Which show was darker?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Single Elegant Machine, Jan 29, 2014.

?

Which series was overall darker?

1. Beast Machines

70.6%
  2. Transformers: Prime

29.4%
  1. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Insert Clever Title Here

News Credits:
    "Planet wide genocide" Yeah, Beast Machines is definitely darker.

2. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

-more Vehicons died in Beast Machines than Prime
    -no humans for comedic moments
    -turning heroic characters into villains

Beast Machines wins.

3. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

Yeah I'll go with Beast Machines as well. I don't remember much funny moments between the Maximals and how shacky their relationships were with little to no trust and always been on the corner against Megatron's forces and for the most part hopeless situations.

4. EnergonWaffles

EnergonWaffles Autobot's Head Chef Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    BM.

BM was too dark and emo for me.

Breakdown and Silas aren't really no name characters, though. Silas rips out Breakdown's eyeball and uses it to taunt the Autobots, forces him to watch his own vivisection, wears his dead body as a suit, then he's tortured for months until he thanks Airachnid for killing him. That's just nasty. The Vehicons were usually just kicked into oblivion by Arcee or mowed down with lasers.

I think the difference between BM's dark scenes and TFP's dark scenes was that BM kept the dark stuff going throughout the whole series and expanded on it, while TFP moved on by the next episode and often didn't reference it again. Or, TFP put it in the background. I still remember getting quite a shock after realizing Soundwave was surrounded by dead human bodies in ep 5. Took me months to notice. :eek: 

5. Aeronnz

Aeronnz Back in action!

I don't think it can get darker than "Thirst."

6. MasterZero

MasterZero Taking a Break

I think it can, my dear Aeronnz.

That's true, but more characters in the Beast Saga, or just Beast Machines, perished, I feel.

If the cameos are anything to go by, Prowl and Soundwave were killed, but I understand if you don't think they count.

Tankor died, and Rhinox turned evil, something I thought was far more frightening than just killing a character. Silverbolt's soul was broken. That's horrible. Breaking a hero's spirit...

But I do see your point at least with Silas and Breakdown.

7. EnergonWaffles

EnergonWaffles Autobot's Head Chef Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Oh I agree that BM was darker. I was just trying to point out that TFP had plenty of icky stuff happen to the main cast, just most of it didn't impact the plot or it wasn't brought up again, so people tend to forget it was there.

8. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    BM is dark, Prime while not a light hearted picnic in the park is edgy.

Thirst was more or less trying to push the censors on what a TV-Y7 show can do.

9. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    Beast Machines, no contest.

10. gregles

gregles quintesson

Whenever I hear the word dark associated with this (or many other) franchise(s) it often conjures up horrible thoughts of 90's bad ass comics, angst ridden emo mtv2 type crap or ancient bland mystical villains like the fallen so not exactly something to aspire to in my opinion. The word and its imagery is even poisoning the comics with dark cybertron and heart of darkness.

As for the comparison sure beast machines had massacres and tragedy but it somehow felt a bit hallow to me as I became a bit numb to its non-stop misery and its predictable make everything happy ending robbed any sense of melancholy and drama from its story. In my opinion less is more with horror and when prime did nasty we noticed and felt it way more because of its lighter moments as contrast.

11. FatherDeth

FatherDeth Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Prime: Any series that has a human get crushed, then come back as a scarred up guy melded with a dead Cybertronian. THEN he blatantly opens fire on the individual's responsible for bringing him back. While they didn't show it, you knew when you hear the gunfire blast and see the firepower outside that hangar, you knew it was a massacre and you knew it had dark undertones!

12. MelficeCyrum

MelficeCyrum Well-Known Member

Prime just felt more grim. I don't count the fact it had humor as point against it. It gives the audience a breather to prepare for the next tense moment. A show that's just an endless string of "OH GOD NO" over and over again starts to wear on the nerves and desensitive

13. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd say both are a close tie but they did make beloved characters turn dark in beast machines.

14. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    You're right, and really it wasn't portrayed as dark. Just as the self-righteous Autobots massacring Steve's and Bob's.

I see the discussion regarding him was already had, but jeez. I have doubts Cylas didn't make someone uncomfortable at the least. Clancy's screaming in Thirst also helped seal the deal too.

15. Single Elegant Machine

Single Elegant Machine Purity and order.

The Autobots in Prime never seemed to be on the losing side very often; you never once beheld a scenario where each and every Autobot was simultaneously taken offline, leaving a grieving Optimus as the only survivor.

16. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Okay I had forgotten about that. The scene where they're all dragged up to be executed in a line was pretty terrifying. The entire planet besides two people was wiped out by that point.

17. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

Beast Machines

18. Nymyzys

Nymyzys Yep

Ebay:
    Easily Beast Machines. Things go from bad, to worse, to REALLY terrible for the Maximals in a hurry in that series.

19. SuzyPrime

SuzyPrime The friendly lurker

Beast Machines, hands down. I can't watch the show without getting bored and/or depressed.

20. Quirriff

Quirriff Well-Known Member

They had mushy stuff in BM.