Which G1 lore do you take as the true backstory to Beast Wars cartoon?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by TFFan01, Apr 18, 2020.

?

G1 lores

1. Marvel G1/G2/Alignment

13.8%
  2. G1 cartoon

58.5%
  3. Regeneration One

1.1%
  4. Dreamwave G1

1.1%
  5. Its own thing

25.5%
  1. TFFan01

TFFan01 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Which one?

2. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    Considering two of those didn't even exist when Beast Wars came out and Marvel G1 contradicts what BW shows I'm gonna have to say the cartoon.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

Backstory? Nah, Beast Wars is the prequel to G1.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Insurgent

Insurgent The Amazing Tango Mysterio

The only hard evidence we have is starscream turn up as a ghost after galvatron blasts him. As this only happens in the toon, it has to be that for me.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Barbarandroid

Barbarandroid Well-Known Member

Because of Starscream's ghost making an appearance, I also have to pick the G1 cartoon.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

Does it....in what way?

Any more then the cartoon does to itself?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  7. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Starscream's ghost also qualifies Marvel UK (my pick), since that continuity incorporates the animated movie.

No source fits Beast Wars perfectly without at least some issue, but the best fit imo is Marvel UK.

8. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    It really seems to be an amalgamation of multiple different G1 continuities.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  9. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    The big one is Starscream's ghost as mentioned, that doesn't happen in Marvel US nor does Galvatron even really exist in Marvel in the capacity he does as mentioned in BW, "Starscream's leader" someone says I believe.

10. Primeultra

more like “didn’t happen by the end of the run, doesn’t mean it wouldn’t have happened at some point if the series continued

same as above

I don’t see these so much as contradictions but more like a”bump in the road” the writers could handle easily

after all, the Visual appearance of Starscream “ghost” contradictions The visual appearance of his ghost in G one

Exactly

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Optimus141

Optimus141 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It belongs in it's own continuity,since it doesn't adhere to just one version of G1,but all of them.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Tetratron

Tetratron AEColyte

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I always took it the cartoon and comic are in-universe retellings of The Great War, in the same way there’s multiple versions/interpretations of Greek mythology in real life, and the G1 era in the Beast Wars show is a mix of the two.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Insurgent

Insurgent The Amazing Tango Mysterio

If we're going off visual clues, then that is more of a case for the toon. The ark in bw looks like the toon, not the marvel version and the computer is Teletraan 1, like the toon, not Aunty like the comics. And ends with the back of the ark jutting out the volcano after the nemesis attacked it with the tractor beam. In the comics, it was fully buried.

Speaking of the nemesis, in the uk comics it was blown up by galvatron in orbit, so somehow it had to get back up there after crashing at the end of bw. In the toon, it was crashed in africa or somewhere. And the us comics never had starscream die at the hands of galvatron so it would have to be the future timeline of the uk comics it followed.

But the real answer is it's an amalgamation of both. That's the simplist answer.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Primeultra

I would actually argue that it’s a double edge sword

Starscream has his comic book color scheme
    And named “The Ark” which is marvel not cartoon

As to being completely buried, I kind of recall seeing it once or twice protruding from the side of the volcano in the comics but I could be wrong about that

as I pointed out earlier, that Is more of a “didn’t happen by the end of the series” type of thing.....Could’ve always happen sometimes down the line if the stories had continued uninterrupted

Yep

15. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

None fits perfectly (BW isn't a continuation of one particular G1 story, but more an amalgation), but if I absolutely had to pick one, then it would be Dreamwave. Not because it really works, but it being made after BW it actually has some callbacks to it thus better connecting.

The cartoon only real claim is the existance of Starscream's ghost (but it's not impossible this would also happen in Marvel, although not very likely for the US run -- Marvel UK yes) And the computer being known as Teletran 1, but this is not absolute since the computer was unnamed in Marvel (Aunty is only the name for the computer in the UK comics). I disagree with @Insurgent about the design of the Ark in BW: it only in some general shapes resembles the cartoon design (it's closer than the Marvel design), but it's also very different (it also looks like the USS Defiant from DS9). Also, in the G1 cartoon only the rear of the ship was protruding from the mountain, but that's not how it is at the end of BW: the front is also visible when they take off. And in the Marvel comics it sometimes also was partially visible. The ship being named The Ark is a clear shout out to the Marvel comics, since it was unnamed in the cartoon.

A big issue of course is that BW placed The Ark in Africa (Ethiopia perhaps), since it's in walking distance from where the proto humans live, and umanity evolved in Africa (the valley in Code of Hero is very likely the Olduvai Gorge) and didn't leave until much later. Marvel is very clear in it being in Portland Oregon, and the cartoon also very much points to North America.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Alph

Alph Well-Known Member

People are way too nitpicky with details for a franchise that's as lax on the details as Transformers is.

Beast Wars and Beast Machines were made with the understanding that most of its audience would have their understanding of G1 informed by the G1/G2 cartoon and movie, hence why the strongest story ties were to things from the toon while the comics references were just small things that added flavor. Like, for instance, the book of Primus was just an old book of prophesies with Primus's name slapped onto it, whereas Starscream's mutant immortal spark (and the attempt to replicate it) played heavily into the narrative, and then Vector Sigma, the Plasma Energy Chamber, and the hate plague all played heavily into the narrative of Beast Machines.

Yes, you could say all those things somehow exist offscreen in the comics continuity, but the fact remains that BW/BM flows better following off of the cartoon.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Primeultra

I do believe Aunty was named once in the us run

File:AuntieTransmitsSignals.jpg - Transformers Wiki

At the risk of sounding further” nit-picky”, , The question what is the backstory of beast wars not beat machines, The fact that they draw stronger connections to the G1 cartoon in beast machines it’s kind of irrelevant since it’s sequel to be and not on the drawing board when they were coming up with the backstory concept for beast wars

And what do you call “small things for flavor” from the comics Played just as heavily into the theme of the overall show by its end as the Starscreams spark did

And it’s not like the old book of prophecies was the only “supernatural” aspect of the show, it was only one aspect of an overall religious plot that stemmed from the comics more then it ever did the cartoon

18. Alph

Alph Well-Known Member

It's interesting how predictably contrarian you are, as I knew you would be the one to respond to my post with objections.

Beast Machines is not irrelevant, as the topic is asking what I consider to be the backstory to Beast Wars, and as far as I'm concerned Beast Machines is 100% canon and is just as much a part of the story as Beast Wars is. I'm not going to disregard it just because you want me to.

And the "religious" theme ultimately leads to Optimus Primal communing with the Matrix/Oracle/Vector Sigma in a way much like what we saw with Optimus Prime in Return of Optimus Prime and Rebirth, so no, that theme is not solely tied to the comic. Nor is it as direct of a plot connection as Starscream's death at the hand of Galvatron and his subsequent existence as a disembodied ghost that was used as the basis for an experiment which resulted in the creation of a major character on the show who in turn had his spark bisected to created another major character on the show. Most of what BW/BM establishes about sparks and the afterlife is made up by BW/BM, it's not stuff that was established in the comics.

(And if what your referring to is the idea that some TFs may have worshipped a being called Primus...that is so unimportant to the narrative of BW/BM that it doesn't even bear mentioning. They could have replaced the name "Primus" with "Wonko the Sane" and it would have made no difference to anything)

19. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Banned

Well someone would have to READ Marvel US/UK but the Beast Era is absolutely dripping with references to such. Generally speaking the overall physiology of beast era transformers favors Marvel.

20. Primeultra

I fully agree that Beast Machines is 100% canon And should never be disregarded, but the fact remains it is a sequel and information from it did not come into play when the creators were deciding on a back story for Beast Wars

Just like @AutobotAvalanche said about Dreanwave, Beast Nachines just didn’tExist at the time

But you’re right about one thing the guy was asking for your own personal opinion and I won’t deny anyone that

Sure they could’ve just created any new name and it might not have change the story much, but they didn’t did they?

And that’s actually a major point, Likewise that they believe in any form of a deity which again come straight from the comics and played a major part

• Like Like x 1