Which Continuity Made You Love Transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Sidesprey, Jun 30, 2017.

?

Which Continuity Made You Love Transformers?

1. G1 (Primax)

60.4%
  2. RiD 2001 (Viron)

5.7%
  3. Unicron Trilogy (Aurex)

23.6%
  4. Live Action Film Series (Tyran)

14.2%
  5. Animated (Malgus)

11.3%
  6. Aligned (Uniend)

10.4%
  7. I Love All Continuities Equally

3.8%
  8. Other Continuities

2.8%
  9. I Just Like Transformers

3.8%
  10. Other Hasbro Property

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ampere

Ampere Isn't the sharpest crayon

I'd say "The Live-Action Films" but I probably never would have been interested in watching the first movie I hadn't enjoyed watching the cartoons for the Unicron Trilogy.

2. batfan007

batfan007 Double the Dragon

News Credits:
    YAY. Im, kind of glad those "fan fictions" with an official stamp on them are done. Fun books, cool ideas, but lousy writing in most of them. Still I liked the art in most of them. an I like seeing characters from different continuities meet up.

They were fine as a pack in / disposable style bit of nonsense, but when people start retro actively applying stuff from those fan fictions, onto the mainline products, its just a real headache for everyone, especially people who have never even seen or heard of the fun pub comics, which sound like they should come with free whisky if you ask me. o_O 

Thanks for replying, i'll incorporate some of those silly terms into my upcoming article on retro active lore, thus helping to further confuse people.

3. batfan007

News Credits:
    It's why I didn't choose ANY option, because i was all "WTF?" If it aint on the dvd box set, then I dont see why it would be on a poll? Just odd.

Otherwise I would have chosen the marvel/sunbow cartoon as my fav, i personally use that term as "G1" incorporates JG1 comics+ toons, Marvel TFUK, Marvel TFUS, and marvel/sunbow , all of which overlap but are their own unique continuities + of course all the toys and the toy bios. And retro active "g1" incorporates everything from Beast Wars to IDW to Dreamwave as anything set in "g1" or G1 Neo, as IDW did their Ultimate Marvel style reboot of G1 mainlines characters, but then added in their own fiction, plus characters from other shows, which was cool. I wrote a whole article on it too.

4. Mirage00

Mirage00 Master of Hiding

I remember it was around the time of Armada, and my mom took me to Mcdonalds to get a happy meal. In that happy meal was a toy of Armada Starscream, this sparked my interest as I had never seen such a cool robot toy that could turn into a vehicle. Then later some time i was with my parents in their room watching tv when an episode of Armada came on and boy did I jump in excitement to see the toy that i got move and battle other robots on the tv. I quicky ran to my room and got my toy and shouted "LOOK LOOK ITS THIS ONE". From here on i loved transformers and i think it was when i turned 4 I got my first official transformers toy and that was Energon: Strongarm. The Unicron Trilogy even though not the best of transformers shows , they hold a special place in my heart as a tf fan. Transformers: Energon was the show of my child hood, I would go buy all the toys and would even lie to my grandma when i got a yellow in pre-kay just so i could get a new toy. I beleive Landmine and Ironhide were toys i was not really supposed to have gotten because i lied lol but hey I was a kid. Then came the next big step in my love for transformers as my dad introduced me to the 1986 G1 movie and man was I amazed with what I saw. This Grouned my love for transformers and made it apart of me for good. Now from there onwards I'm still here excited for Transformers as the day i was introduced.

5. batfan007

News Credits:
    Adding to what you've said there, which is true - but leaves out some details...

*The character profiles created by Marvel man Bob Budiansky were used as the basis for the toy line bios, the sunbow cartoon, and the marvel US comic.

*The show had a team of writers, who did what they did.

*Meanwhile, the marvel us comic, which was written by Budiansky had free reign to do his own stories, and his own characterisations (which he wrote remember, in the first place, for the box bios).

*When the Marvel UK comic started (to reprint marvel us material) they published more frequently, so to avoid running out of material to publish, started doing some of their own short stories, which eventually turned into longer stories. Again, they had mostly free reign to write whatever they liked in those stories.

The practicality of communication back then meant marvel UK were often in the dark about whatever was happening in the cartoon, or in the marvel comic (until get their material in hand to reprint) in the early days the did not even have the character model sheets as reference, which Budiansky was surprised about, and made a point of getting the model sheet to the artist, to that characters would have a more uniform look like the toon and marvel comic (which used the same base model, but often different colors depending on the medium)

So, it's not like these continuities were intended to all be the same thing, but neither were they meant to completely different, mostly it comes down to a writer/artist in the marvel uk, or marvel US has no idea what is (was) going on week to week over at sunbow studios, or marvel studios (which were on the opposite side of country, and marvel studios were FAMOUSLY unco-operative with marvel writers/artists and the main headquarters.

In simpler terms there was no "lore" or "continuity" in the early days of any of those fictions, other than the brief from Jim Shooter which they all shared as the origins of Transformers [see links below]

- writers had to make stuff up as they went along, any form of organised lore did not come along until years later, so it's really a non-argument on any of those early days topics, as it's all quite well known, public record etc, and the tales have been old many times of how it all happened at cons, podcasts, websites articles etc. IT's not like they had any reference material other than the shooter outline, and the budiansky bios in the early days. As they went along, the show bible built up, which other than the character models, would have personality traits and generally descriptive shorthand stuff that in theory any write should be able to pick up and write some version of that character. With teams of writers often working on diff episodes at the same time it explains why the show was so inconsistent.

Jim Shooter Blog articles on the actual origins of Transformers media
    The Secret Origin of the TRANSFORMERS – Part 1 – JimShooter.com
    The Secret Origin of the TRANSFORMERS – Part 2 – JimShooter.com

Jim Shooter's Original Transformers Treatment

Transforming Seminarian: Jim Shooter's Original Transformers Treatment

Some pages from MARVEL AGE - promotional mag /comic that used to news all bout marvels' upcoming projects. These pages appeared as pre-promotion for the comic mini-series, which was published several months before the sunbow show aired (to tie in with and promote the show) and then of course the toy line launched, so the comic, the show all prepared for the comic toy line as pre-promotions to get kids talking about Transformers, and hungry for the toys.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Various character names and characters were changed when they were *adapted* into the sunbow show from the original notes and outlines. One big difference is that "Buster Witwicky" was the lead human character in the marvel comics, (and the outline intended for the TV show) but the show chose to go with "Spike Witwicky" a brown haired laborer in yellow safety boots.

Personally I am glad they are different. I like Spike better. But Buster in the comics had way more to do as a character, including being in the story with the first ever pre-86 movie version of the Matrix, which was not a mystical object, but more like computer program stored in Optimus Prime that accidentally gets loaded into Buster (well kind of on purpose)
    they later used PART of this story for Shia in the live action films were he gets the Allspark data stuck in his head, and sees all the ancient cybertronian symbols while going crazy.

Buster Witwicky (G1) - Transformers Wiki
    Spike Witwicky (G1) - Transformers Wiki

[​IMG]

-
    Please note if you are a mod: I wrote this post just now from memory, it is not from any of my articles, if you feel it is too off topic then feel free to say so.

I hope lots of people contribute to this thread, as I'd really to like to hear others contrasting well stated intelligent opinions (hey i can dream) on the Aligned Continuity and other modern post 2000 TF continuities, as those topics I am really getting into in coming months for own personal references.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

no I had no intention on being insulting and I'm sorry if it sounded that way

I also had no intent to show you you were wrong in any way shape or form so again I'm sorry if that's how you took my words

I was just honestly trying to describe my wonder at the fans that either didn't know there was a difference between the two or could not even grasp the concept of two separate continuities between the written and the animated forms of fiction

7. Altered Prime

I pretty much agree with everything you just said and let me also say thank you for that information
    But there is one thing
    I have to disagree with that second statement

There's a saying in the terms of law " intent follows the bullet"

The very second the cartoon Riders started telling the story of their first episode and it was in any way different from the original telling in the comic it created a seprate continuity

So in making changes to the original telling in the comic their intent was to do something somewhat different

• Like Like x 1
  8. funkmonkey007

funkmonkey007 Bah weep gragnah

What got me into The Transformers was just my oldest brother's old G1 toys. I didn't have TV growing up, so for the longest time I just loved the random assortment of Transformers figures I had. It wasn't until 2007 when I discovered the joy of needing the toys of my favourite characters, not just the toys that look rad.

Now, I work with something of a blend. I've watched RID 2001 and Prime, with little bits of Beast Wars and G1 in there too, but my love for Transformers is still driven by toys.

More to my point, G1 Drag Strip, Onslaught, Blot, Grotusque, Headstrong, Doublecross, Slugslinger, Brainstorm, and Ultra Magnus (without his trailer) got me into Transformers. I didn't know any of my toys' names, factions, or characters, but they still got me hooked on Transformers. It wasn't a comic, movie, or cartoon, just some plastic and my imagination.

If I had to pick a favourite continuity family though, it would be Aligned, or more specifically, Prime.

• Like Like x 2
  9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Well-Known Member

ROTF and the Defiance tie-in comic made me a fan. Although I think ROTF is an awful movie, I love TF1 and I love the universe that TF1,ROTF and DOTM imply the existence of, so I hope the Bumblebee spin-off succeeds.

10. EmceeDel

EmceeDel Well-Known Member

Hello, Transformer fam! New poster here. :) 

I was born in 1997, so my first experience I remember with Transformers was Armada. I still remember the first episode I saw and where I was. It was where Tidal Wave was first introduced. I didn't understand what was going on but I was completely hooked at that point.

Transformers Armada and Energon both shaped my familiarity with the franchise. I fell out once the Cybertron era came in 2005-2006 but returned when the movie came out in 2007. I then became a huge fan of the G1 lore and bought a bunch of Marvel comics from the 80s and read them. At that point, I was a fan. I've had on and off moments but, at heart, I do enjoy this franchise a lot.

• Like Like x 2
  11. TLK Barricade

TLK Barricade Keep calm and Hail Megatron.

I was introduced to Transformers via the Unicron Trilogy and the G1 movie (saw it for the first time in either 2003 or 2004, but didn't watch the series until several years later). I also watched Animated from time to time, and I've seen every live-action movie so far except The Last Knight. But it wasn't until I played War for Cybertron for the first time in 2010 that I truly began to love the franchise. I still consider it to be the second best Transformers game to come out so far, the best being its sequel, Fall of Cybertron. And despite its flaws, Transformers: Prime is easily my favorite series, and I hope we see more like it in the future. Despite the many, many problems with the so-called "Aligned Continuity", I have it to thank for making me such a big fan of the Transformers.

• Like Like x 2
  12. EmceeDel

EmceeDel Well-Known Member

Oh that reminds me, I saw the 86 film in 2004ish and I was soooooo confused. :lol  I thought Armada was the first series so Optimus, Starscream, and Unicron were recognizable but my 6 year old brain was blown by how Megatron didn't turn into a tank and Hot Shot being replaced by Hot Rod. LOL

• Like Like x 2
  13. TLK Barricade

TLK Barricade Keep calm and Hail Megatron.

Yeah, there were a few things that weirded me out too when I saw the movie for the first time. Namely Optimus Prime's voice. I was used to hearing Gary Chalk's voice coming from behind that mouth-plate, so when I first heard Peter Cullen, my thoughts were, "Why does Optimus sound so weird?"

Of course, now Peter Cullen is without a doubt my favorite actor to ever voice the character, thanks to the movies and Aligned, but Gary Chalk is definitely a close second.

• Like Like x 1
  14. batfan007

News Credits:
    I agree, it became two different continuities at that point.
    But rather than "do something different than the comics"" it was more that both grew from the same design documents and outlines, that is the unified tree trunk from which all the 80s tf continuities grew.
    The cartoon was always going to be its own thing, with TV production looking down on anything comic related, the same way the film industry of the time looked down their noses at anything in television as inferior.

It's all in that outline from Jim Shooter anyhow, which preceded everything else, well except the toys themselves of course, which previously had the diaclone lore attached mainly as advertising material before the Tf rebranding existed.

15. TFFan01

TFFan01 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, fun pub fiction don't really change anything to be honest. You can read IDW comics without even be aware of FunPub's existence. It's just meaningless nonsense (but I enjoy them).

Though it can indeed be a headache for people who take continuity seriously.

16. vatarian

vatarian Hive Princess

Cybertron caught my eye as a little gal. The original live action movie drew me back in and filled me with wonder even if its sequels would largely go on to be fatass disappointments.

After that, the War for Cybertron game was a huge factor, and then Prime. And then G1. And then IDW.

Now I sorta coast along on oggling (and very occasionally buying) the best Megatron figu- errrr, the best figures from each line.

17. Sidesprey

Sidesprey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Man, never should have included that continuity thing.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Altered Prime

again I pretty much agree with everything but there is still one thing....

"Rather than "do something different than the comics"" it was more that both grew from the same design documents and outlines, "

It is true but they both grew out of the same documents and outlines, true but it was from the very beginning "do something different then the comics"

True that there wasn't a lot of communication between both production teams but the first issues of the comics were written far in advance then the First episodes of the show

They chose not to get or use the story from the comics therefore they always chose to do something different[/I]

19. Rodimus Primal

Rodimus Primal Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    The G1 cartoon made me love Transformers. I was instantly hooked.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Niv3k

Niv3k 'Fe Li Na'

News Credits:
    Armada introduced me to the franchise and is still very special to me. I then remember watching the G1 movie and some random episodes (The Golden Lagoon!) with my younger brother. Interest came back when the first movie came out, but it was not until DOTM that the real collecting started. Haven't left since.