Customs: White paint issues

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Mr Megatron, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Mr Megatron

Mr Megatron Emperor of Destruction

Been trying to paint up my studio series roadbuster, and tried painting up the white parts with testers white acrylic. The paint comes out real clumpy and inconsistent. Is there anything I can do to remedy this? Like wet sanding or watering down the paint?

image.jpg

2. JackKnife

JackKnife Kitbashing Space Truck

I would definitely try wet sanding or otherwise removing the paint. As a point of fact: unless it's a relatively small area, I have found using rattle-can paints and masking works better for white. But if hand-painting is your only option, try thinning the paint to the consistency of milk, and then doing several thin layers instead of one thick layer.

What I would do for your part here:

1) remove the layer of white paint with alcohol (if you have it), or wet sand it until you get it to where it is smooth.

2) mask off what you don't want painted, and use a decent white spray paint (Tamiya or Rustoleum for plastics).

3) Let that dry, then use a FINE sandpaper (1000 grit or better) to lightly sand the demarcation line between the green and the white).

4) Clearcoat and you're good to go!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mr Megatron

Mr Megatron Emperor of Destruction

I will definitely try this thank you!!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Grimwolf100

Grimwolf100 Well-Known Member

white is a paint to hand paint. sand, prime and use light coats that are thinned out and wait for each one to dry

5. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    for white paint, it's never fun to handbrush. ive had better results with citadel's whites, and tamiya whites.

my friend adds a tiny bit of blue to his testors whites to help with coverage, but i've never done that.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JackKnife

JackKnife Kitbashing Space Truck

My dad used to do house painting, and that's a trick he learned back years ago. I've tried it, and it does seem to help.

• Like Like x 2
  7. AtomicJones

AtomicJones Banned

Testors Model Master white needs the be thinned using distilled water if you're using it out of the bottle. Tamiya spray TS-26 Pure White is the easiest to spray on and use. Tamiya Lacquer paints dry to the touch in under and hour and completely cure in 24 hours. Rust-Oleum or Krylon white, even Plastic Fusion doesn't cure for 7+ days and cover thick. So unless you're looking to do the entire figure white and want to work on it a week later go with Tamiya. Hobbylinc usually has them for $7 a can.