Where were you on September 11th, 2001?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Darthbane2007, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Chillyn

Chillyn Resist

I was going to art school. My roommate woke me up and said terrorists just flew a plane into the world Trade Center. Went to class and pretty much talked about what's going on and my teacher pleading with us to be smart and don't go around trying to beat up every middle eastern person you see. Haha that spooked me enough to cut my long beard. Even tho I'm not from the middle east my skin is dark and I wasn't trying to get jumped. Not like those kinds of people ask questions first.

Yea, crazy times. I watched a lot of news and people debating on what we're going to do about it. Basically opened up pandoras box for me being the political junkie I am today.

Thanks Osama.:banghead: 

I should have taken the blue pill.:sly: 

2. ByteBack

ByteBack Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I was at work. At the time, I was working at Core Design in the UK.

It was around mid-day in the UK when the attacks happened, and one of the animators on my team, came over to my desk to tell me. His girlfriend at the time was working for the BBC and she sent him a message straight away before the news broke. He knew that my girlfriend at the time was from NYC, but she had moved to NC (Jacksonville / Camp Lejune) a few months prior.

We quickly setup a TV and watched the news...and that's when the second plane hit. And then the towers fell.

After our bosses berated us for not working, most of us didn't really feel like working. I was especially struck by the attacks as I had been to NYC so many times, and loved the city, and so I often felt like I was a New Yorker by adoption. I remember leaving early that day (well...I didn't work late, which counts for early in the games industry) and trying to call my gf - but the lines were busy / down and it was about a week before we could talk.

3. Pudglor Shmormuff

Pudglor Shmormuff Well-Known Member

I was in school, and watched it on the classroom TV.

There was this kid behind me, and I won't name him, but he said something I'll never forget.

AS the towers fell, that asshole said, "BYEEEEEEE...."

We all looked back at him like: It's official, you have no soul....

What a douchebag...

4. IceMagnus

IceMagnus SSJIcey'95

News Credits:
    I was in kindergarten when it happened. We were sent home early that day.

5. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    A lot would share that sentiment. But unfortunately, it is a day we should never forget. Much like Pearl Harbor....and for many reasons.

Yeah...I hear ya. But that's how things go unfortunately. Even to this day, the sentiment still exists. As for the pandora's box, yeah...I kinda got into it myself shortly after that, but it was mainly due to a lot of unfounded theories that have been debunked that somehow...people still hold onto as "truths" to this day. As you can probably guess...it didn't take very long before I got out of that mess. I'm set to go to work tomorrow. I deal with a lot of veterans at my job, as well as active duty. For a lot of us...while we remember it, oddly in the years following that day, there were only a handful that have ever had any kind of a conversation about it with me. I get more of a conversation from those who weren't in. Sometimes I think back, and wonder what my life would have been like had it never happened.

• Like Like x 1
  6. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    At work in a distribution warehouse. Someone made the rounds telling us each what happened, and then an hour or so later the supervisor came out and said that everyone at both facilities was excused and to go home. I sat at home watching the coverage for a while, and then I started painting models. Any time I'm faced with a situation where I cannot affect the outcome, I find some coping action. Painting Warhammer was that.

• Like Like x 2
  7. optimusprime42

optimusprime42 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    I was living in Northern MN asleep with my ex-wife her friend called and woke us up

8. kazukun

kazukun HAACHAMACHAMA~

I was in my dorms when it happened: woke up to the news that a plane hit WTC; at first I thought it was a small plane. I only had one class, went to that class, but by the time it was over the campus was pretty empty (towers fell when I was in class) and all classes was canceled. Spend the rest of the day hanging out at the main hall where the TV were or looking at news on my laptop.

9. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Unlikeable dry-skinned biped

If I remember correctly, around that time I was working on completing my computer animation degree and had a part-time job at a software store, but I was off that day so I was sleeping late at my parents' place in Georgia. When I got up my dad was watching it unfold on TV. It was just surreal, like I was watching a movie, because you never see stuff like that happen in real life.

10. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    Never contributed to this thread despite being on this site for (8 YEARS now, wow), and that's mostly because I was entirely too young at the time to pinpoint where I was or what I was doing. But I do remember the moment this tragedy really hit me on a deep level and that was in my 12th grade History class. Throughout grade school it's the usual routine whenever it falls on this date. People casually mentioning "hey, its 9/11", "oh yeah" and people carry on. There's a page or two in the history books regarding it, albeit briefly, and we merely just acknowledge it as opposed to really going over it. But one 12th grade history class the teacher decided to run a documentary over the projector. Took up the whole class.

As you could imagine, some members of the class were keenly paying attention (such as me and my sister's friend who sat right next to me) and then there were those who would dose or be on their phone. Well through the whole documentary there was one and only one shot of a someone falling from the building. That was the shot that not only sent waves of sadness through me but also caused me to feel slightly choked up. It had the exact effect on my sister's friend too. I guess it was finally the emotional connection that came with becoming more mature and realizing souls such as the ones shown in these documentaries were absolutely, completely helpless. I couldn't imagine being in the middle of it all either as a bystander or even first responder.

May this day never be forgotten.

11. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime "Essential" Personnel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was sophmore in study hall. I got called to the office. My mom had called and wanted me to get a hold of my sister(email, we didn't have a pc at home). I remember sending the email saying to the effect of mom wants me to email you to make sure you're okay but I don't know why. Shortly after I hit send I saw what was happening on tv. What a crazy terrible accident! And then the second plane hit and it was no accident. She lived in New York at the time and told us later she turned down a job in one of the towers because the people were stuffy. I am so thankful I never had to see her name on the monument and yet my heart still aches for those whose names are there.

• Like Like x 2
  12. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    I was a junior in high school. My girlfriend's father at the time worked at the Pentagon. It was a trying few hours before she finally got home and saw that her father was alright.

13. Necromaster

Necromaster FEAR ME MORTALS

News Credits:
    I was six years old watching the news report from our old television set at home, unable to comprehend what was going on. All I knew was that people were scared and crying and it wasn't stopping.

14. jtwhoib

jtwhoib Protocol

Ebay:
    Getting up and getting ready to leave for work travel, and immediately cancelled those plans.

15. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Driving to my college, first learning about what happened when I started my commute ritual of listening to The Howard Stern Show. I think it was right after the second tower was struck, and I tuned in in the middle of their reactions, trying to piece together what was going on. I thought it was the beginning of some sort of invasion or war at first. I got my first viewings of it when I arrived and went to the school cafeteria which had a television set

16. OmarJT82

OmarJT82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It was in the morning, during my math class in my junior year of high school in Highland Park, IL. watching it unfold in disbelief on the classroom TV! :( 

17. OmarJT82

OmarJT82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The 17th anniversary of 9/11 comes to a close.

Remember.

• Like Like x 2
  18. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

I witnessed a conversation a long time ago of should the Twin Towers be edited out of movies made before 9/11/2001 like Ghostbusters, Ghostbusters 2, Coming to America, American Psycho, the first 3 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies and City Slickers.

As far as I know, this has not been done but I got to thinking if a post 9/11 movie was made with the story line taking place before 9/11 in New York when the towers still existed but not involved in the movie's story, should they not appear?

I prefer that they are in it and not edited from older movies.

• Like Like x 1
  19. ShinGi

ShinGi Well-Known Member

Here is article on that

September 11, 2001: Twin Towers in movies post-9/11

20. siccoyote

siccoyote Worst side of the fandom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If the film is set in a time when they are there they should be there, if they are set in a time when they aren't there they should not be there.

Anything else is stupid.

But then I love Uwe Boll's Postal.