Which childhood Transformer figure you owned was special to you?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by -Sideways-, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    Noble bro-first initiated.

[​IMG]

It's amazing how much several pieces of plastic can make an impact on people's lives.

2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    I've got several, really...

Armada Hot Shot: the first TF I ever got. I even knew he was crap back then after I got my hands on an Alternator Hound, but I still loved him all the same. Still got him with all his stuff, too.

Armada "Leader" Optimus Prime: First Optimus, and frankly one of my fondest Christmas memories. You see, for some reason, my mom had told me quite clearly that I was NOT going to get Optimus Prime for Christmas (had something to do with not hanging my towels in the bathroom). Then, at Christmas time, I went crazy when one of my presents ended up being Optimus Prime. Turns out my grandparents hadn't gotten the message about no Optims Prime for Christmas, or told my parents they HAD gotten him for me for Christmas. The vindication I felt was only increased by the momentary looks of utter shock on my parents' faces when the forbidden toy was revealed. I've lost a few pieces to the old Prime over the years, namely the smokestacks on the arms and the big gun, and his cab paint isn't in the best condition, but he still stands tall on my Unicron Trilogy shelf in super pants mode, and someday I'll find the missing guns.

Armada Sideways - namely special in that thought his character in the show was awesome because he had two/three heads and could do all kinds of crazy stuff, and also because I perceived him as "rare" due to never seeing him in stores. Now I've finally got one lined up to be shipped to me as soon as I get my paycheck and can pay the seller.

3. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Transformers weren't the main toys of my childhood (Power Rangers, Darkwing Duck, and Jurassic Park took that place), and the handful I got were mostly because their alt modes were creatures I like. The only ones I remember definitely having were the G2 Dinobots and the Fuzors Buzzclaw, Sky Shadow, and Terragator. The Fuzor's were the favored TFs and I wanted to get more of them... but Jurassic Park also had a "mix of two different creatures" thing going on.

Incidentally, I still have all my hybrid Jurassic Park dinosaurs from my childhood (which turned out to be nearly the entire line) and NONE of my TFs (I've re-bought a Buzzclaw since then).

4. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I have a small special affection for The Autobot Double Targetmaster Quickmix as I was given them for a gift that I didn't even ask for so the surprise and pleasure made me have a soft spot for him..

I suppose in General thinking back it's characters that stick in the mind for some reason that you develop an attachment for.

For example I really like Starscream in the main for the episode "Ghost in the Machine" and so on.

I think one of the reason Rattraps toy is so hard to get is people just don't want to part with them as Rattrap is such a main character for the show that you just want to hold on to him I think the episode where he's trapped inside the Axalon cements his character for me.

One of the reason I'm indifferent to Bumblebee is i'm still waiting for him to get a Character Moment that defines him he's had some I guess but not enough to elevate him to favoured status.

Fllght of the Bumblebee, Using a Rocket Launcher in the Dreamwave Comics, Waking up Primus I suppose where small moments.. but I'm finding it hard to remember much of what he did on the TV show - where as I can remember more of what Hound did oddly.

Hound is a good example as he was hardly ever in any comics so his definition as a character all comes from his season 1 cartoon appearances, that applies somewhat to Trailbreaker too I guess - as other than there Cartoon appearances they didn't do much in the last 25 years.

I like Hound a lot regardless though what little we get to see of him - he's very warm and Humane and trustworthy.

5. TFao

TFao Well-Known Member

I already answered this thread with my favorite childhood toy being Huffer, but I had to come back and mention RiD Scourge. He was the one that got me back into buying TFs.

6. twiztidRodimus

twiztidRodimus Shattered Glass Autobot

News Credits:
    g1 Optimus Prime
    [​IMG]

I reenacted the movie scenes often, and sang ''The touch'' when I was a kid.

7. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Speaking of carting ones around with your I sort of used to do that a fair bit with Micromasters like Flack, Tote, Swindler, & Roadhandler or even Hotrod's Targetmaster Firebolt.

I still sometimes slip a minicon in my pocket if I know I might want something to fiddle with while i'm waiting for someone.

8. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Terrorcon King

I have vague recollections of owning a G1 Bumblebee and folding him into my GoBots, but the one that I toted around everywhere was GoBots Loco.

9. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    g1 hardhead for reasons I will not go into here.

10. thebruteslayer

thebruteslayer Banned

News Credits:
    Armada Unicron, he's the only one I saved from my old collection. He still stands tall on my shelf.

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I can't pick just one, so I'll list mine all come from G1, 1984-1989, so here we go:

Thundercracker tops my list, as it was my first TF ever back in '84.

Prowl is very iconic to me, for several reasons: the Autobot symbol is based off of his noggin, and being a police car always seemed to represent "hero" to me, as cops are the good guys! It was also the first Transformer I broke. My dad tried to help me glue the roof back on, but I finally had to just give up on it. Many years later, I was able to repair it.

Optimus Prime, just because it's Optimus Prime. Megatron and Soundwave, for the same reasons and that they are role play toys as well.

Sludge was my first Dinobots, but I really liked all of the Dinobots as a kid. Swoop was my last one.

Targetmaster Hot Rod I liked better than Rodimus Prime, especially after Optimus Prime returned. I liked Rodimus Prime ok, but I always like Rodimus better without the Matrix.

Ultra Magnus really got some major playtime from me, because it was as if I got an "ultra" Optimus Prime toy that transformed into a larger robot. After Optimus Prime returned, I reenacted "The Return of Optimus Prime" many, many times.

Metroplex and Trypticon I got for Christmas the year they came out, and I always love bases. Trypticon is motorized as well!

Fortress Maximus, as it is the largest I've owned. I also got it as my birthday gift that year.

Bludgeon was the last Transformer purchase made until nearly 1999.

I am very proud to say that I still own each of these Transformers from my childhood (though my Optimus Prime is #2, as I my first one broke and I replaced it with buying my cousin's from our family yard sale).

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  12. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

idk about special, but my original transformers as a kid were;

protectobots
    pointblank and peacemaker
    nosecone
    the four terrorcon limbs
    shrapnel
    tentikill
    radio shack shockwave

and later, when i was ten,
    g2 optimus prime
    g1 blaster, g2 slag, 2 stunticon limbs, sunstreaker, and g2 sidesipe *got them used at value village.
    g2 constructicons *yellow, all of them!*
    g2 eagle eye

these all being my transformers as a kid, before i had prime, i used pointblank as the leader, and i never had megatron as a kid, never had a single megatron until beast wars actually. beast wars megatron gator was my first megatron! so anyways these are all the ones i played with as a kid. i used to play with shackwave but then he fell apart quite early on. wow what a poorly made toy shockwave really is! :lol  so with out megatron, i used shrapnel as my decepticon leader, mainly because i thought he was the coolest i had. though i didn't have many cons back then. i used a lot of gobots to fill their ranks.

so i guess all the above have a special place in my heart, since they're the ones i played with as a kid!

by the time beast wars came out i was in 4th to 7th grade. i still collected them though, i still bought them regularly! i just didn't play with them.

but even at first i wasn't really too interested in beast wars, then again fox kids here never played any of the tv series here past season 1. if season two had been played here, i probably would of watched it more!

i never saw beast wars season 2 until the ending 5 episodes played on toonami for that one week. so in other words, fox screwed me out of enjoying beast wars! :lol 

i never really did any episodes while playing with them, though i never saw any of the show until g2 came on.

so mostly i created my own versions of the characters when i played. and i'd always have the decepticons win at the end for some reason, well until prime, or pointblank stood up, and beat them all :lol 

but normally i'd have optimus prime wounded and repaired for half the battle. then he comes back and kicks butt! :lol 

the only thing about g1 i remember watching was the 86 movie, which i first saw in 89. and my young imagination remembered it much differently when i first got a prime during g2.

but then i started also using things like exo squad and the battletech toys with my play, and sometimes even starwars! :lol 

13. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

G1 Prime. My Grandma who passed away a month ago, bought him for me for Christmas '84. No joke, she searched TRUs in 3 states to find him- NY, NJ and Connecticut. She found him in CT. Transformers were VERY HOT sellers that Christmas, along with Cabbage Patch Kids.

Prime's arm broke in summer of '85, so Prowl lead my Autobots until Rodimus came along in '86.

14. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

blah, my broken toys got played with just as much as my not broken ones :lol  i just pretended they were battle damaged!

15. AMG

AMG Old School

As a kid was my G1 Shockwave. I'll never forget going to buy him with my birthday money so long ago. I still have him now and he's in great shape.

16. Wingnut

Wingnut Stayin' Alive!

Ebay:
    G1 Laserbeak. It's the only one I still have from my youth. Missing his blasters though.

17. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    G1 Twin Twist I had when I was little.

18. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    I gotta say Powermaster Prime. He was hands down my biggest one. I also had to take Doubledealer with me everywhere.

19. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Abominus

20. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    Armada Cheetor. First transformer I ever got and I brought that thing with me EVERYWHERE. It was a sad day when I lost his tail weapon.