Which mold did you not mind buying twice?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by dasaffe, Aug 7, 2006.

1. dasaffe

dasaffe Morrissey Fan

I'm usually anti-repaint. I've also established myself as an alternator-only collector.

That said, I *finally* got Alt. Meister the other week and have to say, I don't mind owning this mold twice.

I wasn't going to buy Shockwave until I figured I'd never be able to get Meister about a year ago (I missed the little white fella entirely at retail and just can't spend more than 20 bucks on a toy).

But when I got Shockwave, I was totally amazed. The mold works really really well for the character. Not only did the remold give the figure a more "geewun" looking chest and an awesome hand mod, but the headsculpt and colors are absolutely brilliant.

Well, Jazz being my favorite figure from childhood, I couldn't pass up snagging the lonely Meister I found at Target the other week.

I figured it'd be a little lackluster since I already owned the mold, but damn!

It's like a whole new toy.

The car without a spoiler makes it look much shorter and sportier (less aggressive) and the headsculpt is amazing. One of the best of the line.

This hasn't changed my mind on buying Alternator repaints (I don't think I'm going to be swayed by anything soon). But I wanted to throw this one out to folks.

Is there a mold you don't mind owning twice (or more)? Why?

2. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have to agree with you on that Meister/Shockwave mold. He is one of my top 3 favorite Alt. molds. And, like you, I've also limited myself to buying little more than Alternators, save for the occasional clearance or buy one-get one Cybertron deals.

Other than that, I would have to say that the G1 Seeker jets are my favorite examples of enjoyable repaints. The 1984 jets (Starscream, Thundercracker, Skywarp) are straight repaints, though, the cartoon series gave them such different personalities that I don't really think of them as repaints. The 1985 jets (Dirge, Ramjet, Thrust) had so much remolding on the wings and weapons that they seemed even more separate from one another.

3. Firestorm

Firestorm Red Mage in Training

Eh, I'm not anti-repaint, so a lot. I didn't mind buying most Alternators twice, sometimes three times in the case of Sunstreaker or Ricochet. I also didn't mind buying several Cybertron figures twice, such as Megatron/Galvatron, Jetfire, Skyshadow, Hot Shot/Excellion, Red Alert/Cannonball, Swindle/Hardtop, etc. I am skipping Galaxy Force Optimus Prime and Galaxy Force Vector Prime due to lack of difference, and Brakedown GTS due to lack of interest.

I also didn't mind buying Energon Galvatron after getting both Energon Megatron, and the Energon Megatron/Optimus two-pack.

4. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Alt Mustang mold: Kick ass alt mode, and a great looking articulated bot mode. The transformation flows well, too. Unfortunately, I'm not a Grimlock fan. My Alt Grimlock became a custom character.

Arm Supercon Optimus Prime: Grat articulation, and brutish propertions make this guy fun in just about any colors.

Cyb Thundercracker: Other than some loose joint issues, this is a great toy. Certainly the best aircraft alt mode we've gotten in a mainline TF series in years.

Cyb Scrapmetal. This little guy rules. One of the coolest sci-fi alt modes they've ever given us, well articulated in both modes, and excelent proportions. The legs look a little weird, untill you realize that they're closer to human proportions than most TFs. I can't wait for the yellow repaint, and I really hope we'll be getting the blue one, too.

Cyb Clocker: Swerve is deffinitely the better deco, but I just generally like this mold.

I'd also gladly buy a good redeco of Cybertron Defense Red Alert. I don't usually find the larger toys to be as fun as the smaller ones, and certainly not as "bang for the buck" but I really like this one. His bot mode looks more like a Battlemech, than a TF, and he's got an ICBM on his shoulder that turns into a big ol' cannon.

5. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

All the alternators! Have everyone one.

Also supreme unicron. have the regular twice and the black :D 

Also the G1 seekers and Datsun brothers :) 

6. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

scourge/laser prime would have to be ones that i will buy twice, with ultramagnus as well. same with original prime, i have 1 reissue and 2 g2's primes, i love that mold. then the arial bots, and the combaticons/ruination, would not mind buying it 2 more times there, and seacons, i would love to have the original that and the repaint, so yea there is a lot of molds i would love to own twice.

7. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hell, some molds I'll buy twice or more the first time around!

Overall, on the repaint/remold thing, it depends on what they do with it, not surprisingly. After finally getting BW10th Megatron, I'd love to get a second one, but I doubt I'll be grabbing that Cybertron repaint coming up.

8. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I usually think of myself as not buying a lot of repaints, but now that I think about it, I guess I sorta do. I don't mind having seeker molds more than once in any line as long as I can afford them. I've got the G2 ATB set twice, once as G2 Smokescreen and Dreadwing and again as BW2 Starscream and BB. I've got both the US and Japanese versions of the Tripredicus sets. I've got the three main cars from Car Robots in both colors, just because they're all so damn cool. I have the Laser Optimus mold as Laser Optimus and as Scourge. I also happily bought Primal Prime even though I already had Optimal Optimus. I bought the Machine Wars basics as a set, and each of those were used twice in Machine Wars alone. If they were also used in BW2, then I have three of them. I have at least two of every G2 Cyberjets mold (there was an Autobot and Decepticon version of each). I have three of the Jetfire/Hooligan mold because of Robot Masters R-Blade. I feel like whore now.

9. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

News Credits:
    For Alternators, I've boughten everything (except one... see sig) despite it's repaintedness. Remolds are something I'm more prone to buying and often much more excited to get those than I am repaints.

That said, I stopped getting repaints fairly early on in the main lines, with the exception of those few that I really liked (Armada Hot Shot's Powerlinx repaint for example). When I was worried about completion of the mainline, I tried to just get one of every mold (IE, if a figure was remolded, I got it, but if it was just repainted I skipped it).

Energon Tidal Wave is another rare repaint I purchased, especially because of it's size (and price).... but damn, that's just a nice looking figure that I couldn't resist.

10. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Cybertron Megatron and Galvatron are my most recent repaints that give me a big grin. No regrets. TM2 Megatron and Cryotek both sat on top of my TV for a year. They were THAT good of a matching set.

11. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Well, let's see:

Noisemaze and Mass Production Noisemaze

Cybertron Hot Shot and Excellian (Whatever the Hot Rod Red repaint was called)

Energon Megatron and Galvatron

BM deluxe Jetstorm, Skywarp, and SAJ

Cruellock and Doomlock

Battle and Command Ravages

Energon Mirage and Dreadwing

Alt Meister and Shockwave

Alt Tracks, Ravage, and uhh, the red one.

Alt Smokescreen and Silverstreak.

Hmm. That's all that I can think of, looking things over.

12. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Cybertron Hot Shot/Excellion comes to mind. I like many others however will buy repaints no matter what, just to complete the line, though obivously I do enjoy and prefer them when they're at least equal to or hopefully better than the original.

13. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Ultra Optimus Primal. Got the orginal, Grey, and BWR version. I want to get the others [Crystal, Burning, Universe] but I don't think i'll be able to buy them. Too expensive.

I have multiples of other, too, but he's the one i love the most.

14. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Two Words:

TIDAL WAVE

This is one toy I eagerly bought from both Armada and Energon. Single best toy released in the last 20 years.

15. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I'm usually against buying repaints, but sometimes I really like the mold or the new colors so I'll do it. I broke my rule a lot with Energon since all the Autobot combinations were fun, so I bought all those repaints except Beachcomber and Energon Ironhide. I also have four of the deluxe Jetstorm mold (Original, RiD Stormjet, Universe Skywarp and Jhiaxus)...I didn't mind the Alternators when they had some remolding done, but they're too expensive to buy the straight repaints.

16. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

Besides the Alts of which I have all of them so far (well all except Mirage and Prime). My favorite repaint/remold would have to be Armada Overload who begat Energon Ultra Magnus, Costco Overload and OTFCC Sentinel Maximus. All of which I have. Wish I could get my hands on the blue Overload and the clear red one as well.

17. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    The Seekers. Bluestreak/Prowl/Smokescreen. Sideswipe/Red Alert. Inferno/Grapple.

Sure, some were slight remolds, but they were all essentially the same toys, respectively.

18. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    ALT/BT/BT* are the only no brainer exceptions to my No Repaint Rule... If we don't count those lines, so far I've bought the Excellion repaint for CYB and I plan on maybe getting the Smokescreen repaint as well...

19. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Ransack/Gasket.

And I even paid through the ass for the Police Repaint. Best. Repaint. Ever.

20. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I'm usually pretty anti-repaint... with the exception of Alternators. I'm a completist bitch for that line and am even starting to get all the BT recolors, BT* and am fighting off the urge to bet that freakin' Kiss Rodimus repaint of Mirage... Alternators is the only line I'm a whore for.

That being said... I've bought quite a few repaints from time to time.

With Armada I skipped a good chunk of repaints... the only ones I picked up were Powerlinx Hot Shot, Jetfire, Cyclonus & Dirge... mainly because of their homages. I also picked up Thundercracker since he was going to be in the show (show characterness breaks my no repaint rule if homage or just plain enjoyment doesn't) and I also got Skywarp, but he was heavily remolded. I did pick up Final Battle Prime at clearance about a year into Energon at TRU... I only got it so that I could display it combined with my Powerlinx Jetfire. I was going to pick up Nemesis Prime since I skipped out on Bendy Prime (I knew he was awesome since a friend had him, but I kept skipping him at retail), but I only found him once and didn't have the money to get him. I am looking for him quite freaquently on ebay however. The rereleased BW TM figures weren't repaints for me since I hadn't gotten the originals... I didn't start collecting BW until after getting these guys and realizing that the line was pretty good afterall.

Energon sucked me in a bit more I believe... for some reason... I obtained every Armada repaint that was released in wave 1 of Energon... Treadbolt, Ultra Magnus, Tidal Wave & Rapid Run... the only one I didn't pick up was the Armada Unicron repaint, because I just can't justify buying a toy that big a second time unless it had gotten some kind of remold. I also picked up the KB exclusive Demolishor & Cyclonus since I really loved their paint shcemes and they were show accurate characters. I also picked up all the basic Decpeticon repaints... and I got the Superlink exclusive Terrorcon repaints. I skipped out on the basic Autobot repaints with the exception of the two Aerialbots simply because I didn't like the Signal Flare mold and the Strongarm repaint didn't interest me. Deluxe wise for this line... I picked up Energon Starscream & Hot Shot... and I picked up Checkpoint from a friend whom bought the two pack (didn't buy the Prowl from him). The only Mega repaints I picked up in this line were Dreadwind (Scourge homage) & Overcast (just plain looked good). And stragely I bought both Ultra repaints (Quickstrike & Landquake), but in those cases it was because the repaint was actually superior to the original and if I had seen protos of the repaint earlier... I'd have held out for them instead. And, I just recently picked up the Superlink Fire Grand Convoy & Black Rodimus Convoy... they're freakin' sweet.

Cybertron has really broken me. I've picked up just about every repaint that's been released along with the original figure. I even have three of some of the molds simply because I also picked up all the Galaxy Force store & DVD limited edition figures. I even picked up the TRU Sonic Convoy gift set. The only figure from Cybertron/Galaxy Force that I haven't gotten that have been released yet are the two pack Screamer (I have the GF Mega sized Starscream and I picked up the Hasbro Vector Prime before the two pack was announced) and the Blue & Yellow Galaxy Force Rambles (one I'll be able to remedy soon since Yellow Scrapmetal is being released here). The only figures that I plan on skipping are GF Optimus, GF Vector Prime & Cryo Scourge... and I'm only skipping them mainly because I'm running out of space on my voyager, ultra & super shelf and don't have the room to expand much yet. I do however plan on getting all the other scout and deluxe repaints currently coming out too.

So, I guess I'm not really that anitrepaint huh? Well, I guess I just became Cybertron's bitch because all the figures were stellar compared to what we've seen before.