Which Classics/Universe/Generations Deluxes Have Aged Well?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TyrantGalvatron, Oct 19, 2016.

1. TyrantGalvatron

TyrantGalvatron Hasbro is NOT your enemy.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I'm trying to fill out my Combiner Wars and Titans Return collection with a few figures from the past.

Due to space issues and because I enjoy them, I mostly collect Deluxe-class figures.

Some of the Classics/Universe/Generations etc. Deluxes (and their Takara counterparts) are PAINFULLY outdated. The seeker mold, the Rodimus /Hot Rod mold, and the Grimlock mold come to mind as EXTREMELY outdated among many others.

I already have Universe Sunstreaker and Hound. I also have RTS Wreck Gar (with Junkheap). I'm thinking about RTS/United Jazz and Generations Warpath. Do you feel that those have aged well?

Are there any other Classics/Universe/Generations Deluxes and/or their Takara counterparts that aren't outdated and would fit in nicely with a Combiner Wars/Titans Return collection?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  2. BottleOfFuture

BottleOfFuture Weaponizer

A lot of Classics molds are pretty outclassed by other things now, but a bunch of Universe and Generations stuff has fared pretty well, I'd say. I have a soft spot for Classics Voyager Prime but he's showing his age, hence why so many people are buying Maketoys Striker Manus or MP-10-V

Generations Warpath and RTS Jazz are some of the best CHUG molds imo. I'd say they've aged pretty well.

Other stuff like Universe Hound, Inferno/Grapple, Universe Cyclonus, Thrilling 30 Arcee, Springer, Jetfire are all pretty great.

• Like Like x 2
  3. TyrantGalvatron

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Awesome. Thanks for the response.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ljacone

ljacone Decepticon Pretender

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I would put Generations Trailbreaker ("Trailcutter") and Hoist in there, especially if you are going for a G1 aesthetic. CW Trailbreaker is too skinny, I think, but the Generations/T30 mold captures the more rounded look of the G1 HiLux boys.

Also want to echo Bottle Of Future with Grapple ("Solar Storm Grappel")!

• Like Like x 1
  5. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

Millions Publishing exclusive Stepper and Legends Arcee are works of art.

• Like Like x 1
  6. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    I don't know if the 2006 seeker mold is "outdated". It still remains the best version this side of Masterpiece to date. The only way they could make it better is if they upscaled it to Voyager and modified the weapons so that they aren't prone to banging into the wings when they lift their arms.

• Like Like x 10
  7. TyrantGalvatron

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    IMO the Classics seeker mold is outdated because it's way too short and stubby and sorely lacks the articulation that alot of today's figures have.

At this point if you need a Classics Starscream and seeker set in your collection, the FOC Deluxe mold is the way to go. With that said, the FOC mold isn't that great either.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
  8. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Temp Banned

News Credits:
    They should just do a new seeker mold bases on the transformation and design of the classics mold.
    Frankly like i said in a very similar recent thread: none of the Universe toys where very good and only Classics Jetfire really stands up to more recent toys.
    Everything pre-thrilling 30's and especially pre-generations is very incompatible with PW3 toys when it comes to style and design.

9. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Do we own the same Seeker toys? They have just as much articulation as a Combiner Wars figure. They may not have ankle tilts...but few deluxe toys do even today. Liek I said, they could stand to be larger...but that's about it.

And why would you push the FoC seeker mold onto anyone? Even the Robotmasters Seekers are better looking than those guys.

10. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    RTS Jazz is amazing. One of the best "classics" figures.
    I'd also say universe Cyclonus has held-up fairly well (especially when compared to the CW figure).
    I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I'd say that original Classics Prime still holds up.

I'm going to have to agree with Wishfulthinking as far as the seekers are concerned. Minus any QC issues. I think Scream is a decent mold. It's not as good as the figures I mentioned above, but it's not as bad as Classics nerf-gun Megatron.

• Like Like x 12
  11. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    The Seeker mold
    Universe 2008 Cyclonus/Henkei Strafe/Botcon Ferak
    Generations Thunderwing & Sky Shadow
    RTS Jazz and all his exclusive repaints
    Generations Warpath/TFCC Treadshot/Botcon Strika
    Thrilling 30 Trailbreaker & Hoist
    Thrilling 30 Skids & Crosscut
    Thrilling 30 Waspinator
    Thrilling 30 Arcee
    Thrilling 30 Chromia

• Like Like x 2
  12. unclemarsellus

unclemarsellus Imaginaut

I have to join the chorus and say Jazz. United Jazz is pretty much a perfect toy and I can't imagine Has/Tak ever being able to improve upon it.

I'd also put Universe Cyclonus up there.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

The Seeker mold hasn't aged poorly, its flaws are just as apparent then as they are now. They have limited arm articulation (universal shoulders and 90 degree elbows is not good), and the design of their legs means that they have limited options for leg poses as well.

But this isn't new. These complaints existed back in 2006.

• Like Like x 4
  14. TyrantGalvatron

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    The seeker mold is missing ankle tilts, a waist swivel and I believe a thigh and upper arm swivels. It also has extremely limited head movement as well.

Put the Classics Seeker mold side by side with any of the Combiner Wars Aerialbots and you'll begin to see just how outdated it is in both bot and jet modes.

Also, I'm not pushing anything on anybody. Just stating my opinion on what I think is the better mold engineering-wise between the Classics Seeker and FOC Seeker molds. But, that isn't saying much because they're both crap when compared to Deluxes released during the last couple of years.

• Like Like x 3
  15. BottleOfFuture

BottleOfFuture Weaponizer

They have the same general joint setup, but the blockiness of the seekers (mainly in the torso) but their hip joints are quite limited compared to most modern stuff. The nosecone hanging off the standard style seekers also limits the neck swivel.

• Like Like x 2
  16. TyrantGalvatron

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    True. Perhaps I worded my original post incorrectly. It's flaws were indeed apparent from the get go. But, they're even more painfully obvious when compared to the extremely well engineered Deluxes we're seeing today.

• Like Like x 1
  17. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    I question how much "better" modern seekers would be, though. You might get slightly better articulation...but at what cost to the rest of the toy to keep it on budget?

Now, I'd be all over better "Datsun" brothers. The weird necks need updating something fierce...and the Combiner Wars versions aren't a true option.

Also, a better Ironhide and Ratchet.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Imperator

Imperator Be like Optimus, wear a mask.

The issue with the seeker mould is articulation vs poseability. The articulation is fine, but it's a really chunky shape that makes accessing that articulation difficult.

Anyway, the Universe Cyclonus mould is still awesome. Love it.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Universe Cyclonus >>>>>>>>>>> CW Cyclonus

Also want to mention (especially if they have an IMHO inferior CW equivalent):
    Universe Hound
    Wheeljack/Tracks. Not sure why these guys rarely get love, but they both wear the mold well and make it their own
    Mirage (first ballot Hall-of-Famer)
    Jazz
    Warpath
    Scourge (love the update)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    I think there are kinda two camps - those that are dated, and then those that have had better toys made since their release.

I think I'd consider the seeker mold a bit dated, but there hasn't been a better version of that character in a classics style at that scale.

Hot Hod is definitely a dated mold, and I think the upcoming TR one will be a fine upgrade.

Then you have stuff like Prowl where you might consider the old toy dated, but the new (CW) version isn't necessiarily better (I like it, but it lacks door wings, etc).

A lot of this also assumes you are talking about classics. Masterpieces generally are better than the classics counterpart, and thus make them seem outdated even if the classics toy is still fine. Like with Sideswipe - I think the Universe toy is still great, but you can't deny that MP Lambor is fantastic.

• Like Like x 3