which classic toys are NOT going into your classics collection?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Grandum, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So, there have been a myriad of posts about what should be (counted as) classics and what shouldn't.

Whilst these discussions are usually about including toys that are not 100% movieverse in the classics collection, it struck me when looking at brr-icys awesome classics collection (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-toy-discussion/552311-chug-appreciation-thread-2012-a-17.html) that although our classics collections are roughly the same size and we only have a handful of toys in common (I count about 10 or so) we had left alot of the same characters out - the classics BW figures, universe blaster, etc.

To me it makes perfect sense to not include there as I define classics as my main criterias are:
    G1 screen accuracy
    Modern poseability
    Same scale as the others (in bot mode)

Everything that doesn't fit that definition gets cut from the roster, but I would like to know how you guys determine what doesn't make it into your classics collection, and your reasoning behind it.

It doesn't have to make sense to anyone but you really, but I'd love to know the reasoning behind why characters like for example lugnut (who is a classics version of a character from another series) is popular and common in peoples classics collection whilst hot shot or dinobot are not.

Thank you for your time.

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Universe 2.0 Cheetor is in the same spot as BM supreme Cheetor - never in my collection.

3. Primal Sabbath

Primal Sabbath Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I put my Henkei Dinobot in with my Beast Wars collection, because I never had a BW Dinobot (still don't, unfortunately). Same with Universe Cheetor. Henkei Hotshot on the other hand, I have displayed with my classics 'bots because I like the mold, and it adds a bit of character(?) to the traditional set up. I've always found it interesting for an Armada character to interact with G1 characters. Universe Blaster will never be a part of my collection :lol  I can't stand the way that figure looks. Generations FOC Blaster will fit right in though. Same Universe Silverbolt and Powerglide. They just don't look right to me. I gues it just comes down to what is personally aesthetically pleasing.

4. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    Non-combining combiners and Powerglide for being too damn big.

5. UltimusPrime

UltimusPrime Banned

News Credits:
    Cheetor and Dinobot!

6. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    haha, thanks for the shout out.

my criteria is:

g1 character.
    alt mode fits the character (ie. universe blaster not happening)
    looks like the character it's supposed to be (universe powerglide's mold looks like g1 hothouse, that's who it will be)
    if there is no acceptable substitute, then a custom will be made (botcon overlord is crap imo)

for the lugnut being popular and cheetor and dinobot not, the bw stuff didn't move around here at all, i think it was 2 years or more later that dinobot and cheetor sold

7. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Because Universe was such a catchall line (nothing wrong with that either!) there are a number of things that didn't quite click with me as "normal" Classics. The Ultra plane-formers would count, as would Dinobot (he's a Beast!).

OTOH I am liberal with "borderline" cases such as GDO Cliffjumper, Powerdive, Megatron...if it has a good headsculpt, has character, has the right amount of detailing for its size, I'll be pretty friendly toward it.

8. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    My Classics to "me" are now a Neo G1 collection so guys like (Uni. Dinobot, Uni. Cheetor, Uni. Hot Shot, Uni. Overload, etc.) have now been removed from my collection. My planned cut-off currently is at updated versions of the '89 toyline so updated micromasters (Uni. Dropshot, Mov. Big Daddy, etc.) and updated versions of actionmasters (Kick-Over, Axer, etc.) are/have now been removed. I'm currently back on the fence about Seaspray & Powerglide. I like them as figures but every time I look at the next to either my deluxe or legends minibots I feel like they dont fit. Universe Blasters has also recently been evicted from my collection as I will either replace him with Device Label or FOC Blaster.

9. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Cheetor, Dino, and Hotshot. Also didn't grab Strafe since I am not a fan of the mold, or any of the A/E/C repaints (outside of nanobot roadbuster) as I just think most don't fit, but not sure if they are Classics anyway. Prettymuch any G1 homage and their repaints/retools will go into my classics collection, as well as something that has a nice upgrade. I would say Seaspray/Deep Dive, and Powerglide/Stormcloud, except for some reason I really like the molds (took a while for Spray to grow on me).

10. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The ones that are just movie redecos (RTS) and stupid redecos of old pre-2006 toys. Like Blaster. Also the BW toys and Hot Shot since I only really put the G1 ones in my collection. WFC/FOC toys are also excluded save for Shockwave, who I modded to look more G1. I guess Henkei Megatron isn't in my collection anymore because of Hegemon.

11. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Pretty much this for me as well. No non-G1 characters (except Breacher, I keep him with Seaspray), no make-so-sense remolds/repaints ala whatever the hell that Universe Blaster was, that shitty Constructicon set, etc., and of course only the best version of G1 characters (no Classics Grimlock at all, waiting for FOC version). Everything else like Banzaiatron, Bludgeon, G1 repaints of movie figures ala Beachcomber & Hoist, etc. = no place in my collection.

12. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    The BW era ones.

Other than those, I'll include all G1/2 and those retconned in as well (Lugnut). I also subscribe to the "best version" of the mold ethos... So FoC Grimy will soon be replacing Henkei Grimy.

Oh, and I've included Fracture in my Classics Decepticons... So add +1 Go Bot.

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Just Dinobot.

14. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Cheetor, Dinobot, any A/E/C or other line repaints. I don't currently have Lugnut or Hot Shot in there, but I've been reconsidering it recently since Tomahawk is in there.

15. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    It's real simple for me. If it fits into the "updated look for a classic character", it's in there. There are a HANDFUL of moviebots in there. 3rd party counts, Hastaktom counts, etc... I threw PCC in there. G1 had all sorts of technology in the form of gimmicks in the later years. I could totally see PCC being a gimmick of an catch-all classics flavored line. So that's why they're there!

16. Kakashi

Kakashi Well-Known Member

Any shoehorns from A/E/C/Movie, for starters. Just... no. A colorscheme and a new head does not equal a character.

I've already removed the following from my collection for being bad toys:

-Galvatron
    -Ratchet
    -Tankor/Octane
    -Optimus Prime (yes, the voyager)
    -Ultra Magnus

I've also considered narrowing my collection by getting rid of some that I feel are outdated:

-Sideswipe/Sunstreaker
    -Jetfire
    -Prowl
    -Bluestreak
    -Ironhide
    -Grimlock

Maybe it's because I'm getting pickier in my old age, but I just don't feel the need to own a character anymore if I don't like his toy. It could be proportions, transformation, sculpt... but if it repels me, I'm less and less likely to let it in my collection anyway because I like the character.

17. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

Notable figures I don't have on my "Classics" shelf are:

Dlx Tank Megatron
    Uni Galvatron
    Uni Powerglide
    Uni Onslaught
    RTS Seaspray
    TFCC Runabout & Runamuck
    I only own two BotCon/TFCC figures, so all of those except G2 Ramjet & "SG" AM Thundercracker.
    FansProject Insecticons (which I just use the reissue G1 figures for)

There's a lot I willingly don't use as "Classics" figures that are pretty common, like Device Label Soundwave & Blaster and many Third Party figures. Tough to really list out everything. Most of them are just for aesthetic gripes- toys are too small/large for their characters, don't look right, etc. Others like Drift and Lugnut I don't display because they have no G1 equivalent; regardless or not if they're in modern comics as my display is based on the G1 cartoon.

18. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I keep seperate Classic shelves for Legends and non-Legends. So the shef with no Legends won't have all the Legends guys. The shelf with Legends will be missing anything Scout or larger.

19. cuters

cuters Diabolist

any none G1 remakes still waiting on trailbreaker though sooner or later i,m shure we,ll see a deluxe scale fig of him.

20. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

I actually kind of play it loose when it comes to my Classics display. I'll include WFC/FOC characters because I feel like they're just different interpretations of G1 characters. Some A/E/C molds have found their way on the shelves as well. Most notably, Energon Shockblast and Scorponok help fill out the Decepticon shelf pretty well.

I do have a few official "Classics" that I refuse to put on the shelves due to a lack of interest in the character or molds. Ironhide, Ratchet, Drift, Sideswipe, Sunstreaker, Darkmount, Inferno, Skyshadow and Thuderwing all come to mind.