a fan of the brand. For me Bumblebee is Transformers, and the Bay movies are...just an interpretation of it. Bumblebee is easily one of my top 5 favorite movies ever, but the Bay movies probably don't even crack my top 50 or even 100. Still, I do enjoy seeing other people's interpretations of art, and I have a good amount of respect for what Bay did. There is a lot of good stuff mixed in there, and I'm certainly glad we got them as opposed to nothing. I do kind of hope that era is behind us though.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

My answer remains the same. I genuinely, unironically enjoy the Bay movies as well as Bumblebee. I don't think they're any less authentic than the Bumblebee movie as Transformers movies.

If anything...unpopular opinion here...while there are things the Bee movie did better, there were also plenty of things the Bay movies did better. Both have excellent visual effects and scenery for the most part. I think the Bee movie did the "Girl and her car" aspect very well. The Bee movie is more of a family film, which one could argue should be the demographics Transformers should target. That said, I think Bay depicted the war and its effects on Transformers and humans alike very well, and Bay's robots have a visual and audio on-screen presence that was...dare I say it...missing from the Bee movie in many scenes. Like when Lockdown walked down the highway...or Barricade transformed in 2007...the combination of visuals and sound made it seem like a giant alien presence. And I also think Bay captured the pleasant science fiction-fantasy weirdness of Transformers. Although I kind of want to see Knight's take with a more daring script than Hodson's to see if he could also capture the same weirdness, because his work at Laika shows he has a great visual imagination.

To me, the Bay movies are like a mountain chain with some major valleys, but also with some very high peaks that are more common than given credit. Bumblebee is so safe and nostalgic for G1 and 2007 fans alike that it's like a high-but-flat plateau that rises above the valleys of the Bay films, but doesn't attain the same elevation of their higher peaks. I'm not a domesticated Galvatross who grazes on the plains with a herder and a sheepdog. I'm a wild Galvatross that frolics amongst the slopes, regardless of whether I encounter bears or wild cats or undiscovered ruins or some sort of Yeti-like creature forgotten by mankind. And when it comes to an over-the-top brand like Transformers, I greatly prefer rugged mountains to an enjoyable yet safe trek across a flat plain.

Going forward, I don't think the answer is 100% Bay's style or something in the exact vein of the Bumblebee movie either. Personally, I'd love to see something with a smaller visual scale and fewer plot points and characters than The Last Knight, but also something that captures the many good things about the Bay movies.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  15. Miyaren

News Credits:
    If there is a similarly scaled bumblebee 2 I can see the public to start miss the scale of bays work

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I genuinely like some of the movies. The first two I just unabashedly love. DOTM I find a bit hard to watch, actually, mostly due to the human-focused parts where no one is acting like a real person. AOE is fine, it's just so long. And TLK, well, I saw it twice in the theater and didn't like it much and I haven't watched it again since then, so it's probably getting time to give it a rewatch and see if I still dislike it. And Bumblebee was fantastic.

17. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I will miss theorising the Bayverse. They're not good overall, but when it does right or when it does something interesting, I'm invested with it.

It's shame how broken some people have become because of those movies. (Not me though :D )

18. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    TF07, DOTM and Bumblebee I think are good movies. The rest, not so much.

19. GrimlocksDad

GrimlocksDad Member

I love them, they are all flawed films but they brought me back into Transformers in the build up to TF07. During that time my family was dealing with some hard times and Transformers gave me something to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Now 12 years later I have several Transformers on display (mainly Masterpiece and the Movie line), 3 Transformers tattoos, Decepticon decals on my car and might have named my 2 dogs Grimlock and Snarl.

20. SoundSlash

SoundSlash Our war is just finishing up

I can go back and forth watching the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th movie. The 4th one can just go directly to Earths "inner core".