Which BW Prime is actually Optimus Prime?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by transtrekkie, Jul 31, 2014.

1. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

So, to my understanding there are basically three "Optimus Primesque" robots: Big Convoy, Lio Convoy, and Optimus Primal. Now, we all know Optimus Primal is a different character from the original Optimus Prime, so I'm wondering if it's actually established anywhere if either of the other two are actually Optimus Prime or if they are also completely different characters?

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Optimus Prime is long dead in the Japanese continuity. Ginrai (or rather, the Transtector that achieved sentience after being bonded with Ginrai) was rebuilt into Victory Leo. The "beast" convoys are all different characters, or at least not established as Optimus Prime.

3. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If the original Optimus Prime is still alive in the beast era, he's one of the members of the Convoy Council, not Big or Lio or Primal.

4. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

My understanding for Optimus Primes wherabouts in the BW series, is that Prime retired, and started exploring the galaxy. But don't remember where I read that.

5. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

none of them

6. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

I had a feeling this was the answer, but I'll admit, I did like the idea of Big Convoy being the original which would easily explain why he was on the council and why he has a matrix.

7. Spiderbite

Spiderbite Well-Known Member

If you go by the toy bios, the bat Optimus Primal and the 96 ultra ape Primal can be considered Optimus Prime.

Big Convoy does have a few similarities to Optimus Prime; notably his chest resembles OP's truck windows (albeit with a circular piece of armor over it). He even has the truck lights on top. BW Neo was released in '99, which was the 15th anniversary, so I wonder if that was intentional.

8. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All different characters. Optimus has died a long time ago

9. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Lio Convoy is the closest of the three personality wise, but all three are different guys. BW Convoy was initially posited as a reincarnated Convoy (since in Japanese continuity, Convoy was actually alive somewhere - he died yes but then he got better... again). That was later dropped, or attributed to a mistranslation. Or something.

Mako Crab is right, if he were around he'd be on the Council were he anywhere.

Depending on which fiction you go by though original Optimus Prime is alive and retired. The one bit of fiction linking G1 and Beast Wars - written by Simon Furman for Transforce UK - had Optimus peacefully slip away into a valhalla style afterlife where he was warmly greeted by Megatron. While not canonical, I feel it's a fitting and even moving end for the big guy.

10. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

The only time Optimus Prime appeared in BW was when Megatron attack him in the Ark

11. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's an Energon Matrix, all Convoy-rank Maximals have them.

12. Muramasa

Muramasa Well-Known Member

Other than Ravage and Starscream, nothing was mentioned of the fate of anybody from the G1 series.

13. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Yeah Lio Convoy had one molded in and in the BWII movie they mention Primal had one too in the Japanese continuity

14. sirferom

sirferom Member

if i remember correctly there's a post g2 story in e-hobby featuring optimus prime, which shows he's still alive and kicking, also if you loof at botcon 1997 he makes an appearance, so he's definitely alive, we just don't know much about him post g2

15. Shortwave

Shortwave Autobot fembot

the big red truck guy.

16. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Here.

News Credits:
    So many convoys.

17. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    By the way, I originally assumed all Beast Wars series took place around the same time (for American Beast Wars I obviously mean those characters' present, not prehistoric Earth they go to), but I read somewhere - sidestepping if it's even the same universe or not- that the Japanese BW (was intended to) actually take(s) place thousands of years later, still?

And then there's some kind of team up with Primal in a movie and BW Megatron changing the course of Cybertron history and....argh, my brain?

Can anyone enlighten me?

18. greboguru

greboguru Psychedelic Brainchild

When BWII and Neo were airing, the implication was that they took place in the future from which Primal and BW Megatron came from (basically, the two years after the Axalon left Cybertron and before Beast Machines). Later on, Takara changed their minds and set BWII and Neo untold millennia after Beast Machines.

In the same vein: when Galaxy Force (Cybertron) was airing, it was not supposed to be a sequel to Super Link (Energon). However, that got changed too with the new "All are one" Japanese continuity.

In the Japanese continuity, at least, I'm pretty sure Fire Convoy is not supposed to be the same character as Optimus Prime (G1 Convoy).

(I like to imagine in my own headcanon that Galaxy Force/Cybertron Optimus is the same character as Car Robots/RID Optimus (both firetrucks), and that Galaxy Force/Cybertron Megatron is the same character as Car Robots/RID Megatron.)

Also, in BWII we met Great Convoy (leader of the Convoy Council) and his two fellow Convoy Council leaders, and in BWNeo we met Crow Convoy (a Maximal star fleet captain stuck mid-transformation). Plus BWII had Lio Junior, who is a Convoy in every way except name. And in Japan, bat Primal was called Convobat and was a different character IIRC. That would make the Japanese non-Optimus Prime count of Convoys be 10:

"Beast" Convoy (Optimus Primal)
    Convobat
    Lio Convoy
    Lio Junior
    Great Convoy
    Great Convoy's fellow leaders
    Big Convoy
    Crow Convoy
    Fire Convoy

There are sure to be other Convoys who are members of/subject to the Convoy Council.

19. gawddammit

gawddammit Rocketchoochoo

News Credits:
    I've read that as well. Supposedly one of the writers/producers said it in an interview?

20. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

NONE!