Which lines have aged the worst? The best?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NGW, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Nothing about Armada has aged well, imo.

A lot of Beast Wars still looks pretty damned good to me.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Rosso Corsa

Worst: Armada

I liked the designs of many of the characters, but the articulation was largely compromised, especially when compared to predecessor lines like BW/BM and RID.

Best: Animated

Lots of show accurate and articulated figures with relatively clean robot modes. The kibble was kept to a minimum.

3. artimus prime

artimus prime Articulation Junkie... I'm a poser TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Animated has aged very well. My Transformers Prime line is still good too.

The bad... STUDIO SERIES has aged very, VERY poorly. :( 

• Like Like x 3
  4. Skullhammer

Skullhammer Powermaster

Best: G1

Worst: Beast Wars

• Like Like x 2
  5. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Following proto

Worst: Combiner Wars. These figures were floppy out of the box and the longer I have them, the worse the flop gets and the more the gaps in the arms and legs bother me. The HFGs also stressed the pegs on a couple of these, and now the hands tend to fall out. I plan to sell my CW Bruticus and Menasor. Superion is decent and rises above the rest of the line, and Abominus is actually really good...but he's from POTP.

Best: Cybertron. These are the figures that set my standard for excellence with Transformers. To this day, most figures fall short of the insanely good build quality, sculpted detail, and character designs in Cybertron. Megatron/Galvatron, Noise Maze, Optimus Prime, Wing Saber, The Cybertron Defense trio, Vector Prime...all figures that are still in my main display right now and they look newer and better than pretty much everything I bought from Prime Wars.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  6. PikaManiac

PikaManiac Well-Known Member

Armada is the worst followed by Robots in Disguise 2015 and Cyberverse.

Coming out of Robots in Disguise 2001, Armada has no reason to exist. The only good moulds that came out of Armada are Bendy Prime and Unicron.

RID 2015 and Cyberverse should have never existed too. If they wanted to cater for children, they could have gone for the Animated route.

7. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    I would never say Armada has aged poorly, because it was total crap when it came out. It was bad then (especially compared to everything the predated it, as @PikaManiac said.)
    I think Beast Machines would be a line that has aged poorly. Some decent ideas, but...

8. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'll go along with Animated aging well, having mostly well-done toys with a VERY distinct style that is unlikely to be revisited anytime soon.

As for aging poorly, I'll go with the '07 movie line, mainly because the majority of bots in the line have been remade better and/or more accurately in later lines.
    (Except for the Real Gear Robots. Those were their own thing. :)  )

9. DarkRed401

DarkRed401 Well-Known Member

of the ones i have probably cybertron, some still have decent joints like prime but starscream is the exact opposite which is surprising because you'd expects more ratchets at that size

10. mrcreativename

mrcreativename Well-Known Member

After the new heights of awesomesauce that came about during the days of Beast Wars and RID, Armada was a tragic step back. Armada was terrible when it came out, and it has aged horrifically ever since.

I honestly feel that G1 has aged the best. Many of those toys were and still are so unique, in spite of the lack of articulation in most cases.

• Like Like x 2
  11. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Way to misrepresent what I said entirely. I don't even care that much for G1.

12. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:

there, i fixed your obvious typo

• Like Like x 2
  13. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Gonna agree with Animated being among the best. I recently took my collection out of storage and played around with the animated toys again. Was surprised how great it is. So surprised in fact that they're still standing on a living room shelf, where I put them "temporarily". I was surprised they sell very cheap on ebay, so I'm holding on to these, even though I considered selling them all.

As for worst, I'd have to say some Armada/Energon/Cybertron toys are garbage by today's standard. Note: I only have very few of them, but the ones I do have haven't aged well at all. I'm sure there are great ones as well tho.
    Oh, and Alternators/Alternity/Binaltech hasn't aged well either. There are som great alt modes, but the transformations and awful robot modes ruin it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Rosso Corsa

I feel like you didn't read my explanation as to why I thought Armada aged the worst. I made references to the predecessor lines as well. As for the line being crap, I wasn't collecting during its original run, but I'm at least aware that Armada is a bit of an acquired taste. Even so, the line seems to have its fair share of fans as well as detractors.

15. Thread lurker

Thread lurker Banned

Of course the titans return line aged like fine wine. It’s not like they have ugly stickers,sub par articulation and oversized block heads with forced gimmicks in them. The siege line TOTALLY sucks bollocks.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jhund

Jhund Screws>Pins

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Potp has aged poorly , well for those figures which had those pre peeling stickers on anw .

17. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

The Masterpiece line has aged the best. Nearly 17 years old and still going strong. Hell, I say better than ever.

18. depthcharge82

depthcharge82 Maximal

worst: Machine Wars.

best: Animated

19. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Lines that aged well to me:
    • Beast Wars
    • Classics
    • Alternators/Binaltech
    • Cybertron
    • 2007 movie
    • ROTF
    • Animated
    • Car Robots/RID
    Lines that didn't age well to me:
    • Beast Machines
    • Universe
    • G1
    • Combiner Wars
    • Machine Wars

• Like Like x 1
  20. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I find that any list like this is going to be biased, usually by the person's introduction to the series and there's preferences, regardless if a line was better than what they loved more, it'll "suck".

I find that there's good and bad (and some great, some terrible) in just about every series ever made.

Then you can have a selection based on quality, or articulation, or accessories, or gimmicks, etc.

I just base my opinions on the individuals as I probably have some from every series, including cross-overs, and I consider all my figures, regardless of which series they belong too, to be just fine.

One of the worst figure I have is the combiner (Superion Maximus) Superion (G1) - Transformers Wiki from the
    Universe line, followed by Bruticus (FoC) Bruticus (G1) - Transformers Wiki with the hard plastic that could snap easily and doesn't peg well, but
    I have other figures that are fine from both series.

Then others like Tidal Wave (Armada/Energon) that is an amazing figure but lacks leg articulation.

The list of good and bad across all series could take all night, so there is no "best or worst" for series... some might have been better in a general perspective, and another better but again... lots of what I read that others have stated, I'd say the opposite of their choices on many occasions.