Who do you think is superior?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Transbot90210, Oct 7, 2011.

?

Which is the superior figure?

1. Giant

13 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. Hercules

29 vote(s)
    69.0%
  1. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Nobody calls soundwave uncharismatic!

2. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    1. I wouldn't have minded this poll, cept we have too many polls going on at once about Hercules and it WILL annoy many members. I was already dreading when I started my poll, which was the second on the first page, after Eddie's. However, transbot, this is really bad, since we got 3 polls now. We are skimming along the borderline.

2. Eddie's numbers, while are facts, cannot be interpreted in the way that it was. Transbot already elaborated on this, but I wish to go further. So lets compare:

For starters, Hercules was the first to be revealed as a classics devy. Naturally, this drives interest of every fan who wants a classics devy to post, so the "start of just a few days" actually gives it a lot of weight. Compared to Giant, whose reveal was weeks later, if not months, after Devy, ofcourse the interest would diminish (its still a lot of interest, but none-the-less, less.) In fact there were probably more talks of "another devy?!" instead of "ZOMG this is badass" in the beginning. I remember we argued about whether its a good thing or not that 2 third party companies are doing similar things at similar times.

Second, Devy has a lot of mystery to it when it first started. Namely, the price, and the size. In the beginning, when not everyone was bored and deadbeat about pricing discussions, Hercules was the talk. Not only that, purely the speculation of its size given the misleading photos and information generated A LOT of talk. We had at least 60 pages worth of how tall is here, and analysis from TFC and insider statements along with photo estimation. The talk for height continues after Exgraver was released, and still debated. IN COMPARISON, when Giant was FIRST revealed, it stood next to FP bruticus, something that most members interested in this devy, probably have! This side by side dismantled any rumors or guessing needed for height, and generated less discussions. What did you expect? They provided CLEARER info, and generated less "post" from tfw2005. So that's something AGAINST them? non-sense. Those post number means absolutely nothing but uncertainty.

Third, Exgraver was released, while nothing from Giant was heard of from months. Hercules threads were dying for a good dry few weeks (people got tired of pricing, badassness, and height discussion going around in circles). Then when Exgraver released, it naturally sparked the continuation of these discussions. Plenty of people commented on the height, but also brought along a new issue/discussion: QC and material quality. Both of these CANNOT be discussed without product in hand, something that Giant does not have, yet. Simply said, a product that is hyped that is recently released will generate a lot of talks.

Fourth, Hercules have had a release schedule released quite a while before Maketoys. They also released images of all 6 alt mode and robot mode, compared to Giant's... combined photo ONLY until this week, when we got 1 bot mode and 6 alt mode.

How can the numbers even "speak for itself" is beyond me.

3. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Your points are all very good and well thought out. I only object to number 4. TFC only released the dates after Giant was announced because they were losing a lot of pre orders at that time. I called it at the time and so far I am right that the dates were pulled out of a hat. They have yet to hold on to one release date. I think the only dates they have hope of holding up to are the last two because of the huge gap.

My simplified thought. Giant looks better but Hercules is more impressive.

4. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    You are right on that. I forgot about that. But for a while, they were "Stalemate" in terms of photos, and then Hercules start to have a lot more surfaced; so it can't really be said that based on posts and views, that's considered "it"

5. RoccaDNB

RoccaDNB Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looking at the thread title: Soundwave.

But, It depends what you're using him for,
    As a standalone statue/impressive thing: Hercules:
    But to go realistically with a collection(and FP Bruticus) Giant.

6. G.I.EDDIE

G.I.EDDIE Purple treads suck!

News Credits:
    on its own, you're right, post/view/thread count data means little, BUT coupled with the polls paints a completely different picture...

7. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    My real question is why does it matter to everyone? Is it like a pissing contest between Herc and Giant purchasers?

I think just throw them in a blender, turn on the blender and the figure to survive wins. They both look great.

8. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    My post was to address this post above of yours. How you stated there is clearly a winner, AFTER you stated the view and post amounts of the threads, implying that your conclusion was drawn from here.

I don't really care which Devy wins at the end, since I am getting all of them, but flawed data interpretation in such sense, I do want to call out.

The polls themselves are biased. If you read my posts, I acknowledge even in my own poll thread: its semi-useless, the data can be highly biased. So those things really can't be a judge.

I echo what many members, some of whom I stand on the same line, some of whom I argue a lot with, say: It doesn't really matter.

Again: I don't care how the discussion/poll ends; but I think people should either state their opinion and when they use evidence to back it up, realize the flaws in the data being collected.

edit:: one last part to address:

I believe that Hercules and Giant were designed under different aesthetics taste, and I believe "which one is superior" is solely an opinion question, and there are no real facts. We *could* look at something more factural, like which one is designed and executed better. This, however, is dependent on execution and QC, none of which we can comment right now except for Exgraver. (which is very good)

9. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    This is no different than car guys arguing Corvette vs Camero or hockey guys arguing Gretzsky or Lemieux.

When two similar thing appear it is human nature to pick sides.

The other thing about thread count. Maketoys revealed everything but the head and colour of Giant in about 4 pictures. It took TFC about 100 pictures and we still have no final colours or exact height. 100 pictures is going to generate a lot more hype and discussion than 4.

10. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I still would like for someone to throw both in the blender and have them turn it on to see who survives.

11. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    Hercules because it comes with the parts for TFC Menasor!

12. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    You are buying both aren't you?

I look forward to your video of that :D 

13. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Ok I know this comment is a troll job but damn what a troll job. My first reaction was WHAT??!!??

14. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hercules. Not that I think Giant looks like a terrible figure, and I probably would have gotten it if it had come out before Hercules, but Hercules is a lot nicer.

15. Astronopolis

Astronopolis Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Soundwave superior

16. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    I wonder how many people are saying Hurcules, purely because they've already bought Exgraver, and have already put money down on the second one?

Just a thought.

Anyhoos, Giant for me.

17. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Hercules. Great size and good looking modes all around, unlike Giant.

18. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 A real stand-up guy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Hercules individuals look awsome but it just doesn't look as good as Giant when in combined mode and I always display combiners in their giant robot mode so I'd go with Giant, but FP should either lower down the shoulders or make the head bigger.