Which Continuity Made You Love Transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Sidesprey, Jun 30, 2017.

?

Which Continuity Made You Love Transformers?

1. G1 (Primax)

60.4%
  2. RiD 2001 (Viron)

5.7%
  3. Unicron Trilogy (Aurex)

23.6%
  4. Live Action Film Series (Tyran)

14.2%
  5. Animated (Malgus)

11.3%
  6. Aligned (Uniend)

10.4%
  7. I Love All Continuities Equally

3.8%
  8. Other Continuities

2.8%
  9. I Just Like Transformers

3.8%
  10. Other Hasbro Property

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

Actually that's a bit depends on when you define just when "it started out"

2. geekatron prime

geekatron prime The Grammar Police must be on strike.

News Credits:
    Fell in love with Transformers from the get go, 1984. Cartoon/comics fleshed out the characters and the rest was history. I like the way it's transformed itself over the years, like it's brand new with each different iteration. G1 might of been where it all started for me, but I love all the continuities as a whole.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    G1 and Armada. I fell in love with the toys in 1988, later the cartoon became my Religion. I was in my apprenticeship when I heard about Transformers Armada and noticed that they still made Transformers toys and shows. That was when I slowly got deeper into everything than before.

4. BattleUpSaber

BattleUpSaber Result.

News Credits:
    This is a hard one to answer because for me it's a combination of many of them.

The movies introduced me to the brand.

Animated (and reruns of G1 on a local tv channel) made me aware of and gain interest of the franchise as a whole.

After my interest died out, Prime made me regain it.

And then tracking down and watching G1, Beast Wars, Car Robots and Cybertron were what solidified me as a full time fan.

Lastly, watching Masterforce and Victory turned me insane.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Ehhhh, Beast Wars has never really fit perfectly into any G1 continuity. Then again G1 never fit well in G1 continuity, so what's another offshoot?

Just doesn't feel right not picking BW specifically, since that's what made me love Transformers. I had no knowledge of anything that came before. I didn't love the continuity, I loved the show. Knowledge of the continuity came long after.

• Like Like x 3
  6. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah, but that's the same with any continuity. For example, there are a lot of people here who consider themselves fans of characters like Superman or Wonder Woman who seem not to have the slightest knowledge of anything that came before the era they began reading. What they love and consider the "real" characters is actually a heavy retcon of a heavy retcon, bearing almost no resemblance to the characters and world as originally created. For some, that knowledge of continuity (or continuities) comes later. For some, it never comes.

It's true Beast Wars isn't a perfect fit with either Sunbow cartoon or Marvel comics, but more a kind of amalgamation of both. But like you say, even the Sunbow cartoon is not a perfect fit with itself. And Furman's retconned origin for the Marvel characters is not a perfect fit with what Budiansky had created. It was all a bit fast and loose anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Beast Wars, then G1, Then the then airing Cybertron. When I joined here for BW 10th anniversary then I watched everything.

8. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I grew up watching G1, but lost track of the show after the movie & didn't think about it again for a decade. Then Beast Wars hit & that's what really made me love Transformers.

I always compare every new show to BW, because that's my high water mark. It's also the reason I keep sticking with various shows long past the point that I've lost interest (like SW: Clone Wars). Because BW started out fairly corny but turned into one of the best toons I'd ever seen.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Altered Prime

Can you please elaborate on that for me? because from my understanding that's rather impossible

Each episode builds the continuity so how can knowledge of the continuity not come with each episode to you?

10. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

G1 Sunbow popped my cherry and will be my wifu for ever.

Made an attempt at BW that had me crying tears of laughter from the ridiculousness of it all.

Went through Armada and Energon and old RiD but no dice.

I loved Prime, I hated the movies and now I am watching BWs again and this time I short of like it.

But I love my abussive bitch of a wifu that is G1.

11. Mirimus

Mirimus Member Known Well

I had to look up 'wifu'...I hate getting old.

Continuity is like a bad word for me. I was there from the start in 1984, and also from the start had difficulty wrapping my brain around the split between the continuities of the cartoon and the comic...which were supposed to be the same damn thing. So I gave up and just enjoyed what they threw at me for what it was...fun advertisements for them toy robits I loved. And with the exception of a few episodes/moments from Beast Wars, that's how I've viewed every continuity since.

12. pilot00

Define old. I have a feeling I am gonna get a laugh out of this :) 

13. Mirimus

You might...I'll be 44 this year.

14. pilot00

Ok, No I didnt. I was expecting something like 30ish. I am 32, to be 33 in a month :) 

15. myrrh

myrrh Knell-Mown Wember

News Credits:
    ...oh, you're just a youngster!..
    (i'm 46 this year)

...so this spring, in recognition that modern continuities now eclipse G1 in scope, i've made a point to watch/read each of them afresh, on their own terms and with an open mind, to fairly assess the modern material absent any biases my G1 grounding may have previously wrought...

...last week i finished the bay films, the first season of prime, and the furman-era IDW run, and here's what i don't get: why is IDW grouped with the G1 continuity family when its foundational premise, setting, and story arcs share so much more in common with the aligned continuity family?..

16. TFFan01

TFFan01 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Simon Furman considered it G1, referring to it as the "IDW G1 continuity" when he was still in charge of the continuity in the -ation era. Don Figuera though that it was its own thing (and that's apparently the reason he movified the characters). A funpub story said that it was a G1 universe.

It looks like the new writers are just trying to do their own thing just like the movies.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Altered Prime

See that right there is where your first mistake was

The cartoon and the comic were never intended to be as you put it "the same damn thing".

They were always intend it to be true different stories on the singular basic concept

in that it was no different then any other of the fictions of the time that's playing across different mediums

Spiderman cartoons Batman cartoons the super friends superman cartoon were all separate continuities from the comics of those characters.Even the cartoons that shared characters were not in the same continuity (superfriends/batman for example) heck even the Smurfs movie of the time had no real connection to the Smurfs cartoon on TV

To this day I marvel at the amount of people who claim they didn't understand the concept that the Transformers cartoon and tv show were separate continuities

18. Altered Prime

Well you're just a baby:p 

19. Heliblade

Heliblade Autobot Vigilante of Kaon

The movies introduced me to Transformers.

The G1 cartoon made me fall in love with the lore.

Transformers Prime is my favorite series.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Mirimus

I'm going to assume this is not meant to be as insulting as it sounds. But perhaps I need to clarify: the point of my statement was to express why I don't stress about continuity, not to be told I'm wrong for not appreciating the the fact that the G1 comic and cartoon were seperate when I felt (at the time) that they didn't need to be.