Which size class offers the best value for money?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bass X0, Jul 12, 2020.

1. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    Currently, I'd say Voyagers.

2. power3921

power3921 Well-Known Member

Back in the early 2010s, I'd have said deluxes, but nowadays probably voyagers

3. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It completely depends on how much you pay for the figure and how much you value it and several factors.

Voyager Apeface for 40$, absolutely not. Voyager Apeface for 5$ liquidation price, heck yes...

I fell like any Siege/ER that I paid the full price for was not.. bought on sale, made those ones closer to it.
    But I did buy many simply because the sales are rare, and I didn't want to take the chance to miss out on a figure I wanted.

At regular prices, not a single class it really a best value.

• Like Like x 1
  4. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    I'd assume the point of the thread is at MSRP.
    I mean, I got Shockwave for like $30 and still felt completely ripped off by how small he is.
    (and his extra stuff is so incredibly pointless and dumb I just can't even give that one a little credit...)

• Like Like x 1
  5. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi every copy of obakachantachi 64 is personalized

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Voyagers carry the best value for me these days. My ideal action figure size has been the ones in the 5-6 inch range of height and Voyagers do that. They're also (IMO) the overall least compromised of the three classes. Voyagers now feel just as complex and solid as those from ROTF. I can't say the same for the Leaders and Deluxes.

6. RussianSentaiFan

RussianSentaiFan Well-Known Member

Sure, the Battles and Micros are overpriced. Actually would be good to sell Micros at their current price, but with a randomly packed Battlemaster. Sure, if you need a particular Battlemaster, you can buy it. If you want Micros, you buy them and get a bonus Battlemaster to buff up your colletction. Yes, the Battlemaster would be random, but can there be too many blast effects or tiny guys?

7. imfallenangel

News Credits:
    And that's my point.. at full price, there is not one class that a best value, it comes down to the figures themselves simply because they are all overpriced without exceptions.

As one figure can come with some range of accessories like Ratchet (deluxe) did, he might represent that the deluxe being a best value, but then you take Impactor that's so empty that he looks cheap as heck for a deluxe, so he kills the deluxe class. Someone else might see the opposite.

Every figure needs to be evaluated for it's own merit (1-5, 1 being best and worth getting, for engineering and fun factor)

Sticking with Siege only for this, nad if you look at the list, and then realize that you can't judge commander or Titan with just a single or two figures.:

Battle Masters : Overpriced but lowest priced, some are repetitive molds. They get bonus points due to battle effects.
    3 WFC-S1 Firedrive
    3 WFC-S2 Lionizer
    3 WFC-S3 Blowpipe
    3 WFC-S16 Pteraxadon
    3 WFC-S17 Aimless
    3 WFC-S30 Caliburst
    1 WFC-S31 Smashdown
    3 WFC-S44 Singe
    3 WFC-S45 Rung

Micromasters: Most were nice, but some very very loose, I got tired of the low quality mid-way (aside the cassettes)
    4 WFC-S4 Roadhandler & Swindler (Race Car Patrol)
    2 WFC-S5 Storm Cloud & Visper (Air Strike Patrol)
    4 WFC-S6 Autobot Topshot & Flak (Battle Patrol)
    1 WFC-S18 Laserbeak & Ravage (Soundwave Spy Patrol)
    4 WFC-S19 Red Heat & Stakeout (Rescue Patrol)
    4 WFC-S32 Decepticon Blackjack & Hyperdrive (Sports Car Patrol)
    4 WFC-S33 Autobot Powertrain & Highjump (Off Road Patrol)
    1 WFC-S46 Decepticon Rumble & Ratbat (Soundwave Spy Patrol 2nd Unit)
    4 WFC-S47 Direct-Hit & Power Punch (Battle Squad)

Deluxe Class: each one had pros and cons, mostly the gaps and lack of accessories

1 WFC-S7 Sideswipe
    3 WFC-S8 Cog (Weaponizer)
    2 WFC-S9 Autobot Hound
    2 WFC-S10 Skytread
    4 WFC-S20 Chromia
    3 WFC-S21 Ironhide
    3 WFC-S22 Autobot Sixgun (Weaponizer)
    2 WFC-S23 Prowl
    1 WFC-S35 Red Alert
    1 WFC-S36 Refraktor
    3 WFC-S37 Brunt (Weaponizer)
    2 WFC-S41 Barricade
    4 WFC-S42 Autobot Impactor
    2 WFC-S43 Autobot Mirage
    1 WFC-S48 Spinister
    3 WFC-S49 Crosshairs

Voyager Class: each one had pros and cons, mostly the gaps and lack of accessories
    2 WFC-S11 Optimus Prime
    4 WFC-S12 Megatron
    1 WFC-S24 Starscream
    2 WFC-S25 Soundwave
    2 WFC-S38 Autobot Springer
    1 WFC-S39 Thundercracker
    4 WFC-S50 Apeface

Leader Class: each one had pros and cons, mostly the gaps and lack of accessories or how low design the accessories were.
    2 WFC-S13 Ultra Magnus
    3 WFC-S14 Decepticon Shockwave
    4 WFC-S40 Galaxy Upgrade Optimus Prime
    2 WFC-S51 Astrotrain

Commander Class: while a great figure, is still has a few issues with loose hands, the terrible kibble in the underbelly of the jet mode
    3 WFC-S28 Jetfire

Titan Class: so close, but the translucent plastic for the claw gives it a huge "con", and hip area could have been done better.
    1 WFC-S29 Omega Supreme (w/ Autobot Countdown)

So if you were to do an average, the deluxe class would win simply because of the numbers. And note that anyone else would probably have very different numbers.

8. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

If we’re talking about cost per unit weight, probably Titans? Six times the mass of a leader (I think) for 3 times the price. If we’re talking about playability and features, probably voyager or commander.

9. Gumblor Gimbles

Gumblor Gimbles Overjoyed at the prospect of buying a plastic rat

News Credits:
    Here in the UK, it’s WFC Voyagers. Only £5 more than deluxes, with a set size for the most part. The worst value, however, is SS Voyagers. A full £8-9 more than deluxes for only slightly more plastic.

10. misterd

misterd Multifaceted nerd

Based only on WFC, I'd say Voyager. 50% markup on Deluxes, but it feels like more than a 50% bump in quality. I mean the worst Voyager is Apeface but even he is fun once I got the hang of the transformation.

I totally get the love for the Commander class, but for me that's going a bit too big. I have more fun with figures that are easy to hold in one hand.

11. RussianSentaiFan

Some iron logic we have here. But in terms of both playability and financial feasibility. So I have the money to buy a Voyager and a Bartle Master or 2 deluxes. I would take option 1 for BLAST EFFECTS and HUGE (in comparison to my mostly deluxe and small KO collection) ROBOT, but what would you choose?

12. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Blue=Sarcasm; Purple=Snarkcasm

His combined Starship mode and Surfboard mode are cool. The 'super robot' is eh but the idea of 4 arms and 3 guns and only one hand is totally "Shockwave" to me.

I actually get much more "play value" out of Shockwave than Magnus' trailer and his super robot is better articulated than Unit Magnus.

Plus Shockwave's Armor can Weaponize with other cons.

Armada Callback anyone? Tidal Wave's JP name was Shockwave and Siege Shockers' Big Starship Mode is a reference to TW's Cybertronian ship mode which ITSELF was a callback to the Space Gun.

received_243937183620278.jpeg Screenshot_2020-07-13-10-09-17.png Screenshot_2020-07-13-10-11-59.png Screenshot_2020-07-13-10-12-19.png

• Like Like x 1
  13. RussianSentaiFan

You are totally right. Shockwave is one of the best leaders.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Blue=Sarcasm; Purple=Snarkcasm

Best of the 3 'armor up' Leaders from Siege for sure.

15. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer Yoinkus

News Credits:
    If I walk through the Walmart toy isle, there is not one other $20/$30/$50 toy on the shelf that's a better deal than a Transformer figure of the same price. Better quality materials, nicer to look at, much more advanced engineering to have two or more entirely different modes and generally full articulation to boot. The only other kid aimed toy brand that equals Transformers in quality is Legos, but even their prices are often too high for what you're getting

It always confuses me when adults complain that their child aimed toys aren't high enough quality when they're already much higher quality for what you pay than just about any other toy in a store

• Like Like x 1
  16. imfallenangel

News Credits:
    Not as much as the reading level of some adult and their need to justify something that isn't relevant.

17. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Well-Known Member

Commander. Jetfire would've cost close to $200 if he were a third party toy and he would've been worth the money.

• Like Like x 2
  18. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer Yoinkus

News Credits:
    You stated that "they are all overpriced without exception." Overpriced compared to what? When every other toy at the same price is of lesser quality, how are Transformers overpriced?

19. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Professional Lawn Mower

News Credits:
    Depends on the figure, I'd say Cliff and Hoist are the best "Bang for your buck" so far. I say the Voyager class stays the most consistent between all of its releases in build, articulation, size, and accessories.

20. imfallenangel

News Credits:
    The question was about best value for money.

Compared to previous lines, compared to inflation, compared to cost involved, market pricing of plastics and other related costs. But more importantly, I also was comparing figures in one class do outdo other figures of the same class, so that's comparing them to each other.

But to bury your "argument", you can buy some massive toys that are quite detailed for much less than TFs, for example, some Hot wheels sets, Marvel toys, and with the younger crowd, the PJ masks, Imaginext (have you even looked at either of their transforming Millenium Falcons which rivals most TFs in terms of engineering?), the huge TMNT playset, the Power Ranger stuff, the Bakugans, Gundams (when you can find them), the Pacific Rim figures that were particularly detailed, and so on.. it's not because they don't "fit" your view of what equals the TFs line that they aren't designed just as well as TFs are, that's just being myopic and if you want something worth while to ask, a better question is "why does some people believe that Hasbro does no wrong and defend them regardless of circumstances?".

Sorry dude, but I will praise Hasbro for the things that they do well, but be honest and state when they do something that they shouldn't.