Which transformers continuity is the best?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Jayden tillman, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Jayden tillman

Jayden tillman Member

Please share your opinions concerning this question!

2. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    Wow. That's a loaded question.

In terms of media, probably the Beast Wars cartoon. It's the standard in television story telling within the brand.

If we exempt cartoons, I'd go with Generation One Marvel - both with or without the UK additional material. Bonus points for G2 and negative points for IDW's Regeneration One.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Smokeyoreo18

Smokeyoreo18 Well-Known Member

YouTube:
    I’ll probably go with the aligned continuity
    Mostly because they gave a lot of great things like: the cybertron games, prime ( which is imo the best transformers show), rescue bots and the starscream arc from rid 2015

animated comes close the only reason why it isn’t the best is because it didn’t have a proper ending and the human villains who were the worst things ever

then g1 they gave us beast wars/ machines and the 1986 movie but watching it now is kind of hard especially with the animation

• Like Like x 1
  4. Soundwavelover2004

Soundwavelover2004 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    All of them minus kiss players

• Like Like x 2
  5. jaws

jaws Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    G1 that started it all!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Likes Alpha Bravo

There's a lot of untapped potential in Animated's backstory, but unfortunately it's exactly that: untapped potential. However, TFA is still a serious competitor even just acknowledging what we see in the show. Aligned was a dumpster fire of a continuity, and the same can be said for the Bayverse up to eleven. UT is alright. G1, including the Beast Era is really diverse, with a lot to like. TFA is close, but I think I gotta give it to G1.

• Like Like x 2
  7. prowl07

prowl07 Well-Known Member

G1 Marvel with the UK stories. IDW's Regeneration One is a good albeit rushed continuation.

8. TheUltimateBum

TheUltimateBum Nautica Lover

Personally, I don't think there's any "best" continuity. There are good ones, sure, but there are still major continuity issues within them.

The closest to what I consider best would be Marvel G1/G2. Why? Because despite the fact that it couldn't wrap up some plot threads and you could tell that there were times where the toy-selling aspect was the main thing, it did give us the best versions of the characters we could get. Honestly, it had the best versions of Ratchet, Shockwave, Bludgeon, Thunderwing, Scorponok and Nightbeat. It also had some of the most solid storylines. Even the more offbeat stories with characters like Robot-Master, Joey Slick and the Mechanic were great, and it's the reason why despite all my misgivings for TFA, you will never hear me complain about the human villain characters (since I always felt they were better and more entertaining villains than most of the Decepticons).

Also, Optimus and Megatron. Although I'm not fond of them, one thing that I can't deny is that Budiansky and Furman wrote them perfectly. The only other person that has come close to their writing for the characters is David Wise, who I felt truly understood the character of Optimus.

Marvel UK also had some great stories like The Enemy Within, Man of Iron, Stargazing (which I feel it's the first time a story showed us a more sympathetic side to Starscream) and Space Pirates (which I really loved thanks to Rodimus/Hot Rod and Arcee being basically the characters carrying most of the story) are just wonderful stories featuring some nice characterization as well as action.

Plus, you gotta have respect for the Marvel writers for actually having the guts at trying to come up with the backstories and some pretty daring concepts. They basically laid the groundwork while the cartoon basically told the story in its own way.

Some plots are goofy, but honestly, I felt they mostly worked (unless it's something like Pretender to the Throne, which if it wasn't for the fact that it progresses the Optimus Prime revival story, it would really be one of the most superfluous stories around, since there is no logical reason for the Autobots and Decepticons to disguise themselves as organic creatures when they already can transform).

The artwork could be considered dated nowadays, sure, but honestly, it was the best they could do at the time. They had tight deadlines, multiple character models and had to basically try and memorize them to use in the story. And yes, there were mistakes made, but honestly, I have nothing but respect for the artists, because despite the errors made, they rose up to the challenge and just tried to give us the best they could do with the time they had and the models. Also massive amounts of respect to Nel Yomtov for staying through the whole US G1 run. It really must have been hard for him to keep up with the color models and delivering the colored art on time.

So yeah, it's really Marvel G1 for me. Again, it's flawed, but I don't think there's any TF continuity that isn't. They all have their chinks.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hellebore

Hellebore Active Member

I pretty much only experienced g1. I avoided armada et Al when it came out and only started back with prime (which I loved).

I'll tell you what I don't like though - a tiny cast of characters. G1 was unique in that they were committed to using the huge range of toys they acquired, so they incorporated them in all sorts of ways, from background characters to one shot focus stories.

It gave the setting a large feel, like it really was the entire planet at war rather than 5 plucky heroes. It felt like a force rather than a d&d party.

Hasbro hasn't seemed keen on that, as they focus on the popular bots to make a tiny squad of main characters (I love prime, but not for this reason).

The other thing was that g1 had fewer decepticons and they were generally larger than Autobots. It gave them a menace and sense of military superiority, which worked with the concept that the Autobots were all civilian militia fighting against a superior foe.

I haven't really gotten those same notes since g1.

Some may dislike a huge roster for its inability to give much time to anyone, but that's what I liked about it. They were all as special as each other (read: not at all), having a name didn't make you a Character, it made you a person. It made battles more intense knowing it was Ironhide and prowl fighting rather than npc bot 1 and 2.

Anyway, whether by accident or not, the scope of g1 and the variety was what I liked most. I don't need Optimus to be the protagonist, he's just one bot in an army.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cliffjumper

Cliffjumper And awaaaaaay we go!

News Credits:
    Nothing is best. Whatever yout opinion is you may have it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi someone please return the slab

News Credits:
    Animated is my favourite series of all the series I’ve watched.

• Like Like x 1
  12. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    the one I'm building in my comic. :p ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  13. Blackout32

Blackout32 PANTERA FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Well my opinion for this question is (WHAT EVER you grew up watching) so that too me answers that burning question.

14. AMG

AMG Old School

My favorite continuity is G1 -> Beast Wars -> Beast Machines.

15. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Which G1? There ist more than one G1 continuity. G1 Marvel US? G1 Marvel UK? G1 Sunbow cartoon? G1 Japanese cartoons?

16. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Well-Known Member

I'm going with G1 since a) it's the longest continuity, and b) the most varied.

Longest, because it containts G1, G2, possible Machine Wars (what little there is), Beast Wars and Beastmachines -- with the added option of including the Japanese series (Scramble, HM, MF, Vic, Zone and side lines) and things like Universe and the Botcon comics. That makes it a continuity that spans many years, several series, multiple lead characters, a large range of supporting characters...

And in G1 there are so many splinter continuities (Marvel, tech spec/bio, cartoon, Dreamwave, IDW & arguably Cyberverse) that there simply is something for everyone.

And within G1 my favourites are Marvel, BW and IDW

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  17. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    1. Sunbow G1/Beast Wars/Beast Machines
    2. Marvel UK
    3. Animated
    4. Marvel US ending with the G2 comic
    5. Bayverse
    6. Japanese G1

Most anything else, I can take or leave.

18. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

News Credits:
    I was gonna say Kiss Players but that's technically G1 isn't it? So G1 I guess.

:3

19. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

Tech specs get no luv

20. Magnum Dongus

Magnum Dongus Stupid Idiot

But what is the point if they aren’t even given any time to be these characters? If they are Ironhide and Prowl but they’re not able to be distinct characters, then there’s not really any difference from them being npc bot 1 and 2.

• Like Like x 1