Which 3P figures won't be replaced on your shelf?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Terramotus, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Terramotus

Terramotus Triple-Changer

With The War for Cybertron trilogy making some really nice pieces, a lot of the older CHUG-style 3P toys are seeing some serious competition for their shelf space. Similarly, as the Masterpiece line expands, 3P offerings might see better competition.

I'm not trying to start a discussion on which figures are better. Instead, I got to thinking - which figures am I going to keep, even when the new figures are better? FansProject Warbot Defender and City Commander both leave a lot to be desired next to Siege Springer and Ultra Magnus. I've already decided to replace them on my Season 3 shelf. However... I've got some attachment to them, with each being a "first" and being responsible for seriously getting me into collecting. My solution for them is that I've got a FansProject shelf, where City Commander, Defender, Trianix Alpha, Steelcore, Parallax Armor Optimus, and others can go, by my Wreckers. It helps that they've got a sort of connection to that, since a number of my regular Wreckers also come from FP.

It got me thinking about what other figures I plan on keeping. There are arguably better Devastators than Hercules, but I've kept him because of his "first" status as well. I really love the FP Dinobots, so it's unlikely that I'll be replacing them (though I might get some future Hasbro Dinobots if they're good enough - can you really have too many?)

What 3P figures do you have an attachment to that you won't give up?

• Like Like x 3
  2. SWAGE66

SWAGE66 Reeled Robot

Maketoys Buster Stealthwing and Striker Noir - nothing else matches the look I like for Decepticons so spot-on, and they are both crazy fun. They almost need their own space because they look so serious compared to almost everything else I have.

Planet X Asclepius

Maketoys Utopia, too. Just too bad-ass, and his size is perfect for what I have going on.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Matrix1981

Matrix1981 It's Hot Rod's fault...

All of them. Lol

• Like Like x 2
  4. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Every single one of them will eventually be replaced. Just not now.

5. rabid_wolf

rabid_wolf Well-Known Member

Constructor
    Dx9 Gabriel

6. edgecrusher

edgecrusher Pepperidge Farm remembers TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Most of mine won't be replaced. I'm not interested in being a perpetual collector. In fact, I'm thinning things out while awaiting FT to get back in gear on their S1 & S2 G1 MP figures, which will be about the only replacements going forward.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Zappit

Zappit Well-Known Member

Feral Rex is my CHUG Predaking. Nothing else even comes close. He was my first 3rd Party combiner, and he’s still my favorite.

Constructor is my second favorite combiner. He was a monumental pain in the arse to collect and build, but he’s so impressive in combined mode.

Striker Noir is just a beautiful piece, and there’s really not a better version of Nemesis out there.

IT Megatron might just be a KO, but he improved on everything. I also love his coloration and prefer it to the original’s paint.

Carnifex was a grail piece for me. He’s never coming down.

Warden was a recent acquisition, and after installing the upgrade kit, he’s just absolutely stunning. He earned a permanent spot.

• Like Like x 9
  8. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

None of my figures are going to be replaced, since I bought them because I liked them a lot and I still do.

I won't sell my Sovereign just because Abaddon will show up... Someday... I still have Ordin (my first transformer) and I keep him displayed proudly!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  9. Calabask

Calabask Waspinator Cultist

News Credits:
    Striker Noir, FansHobby Double Evil, MMC Turmoil, MMC Whirl, MMC Senator Ratbat(I expect. need to get him in yet. Lol.), My IF Figures and NewAge Figures(When I get the rest of NA stuff.). I need to think of everything else.

If Unlucky, MT Fallen, and Nova Prime.

MMC Demonicus prominion and Nova Prime(I use the later as Prima.).

Oh Yeah. PE Cryotek and TM2 Megatron.

Oh. And if you mean, will they ever be sold? None of my third party bots will get sold unless I have absolutely no choice. None of my TF's will. They shall be handed down to the next generation.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Decepticon13

Decepticon13 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Any peripheral characters I don't care that much about will stay. I started out looking at "just my favorite characters " but somehow went down the "completionist" rabbit hole, lol.

11. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Wei Jaing AoE Hound / Detective

12. Warpshard

Warpshard Well-Known Member

TFC's Hercules and Fansproject's Colossus set. They were both sets that I wanted so much when I was much younger, and despite them being very primitive figures by today's standards, I still love them.

• Like Like x 3
  13. ACMagnus

ACMagnus Phantom Thief

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    The MMC DJD members are never getting replaced to me.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Blair Bear Tokyo

Blair Bear Tokyo Well-Known Member

It would be difficult to replace Constructor, Sovereign, Grinder, and MP Megatron.

Sovereign and Grinder came out back to back. What a time to be alive.

15. Alph

Alph Well-Known Member

I think that the Fanstoys versions of Galvatron, Cyclonus, Skyfire, and Omega Supreme, the Maketoys version of Jazz, and Transform Element's version of Optimus Prime will always be my definitive versions, it's really hard to imagine anything significantly better, only things that improve certain areas while making compromises in other areas.

I expect I will keep Superator and Azalea even though I think they could eventually be replaced on my MP shelf. I could see someone making a super toon accurate Grimlock...hopefully Transform Element, I'd love to see their take on the character, something sturdy and clean, that looks like it stepped right out of the show. I also think we'll eventually get an Arcee that is more accurate than Azalea while being a better toy than Rouge, so Azalea will be demoted. Maybe I'll stick her on my desk at work or something.

16. halo4361

halo4361 Float like a butterfly, sting like a manta ray

I'm gonna second Zappit and say carnifex. He and the g1 upgrade kit are nothing short of a masterpiece. Another thing I'm gonna hold onto is that weijiang computron set. It took two and a half years to come out, and It certainly felt that long. I'm also not replacing my PE ginrai set, because they made ginrai go from a set that had a little too many compromises to absolute perfection. When I got everything combined into god ginrai it blew my mind.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Laserpants

Laserpants Well-Known Member

Most of my favourite 3p have no competition. Cross Dimensions is its own thing, and I doubt companies will fight to make the ultimate Pharaoh Sphinx, although they’re of course welcome to try.

MMC Tyrantron and the IF Legends Seekers will never be replaced, I’ll just add the newer versions.

18. Mick h

Mick h Fiery red head tfer

News Credits:
    Ft grimlock n snarl, cyclonus

Mmc wreckers/overlord

Maketoys megatron

19. stinkyshawn

stinkyshawn Well-Known Member

carnifex

• Like Like x 1
  20. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    With my Prime Wars figures being so superior to the D-listers of the current trilogy I've bought precious little of them, but I am loooking forward to the toys of the mainstays who are finally getting a chug toy, like Snapdragon, Quintessons, Doubledealer and Scorponok.