Which CHUG has never been repainted or redeco'd?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by DocSeth81, Sep 11, 2016.

1. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Lets start a list! exclusives count too

so far I count (and its not going to be a great list)

Rhinox
    Dinobot
    Cheetor
    Lugnut (is he CHUG or Movie?)
    Cyclonus (I count him because his repaint is a small deco change and is still the same character)
    Galvatron

2. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    Deluxe cyclonus got repainted as straf or scattershoot one of the tecnobots anyways

3. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Lugnut is considered a "Classics" character since hea appeared in the Transformers United manga published in Million Publishing's Transformers Generations 2011 Volume 2 (the manga that features United Stepper and Artfire) and the "Rodimus vs. Cyclonus" comic available with the Reveal the Shield "Battle in Space" set.

Gentei! Gentei! Strafe:
    Strafe (2009) - Cybertron Shooting Member - www.tfu.info

4. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    Warpath (Deluxe) for one.

5. GiganGoji

GiganGoji Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  6. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
  7. GiganGoji

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It was part of the Transformers Collectors Club's Subscription Service and not a regular release, unless we're only counting regular releases.

8. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cyclonus was also redecoed into Ferak by the Club for Botcon '14.

Warpath was also redecoed as Strika & Blastcharge for Botcon '13.

Deluxe Galvatron got redecoes as part of that Challenge for Cybertron three-pack, the United three-pack, and that new Platinum two-pack. There all Galvatron, yes, but redecoes are redecoes.

Those that haven't been redecoed (so far) that I can think of:
    Aforementioned Cheetor/Dinobot/Rhinox & Lugnut
    Voyager Brainstorm
    Minicon Assault Team (stunned Takara hasn't done a micron exclusive campaign with them yet)
    Legends/Legion Cosmos/Brawn/Jazz
    FoC Kickback
    RtS Legends/Legion Megatron
    FoC Ramhorn
    Deluxe BM Tankor

9. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it is more interesting to talk about the ones that weren't repainted for American mass retail. By "mass retail" I am talking about major brick & mortar stores (including exclusives to various ones) and online stores like Amazon, BBTS, and Hasbrotoyshop. Club figures are produced in considerably lesser numbers than virtually anything a Walmart type store would carry, and Takara is kinda their own eco-system.

For Classics, this would be Astrotrain, maybe Megatron, not sure about the new Ramjet parts.

In Universe, Hound is really the only one I can think of. The Galvatron mold is debatable since it is only now being re-used for non-Asian markets in a low profile Platinum set.

For the first Generations line and Reveal the Shield, there is quite a bit more, especially for RtS. A lot of molds from the second half of that line, and most of RtS never got repainted or are just now seeing repaints. Scourge and Wreck-Gar are just now seeing repaints/minor remolds. Warpath, Perceptor, Lugnut, Windcharger probably never will see reuse by Hasbro. Demolition Rumble never even managed an initial release by Hasbro.

With Thrilling 30 there are some waiting to be repainted. A lot in the Voyager size, including Whirl, Roadbuster, and Sky-Byte. Waspinator never got a retail-level repaint but did get a re-release when his wave was re-released (the "Skids" wave that supposedly had QC fixes on some figures) that kept him on shelves for a good while. For the legends size, only Skrapnel has yet to be repainted I think.

In CW, it is really just First Aid and Wheeljack that have yet to be repainted. Bombshell kinda qualifies, but he was in both the first and last waves of his class for the line. That doesn't qualify as a repaint, but getting his mold back out after so long couldn't have been cheap.

+-MWG-+

10. GiganGoji

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I didn't include those two because they had newly sculpted heads, moving them beyond just a repaint/redeco.

11. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Rhinox got a Legends EX version along side Waspinator and Rattrap. Legends Megatron was repainted for chronicle and possibly the candy toy release.

12. Lbsammills51

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't see how that makes a difference. There's no additional retooling that leads people to view it as a totally different figure.

Oh, forgot about EX Rhinox.

RtS Legends Megs? No. The Chronicle release isn't much different than the RtS version, save the proper faction symbol and lack of the orange barrel. I've never seen corresponding Japanese releases treated as redecos, because the level of redecoing can vary from one release to another, so I would never think to count that.
    I'm also not aware at all of a candy release of RtS Megs.
    Are you thinking of the Universe G2 tank mold? That's been redecoed multiple times, in Chronicle and elsewhere.

13. GiganGoji

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Right. The base figure is the same. There was an argument on a different thread about repaints/retools/remolds/redecos, and since the OP didn't list "retools" in the title, I wasn't sure.

Also, in the interest of clarity, if a Takara release of a figure has a metallic paint job, do we count that as a repaint/redeco?

14. Lbsammills51

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Generally, I don't think they count as "redecos." They're different, but they're still corresponding versions of what's released in the US, and how things differ from one company to another varies quite a bit. You can't say United WfC Optimus is a redeco of that mold if you say Micron Legends Unicron isn't a redeco of Armada Unicron. Degrees of difference vary within the same line (Universe/Henkei Smokescreen vs Universe/Henkei Sideswipe, Takara Animated Samurai Prowl barely differs from the Hasbro release, but that's not the case with most other Takara Animated figures) and sometimes within the same release (Universe/Henkei Beachcomber vs Universe/Henkei Brawn, with both figures part of the same Henkei three-pack). Others may feel differently, but if you try that approach, you'll have to go case-by-case and then it gets complicated.

Distinctly separate metallic redecos (that candy EZ box of metallic Legion figures Optimus/G2 purple Megs and others that are separate from the main EZ Chronicle releases of those figures) do count.

15. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    Everyones "CHUG" list or CRUG as I call it (Classics, Reveal The Shield, Universe, Generations) is going to be different. some use Botcon, Takara, Classics Minicons, Cyberverse (Legends) and "Stand-Ins" that were used as filler from other lines, and some don't. I myself DON'T use any of them in my CRUG line. so by my standards (yours will differ) the following were never repainted redeco's or retooled (oh and I only went up to Thrilling 30 I didn't list Combiner Wars, Titans Return or the WFC/FOC toylines)

CLASSICS
    Astrotrain
    Megatron (Gun)

REVEAL THE SHIELD
    Lugnut
    Perceptor
    Windcharger

UNIVERSE
    Cheetor
    Dinobot
    Hot Shot & Jolt
    Hound
    Ravage
    Tankor (Octane)

GENERATIONS
    Arcee
    Brainstorm
    Centuritron
    Chromia
    Orion Pax
    Rattrap
    Rhinox
    Roadbuster
    Scoop with Holepunch & Caliburst
    Scourge
    Sky-Byte
    Tankor
    Warpath
    Waspinator
    Whirl
    Windblade

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  16. Wheeljackie

Wheeljackie He will set us free

I don't think they repainted legends bombshell yet but I'm sure they will repaint him into barrage.

17. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I could've sworn Lugnut was repainted, like I very distinctly recall some version of that mold that had like a yellow head and stuff.

18. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Orion Pax was turned into LioConvoy
    Waspinator got a botcon redeco
    Warpath got treadshot
    Rattrap was turned into the blue rattrap
    Scourge was turned into a club thing with a new head
    Chromia was repainted into the Combiner Hunters
    Windblade COmbiner Hunter and Slipstream and RiD2.0
    Arcee Combiner Hunters and nightbird

• Like Like x 1
  19. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Ok, just looked it up.

The Lugnut with the yellow head was a repaint of the Animated figure, however the Japanese release of the RTS Lugnut did have a completely different paint scheme to the US release.

20. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    My list does not consist of Botcon or Takara stuff guess you missed that part of my post. Oh and RiD Windblade is a new mold not a repaint