Which Bumblebee Design do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by SuperRock7, Aug 9, 2019.

?

Which Bumblebee Design Do You Prefer?

1. BB Movie Design

107 vote(s)
    75.4%
  2. 2007-2009 Bumblebee Design

35 vote(s)
    24.6%
  1. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Yes :wink: 

2. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

BB Movie Design. He is shaped like a good boy.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Hubcap

Hubcap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like both of them for the robot modes and car modes, but oh my gosh the faces are hideous on both of them.

My vote goes to.....Cyberverse Bumblebee.

As a toy, mpm7 is an absolute ordeal and mpm3 is a work of genius.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SuperRock7

SuperRock7 Out of money and ideas

News Credits:
    ....Cyberverse isn’t even in the poll. And I don’t know why you brought up toys in a movie discussion...

• Like Like x 2
  5. BelnadesPistol

BelnadesPistol Banned

God, not Cyberverse. The Thrilling 30 figure looks so much better. But that isn't even relevant, so..

• Like Like x 2
  6. Dotmshockwave

Dotmshockwave Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Google+:
    God this place has gotten even more toxic as time wears on. You know what I find funny. This fandom seems to have a huge disconnect compared to the general public. People here hate the bay designs, but literally anyone I have legitimately asked in real life who is not a TF super fan really liked the designs and thought the older style wasn't working. Look I like both design choices, but claiming all bumblebee movie designs were better then all the bay films is laughable.

Shockwave, sentinel, 1-3 optimus, ironhide, jazz, blackout, brawl, bonecrusher, barricade, DOTM/TLK Megs. List goes on.
    And look the bumblebee designs are great too. But they really arent anything special. Its G1 optimus in live action. Which is cool, and we have wanted that forever, and the seekers. But dear lord, there is a reason bb didnt perform like the other films. It needs more then just nostalgia. And granted I loved BB. There is a good article on what bumblebee lacked and why it didnt perform as well. 'Bumblebee' Is Struggling At The Box Office, And Here Are 3 Reasons Why

Anyway my point is. I like the new design, but senselessly bashing the old ones over and over again is so goddamn pointless. The damage has already been done, what's the point in continually complaining about something that isn't even as horrible as you remember.

• Like Like x 12
  7. BelnadesPistol

BelnadesPistol Banned

Amen.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Not only is the Bumblebee Movie design better, their version of the Camaro Bumblebee design is easily superior to the one that appeared in 2007.

9. Jochimus

Jochimus Sandwiches? Blimey, whatever did I give the wife?

I prefer it myself, even though, again, it's basically just Camaro parts slapped onto the VW version:
    [​IMG]
    I basically like it just because there's none of the exposed machinery of the '07 design.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Evan Wellens

Evan Wellens Hyped for MPM Jazz!

Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Can we just get a round of applause for this guy? Thanks!

• Like Like x 4
  11. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Where are all these people? Most who I've talked to say the fight scenes are confusing and can't tell the good guys from the bad guys. If you look on social media or any non-fan comments for these films, that's the largest criticism. Either your sample size just happens to contain outliers or you are framing your question in a way where you hear a specific response.

Except they are special as they are a direct counterargument to the whole stance of "G1 designs will never work in live-action". You don't need to make the designs completely unrecognizable to be special. You can do that by adding a bit of creative liberty here and there, and that's what we have with this Prime. He's G1 in silhouette but still retains unique components such as larger shoulders, different abdomen, and his metal spine. And honestly, creating a design where you simultaneously respect the source material and modernizing it is a greater feat than making something up.

I still like Bayverse Prime, however, sporting a more different design from his previous counterparts doesn't make him special.

Yeah, I wonder why. It's not like the previous films were shit causing the public perception of this franchise to dwindle by the time the film came out.

...But you just complained about the Bumblebee designs a paragraph up.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 8
  12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Formerly SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Just because you disagree with people doesn't make things "toxic." Toxicity as a complaint has always been a petty insult, but you're especially robbing it of whatever intended meaning it may have had.

And yet everywhere I've seen off TF sites I've heard people complain that the Bay deisgns looked like incomprehensible scrap piles and they can't tell anyone apart due to the shear visual overload the cluster of blurry, fast-moving parts creates.

I mean, it isn't. For one, the Bumblebee designs (for the Earth characters at least) all look far more grounded and tangible, verses the Bay design were jagged metal parts just jutted off it random angles, and pieces seemed to be held together through no visible force when they moved. I remember once showing my art teacher, who had a great eye for abstract and detail, a pic of Prime from the end of ROTF and he thought it was a literal scrap pile until I pointed out his features.

The Bay designs are great as stationary, singular characters of focus when kept in frame and slowed down so you can appreciate the complexity and alien aesthetic. In motion, during conflict, and as relatable characters they fail in every regard. Most have faces totally incapable of proper emotion or expression, even the Autobots. You can see pieces move, but they don't move in a way that properly convey anything. You cna take any still from Bumblebee, of which there's near countless opportunities, and perfectly discern the robots and their features without difficulty.

Shockwave barely even resembles a robot, looking more like some kind of skeletal monster of which only the upper body is clearly defined. Sentinel is a fantastic design, but he's also far closer to the BB designs in terms of solidity and cohesion. I could easily see BB Prime and Bumblebee next to Sentinel without any sense of stylistic disconnect. Optimus, Ironhide, Jazz, and etc, while designs I personally like, have some truly odd and difficult to discern aspects. I love Bayformers Ironhide, but even I admit his legs are just a jumbled mess of randomly angled, jagged parts. I have no idea where his knees are even supposed to be, nor where exactly his shoulders actually are. As a deisgn I'm meant to see as a character, it's remarkably difficult to see it as a character.

They absolutely are. They're Transformers as everyone remembers them, easily identifiable and nostalgic whilst still being new and interesting. Optimus may still have a tone of parts and small details, but he's still clearly G1 Optimus. He's blocky, heroic, and his parts layout makes sense. He doesn't have a completely different face or proportions, and he doesn't have random bits of sharp metal sticking out in weird angles for no reason.

Except the average movie goer wouldn't say it's "G1 Optimus Prime," they'd merely say it's Optimus Prime.

Because it was a summer blockbuster released in December following one of the most critically reviled entries into the series ever. The fact that it didn't outright bomb is a minor miracle, and given the way it was almost sent out to die it goes to show the strength of the film and word of mouth had that it managed to still be a success despite stiff competition and awful release circumstances.

Because for people who don't like the Bay designs, the last ten years have been unbearable. I can only imagine if, say, the "Prime" aesthetic became the standard 'image" of Transformers for ten years. I'd have been sorely disenfranchised with the franchise.

People are happy to see what they've waited a decade to see. They're thrilled to be getting their due, and feel vindicated against naysayers (of which I fully admit I was one, of course I was also ten years younger and a bratty little shithead) now that what they've always wanted is proven to work. Not only was G1 Transformers finally done in live action, it was done right. Years of abstract 'reimaginings' that feel more detached than frikkin' Beast Machines and fan favourites constantly overlooked or altered to the point of unrecognizability have finally ended.

And that's just it, there was damage done. The Bayformer style influenced Transformers immensely and permanently altered the landscape in subtle and not-so-subtle ways. The taste of Michael Bay's influence is still very much fresh in people's mouths, and Bumblebee was just one sip of water to try and wash it out.

• Like Like x 10
  13. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout A face you can trust! Really!

@Music and @SPLIT LIP

I'm not sure there's anything more I could add, you just absolutely obliterated the guy :lol 

• Like Like x 2
  14. BelnadesPistol

BelnadesPistol Banned

You just proved his point.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Minibots

Minibots The New Order.

Not at all.

• Like Like x 8
  16. BelnadesPistol

BelnadesPistol Banned

Not talking to you

• Like Like x 1
  17. Minibots

Minibots The New Order.

By all means don’t!

• Like Like x 7
  18. BelnadesPistol

BelnadesPistol Banned

???

19. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout A face you can trust! Really!

And what was his point because I don't think you actually understood it, given you're saying SPLIT saying that the designs looked horrible when moving was apparently a good thing.

• Like Like x 5
  20. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Voted BB based solely on the head design in that film. Very emotive face with better looking eyes and speaker/mouth than any other iteration. The lack of permanently up door wings worked me too. Ultimately I’d like to see a little touch of Bay-ness interjected into the new Bee. I think the Decepticon earth forms were the perfect blend merging the new design style of Bee with some of what worked from the Bay films design style.

• Like Like x 5