Which is the better action figure toyline: Transformers R.E.D or Gundam Universe?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by YellowCorvette, Jan 25, 2022.

?

Out of the two, which is the better toyline?

1. Transformers Robot Enhanced Design (R.E.D)

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Gundam Universe

8 vote(s)
    57.1%
  3. Both are too different to compare with one another

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. Both lines are equal, and has their own pros and cons

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I don't like both of them

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  6. I don't know

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Average Core Gundam enjoyer

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Both Transformers Robot Enhanced Design (R.E.D) and Gundam Universe by Bandai Spirits are 2 different lines of six-inch scale non-transforming action figures of selected characters/mecha from across different universes and continuity of their respective franchise.

Despite these figures being advertised to feature higher durability and lower price, both figures upon their debut receive mixed reception in quite a number of aspects that both lines eerily share; Such as having hindered joint movement in vital places, omissions of important accessory loadout, etc.

For anyone who had collected figures from both of those lines, which one do you think was the better of the two?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
  2. InhumanElm

InhumanElm Beast Machines was pretty good IMO

Twitter:
    Just my hot take: both kinda suck in their own ways:
    R.E.D. figures are very stylized which is cool for some (Optimus, Megatron) and extremely off-putting on others (Bumblebee). Then ones like Optimus Primal are...just the Kingdom version without transforming. I do appreciate the accessory count though. Plastic wise they feel a little on the soft side but it's kinds neat being different from any other figured I own.

Gundam Universe...ugh. I had to basically drop collecting these. Each one feels like such s disappointment. The beam saber effects are weird and too long. Most of them are missing 1-2 weapons that I would consider essential. Like, Nu gundam needs two trigger finger hands and two beam saber hilts...and no beam rifle or shield? Wing Gundam has the gun and shield. Cool. But the show featured him heavily using a green beam saber which is notably absent. Plastic wise, they feel awesome. Kinda soft but thicc and solid. And painting is great. Which is why the accessory thing irks me so much. I planned on getting the full Wing line and the Freedom Gundam (one of my favorite releases) but I just can't keep feeding money into a line that continues to let me down /:

Overall, the base R.E.D. figures feel worse but have more accessories and the Gundam Universe figures feel great but are lacking too many pieces.

3. Sponge

Sponge Herald of Unicron

News Credits:
    They both eh,

but I dislike GU more, they cost more, their articulation is worse and there are better cheaper alternatives for most of the suits they have done

• Like Like x 1
  4. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Quick answer:

The R.E.D. look not that different than the old shampoo bottle non-transforming figures for a few yeas ago, just with a cheap rubbery type plastic, and accessories. They have no play value as they are display pieces only, which as most lack details and just look simplified and cartoonish, will appeal to a very selected audience. At over 30$ CAD, they are way overpriced.

The Gundams are very detailed, solid and quality plastic, basically small "masterpiece" type. They are of good enough quality to be both displayed and played with. They may lack accessories, but are meant to be simple but elegant. I got one for 20 $ CAD that feels fair for it's quality and size and wouldn't hesitate to get others, aside that they are larger than my main collection that are the older main "toy" lines.