Which Bumblebee Design do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by SuperRock7, Aug 9, 2019.

?

Which Bumblebee Design Do You Prefer?

1. BB Movie Design

106 vote(s)
    75.2%
  2. 2007-2009 Bumblebee Design

35 vote(s)
    24.8%
  1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Formerly SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    How, exactly? Unless his point was that the BB designs are far better character designs and the Bay designs are nearly incomprehensible to the average moviegoer.

You're on a public forum, you're kinda talking to everybody.

• Like Like x 5
  2. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like Bumblebee with a small vehicle form but something like the 1967 Camaro or how Bumblebee looked in the BB movie with the 1977 Camaro parts.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Veteran

News Credits:
    Ok guys...as a general unspoken rule...we really do want people to have a discussion. But if the discussion devolves into petty arguments, then we have to step in. Not saying this thread has gone there (yet), but we certainly don't want this thread to. By all means, if you have a good debate, then debate. A good debate does not involve direct or indirect insults. Let's keep it on that vein. I kindly ask that everyone please do your best to have a civil productive conversation whether you agree with another poster, or not. :)  Going forward though...further reports of problem posts will be evaluated and handled appropriately as needed.

And with that PSA, carry on folks :) 

• Like Like x 3
  4. Override Prime

Override Prime Well-Known Member

BB movie design 100%. My only issue with it are the lingering Bayverse qualities.

There's something I want to get off my chest real quick though.
    See, I've never been creeped out by the uncanny valley effect. I can tell when something has fallen into it, and when a design in supposed to fall into it, but never really been scared or unsettled by something like that. Certainly not the way I've had it described to me. I honestly thought everyone was exaggerating.
    Then Bumblebee came out, and I LOVED it. Still love it, seen it like 6 times now. I can't look at Bayverse BBs face anymore. No exaggerating. It doesn't scare me or anything, it just feels wrong. It's literally unsettling to look at now. I do a double-take whenever I see it on a DVD cover at the store. The uncanny valley effect is the only way I can explain it. It looks like sweet boy, but it doesn't at the same time.
    Its just a movie robit. Really shouldn't weird me out so bad. I'm probably coming across really over-dramatic, but tis how i feel. Gives me the heebie-jeebies man. :confused: 

• Like Like x 2
  5. BelnadesPistol

BelnadesPistol Banned

I meant him saying people claiming that all Bay designs look like walking scrapyards is ludicrous. But whatever, this is pointless.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout A face you can trust! Really!

Dude, that's legitimately a complaint that's been fielded by mainstream reviews for the Transformers films since 2007. Just because you disagree with the notion doesn't mean that him claiming other people have said it is 'ludicrous when it's exactly what other people have been saying for years,

Michael Bay walks out of Samsung press conference

Transformers Movie Review & Film Summary (2007) | Roger Ebert

• Like Like x 7
  7. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    I never said that. I said people find them indescribable at times and downright messy at others, and that particular screenshot of Optimus where he's badly damaged was impossible to make out.

It's not ludicrous, because it happens, and I proved that it happened. (anecdotally but there's plenty of evidence out there) I mean, the simple fact that we're comparing Bumblebee shows that the aesthetic or jumbled, jagged, over-detailed parts is the core concern. If it was simple nostalgia or G1-fanboyism people would hate Bumblebee's newest design as much as the old one because neither looks like G1 Bumblebee, but one looks a hell of a lot better than the other and evokes that same character.

• Like Like x 6
  8. BelnadesPistol

BelnadesPistol Banned

I said I was done arguing. Continue echoing if you want, though

• Like Like x 5
  9. Autobot Burnout

To be fair, you haven't really been doing much beyond just refuting the opinions of people you disagree with and then acting petulant with quips like "not talking to you" as opposed to simply not replying at all.

I mean, you already stated you hate the BB movie style instead of the original Bay style, but you dont really explain why you prefer one over the other. Hard to have a design discussion when all you do is talk down to others like this.

• Like Like x 7
  10. electronic456

News Credits:
    Well about that. Pure irony. From my experience, it is rough and difficult.

Let's be real. No one is a white knight here.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  11. popcorn

popcorn Well-Known Member

BB designs. Especially the Cybertron scenes where they actually looked like they're supposed to.

• Like Like x 3
  12. ShockwaveCannon

ShockwaveCannon Banned

Ebay:
    Well said

• Like Like x 1
  13. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    What makes our "echoing" any different than people who agree with you?

Like, both sides of the argument are doing the exact same thing here. Neither is being any better or worse than the other, just citing their reasons and explanations for why they prefer their style.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Autobot Burnout

It comes off more as people whining about other people complaining about not liking the older movie designs over Bumblebee.

Also, its laughable that the BB designs were a reason why the film didn't perform as well as it could have ( THAT is almost entirely because marketing failed to establish the film wasnt a bay film and the spectre of TLK loomed still). That first trailer dropped with the transforming Seeker and the amount of positive reaction to "Starscream" absolutely proved the appeal of modernized versions of the classic designs.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Whomps

Whomps Well-Known Member

BB Bumblebee by miles, and I found Bayverse Bee to be one of the more tolerable designs

• Like Like x 2
  16. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    All this talk of Bumblebee's design makes me really wish we had gotten those Model Kits that were on display months ago.

• Like Like x 2
  17. electronic456

News Credits:
    Or the other way around.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Dotmshockwave

Dotmshockwave Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Google+:
    Not being able to tell the good guys from the bad guys is not entirely up to design choice. Yes it does factor but that is up to . more the director than the design. Bay's shots are hard to follow, rugged and crazy style to film making. This is one of my biggest gripes because it is not the design that really causes this it is bay's style.
    Just pulling back the camera arguably makes it much easier to follow, this was one of the few things AOE got right, the camera pulled back and it was much easier to follow the action. But on top of this fact, it should not be design that determines how you relate to a character, it should be STORY and CHARACTERIZATION. Just because bay sucks at characterization doesn't automatically make the designs bad. Having Prime look like his G1 counterpart instead of the knight style is not what makes a better movie. It is the development of the characters in the story, style should never be over substance, that was the core issue with bay's films, so now everyone hates the design choices. If you made a legitimately well rounded film like bumblebee with Bay's design choices you would still have a good film with interesting and unique designs. Which is also arguably why the first 07 film still holds up, it is well rounded, has crazy unique designs, and has a heart to itself, maybe not quite as good as bumblebee but it definitely is still there. And that had nothing to do with design choice.
    Also on the people who like the bay design choices (yes I run into them quite often), I call them the non-nerd mainstream movie goer. That is right, they do exist, the guys that do not watch endless tf videos on youtube, or grew up watching the g1 cartoon, and yes they are quite a big audience. I call them normal middle class, out doorsy, non nerdy civilians. There is quite an abundance of them in the real world. And as a matter of fact I am not usually the one to bring the design choice up.

I really do not see how G1 being in live action is a huge feat. Literally anyone can make a cgi robot (any design choice you want) and make it look "realistic" on screen. Also if you want a counter argument, every entirely G1 design we see doesn't even get live action, they are all in entirely animated areas. All the "live action" scenes are owned by shatter, dropkick, bee, and Blitzwing, who's seeker design is beautiful but also obviously bay inherited. I mean, the dudes face is like G1 starscream had had sex with Blackout.

Speaking of hard to tell apart are we gonna ignore the seekers? Literally nobody thought blitzwing was blitzwing, anyone sees a flying jet they automatically think starscream, especially a red one (tho blitzwing is an F4 and Screamer is an F15). And on cybertron, no damn way you could tell them all apart, they copy pasted like 30 of them in 1 frame, and then they had Bee decapitate and kick one who looks exactly like blitzwing, which he then gets his ass handed to him by the same exact looking character (blitzwing) later. "Oh but that was a different character". Oh so you are saying that character matter's more than design? Funny, cause it feels like I just mentioned that...

And finally, no, I don't think knightverse g1 Prime's design is that unique. Especially considering we have better modernised g1 designs in concept art that we have seen before. Now I am not saying it is bad by any means, but I mean it isn't that hard taking G1 prime and slapping more kibble on him, this is not a hard feat. especially when you compare his Bee design to this beautiful design by our very own Josh nizzi himself. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Like cmon.

Umm, dude come on. [​IMG] Look at that. Remove the flames, take the mouth away and my goodness, we got ourselves a winner.

Except, it does, because that is what being different is, it means you are unique. Doesn't make him better, nobody is saying that, atleast I am not anyway, but it certainly makes him unique.
    Oh and the films being shit still doesn't have much to do with design choice. As I recall, AOE performed pretty damn well at the box office, and even TLK smoked it's first weekend. But, you know what happened? TLK sucked, it did, it was a legitmately bad film. Super sloppy, terribly paced, barely any good cybertronian screen time, crappy dialogue, and the biggest crime of all which I honestly think really killed the film. Not one smack down besides prime v Bee which lasts 2 min and was shown entirely during the trailers. For a franchise known for it's incredible robo battles, not having 1 robo smackdown when you are promising a beautifully designed new megatron and an evil optimus to fight for half a year, as well as barricade v bee, prime v bee, and maybe even a dinobot vs a dragon transformer. To not have a single one of those fights in a film can be...disappointing to say the least.
    So I am sorry, no, I do not think design killed bayformers.

Bay killed bayformers.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  19. Stormragetron

Stormragetron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bumblebee movie is my prefered design .
    I did like him in 2007 movie but Age Of Extinction bee was a monstrosity .

To me Bumblebee should be friendly looking and smaller than most autobots .

• Like Like x 3
  20. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ideally he has a normal face or a faceplate. The ball gag look is sickening.

• Like Like x 3