Where were you on September 11th, 2001?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Darthbane2007, Sep 8, 2009.

1. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    I already posted here so I'll just quote my original post.

2. JaZzPrImE74

JaZzPrImE74 Sub to my YT Supreme J

News Credits:
    I wasnt even concieved yet.

3. optimusprime42

optimusprime42 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    I was living in deer river mn

4. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

Do you really have to revive this thread every year?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    No one's answer is gonna change.

Can we stop ripping off this band-aid already?

• Like Like x 2
  6. JaZzPrImE74

News Credits:
    Im sure there has been plenty of new members that have joined in a years time.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    You literally posted about how you weren't even born yet. This is a topic that does not need discussion 16 years after the fact simply for a bunch of people to say they weren't even born yet.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Devastator21

Devastator21 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    3 weeks to being born.

9. FanboyX

FanboyX is a real boy

In school senior year. Laughed when we heard a plane flew into a building. Then they turned on the tv. Then we saw the other plane hit, and we stopped laughing about it.

Good, bad, American, whatever. People died for nothing, and the murderous zealots responsible went up in flames while people at their jobs, and children, suffered hours and days in the wreckage.

It doesn't make me vengeful. It doesn't make me feel patriotic. It makes me nauseous.

• Like Like x 2
  10. JaZzPrImE74

News Credits:
    Im sure theres plenty new members that were already alive. Why not just ignore the thread?

11. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    I don't know how much more I can contribute to this thread 16 years later and all. I think I already posted in here once where I was, and what I was doing. Long story short, prepping for war. For whatever reason, we knew it was coming.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Well-Known Member

Well, it is a pretty big event in our nation's history...

13. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    But so was Pearl Harbor.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Darthbane2007

You are going somewhere with this?

15. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Because what point is it saying 'where were you' on a date almost two decades ago? The majority of the people in their 20s are going to say 'in class' because the crashes happened in the morning, people younger than that probably won't remember or outright haven't been born.

The majority of people that have contributed to this thread after you raised it from the dead again have ultimately just said "we weren't born yet." That's kind of pointless.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Darthbane2007

It was eerie seeing the same footage on every channel being played again and again...

17. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    I thought it was obvious where I was going. Pearl Harbor was no less a huge deal. 12/7/1941. How long did people take to move on from it and just live? It's almost been 76 years. I'm sure folks of that era moved on, but they never forgot. I'm sure they didn't have a yearly/annual remembrance of where they were. We who lived through it, knew where we were. Especially those of us who were wearing the uniform, and those of us who lost loved ones or where there at ground zero. Or perhaps those of us who lost fellow brethren and sisters in arms in the conflicts after it. Especially us. There has to be a point in time where we not only allow ourselves to heal from it, but also move on. Reviving this discussion year after year seems to lose its point each time. But maybe that's just me. Remember the past, but don't live in it.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    I personally see no harm in reviving the thread since the event in question is still pretty recent in the grand scheme of things and has had a lasting impact in how the world turned out to this day. That and many folks are still alive and can remember 9/11 and talking about it is part of the healing process.

How many folks are still alive that lived during the times to remember Pearl Harbor? People absolutely do mark the day and remember where they were during hugely important events like the Challenger explosion, or when the Berlin Wall came down, etc. It's only human to try to make that personal connection in an effort to sort out their emotions. Perhaps one day the world will age out enough to leave 9/11 in the past but I don't think that day has come quite yet.

If folks aren't interested in remembering the event, then I have to ask why even bother to open up this thread much less take the time and effort to comment or try to shut down others from talking about remembrance? This type of behavior raises my eyebrow more than anything else.

Speaking as both a native New Yorker (who lived in Brooklyn when 9/11 happened) and an active duty military member, the event is still pretty fresh in my mind (and has had a big influence in my deciding to join up). It was terrible and it changed everything in my life (for better or worse). I won't repost what I did before, but I'll just say that I was a dumb kid in college then and I'd like to think 9/11 helped me mature all the faster by making me realize that the world is a big place and we're all connected.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    For me, it's not about shutting the conversation down. But sometimes, when all that's already been said has been said, what more can be said? Fresh perspectives would be interesting I guess. I know not everyone posts in this thread, but I do know there are a lot of stories out there. Some commentary just doesn't contribute, and I think that's why some may be a little annoyed with it. It'd be like me saying "Hey man! I wasn't even born yet!" in a Pearl Harbor remembrance discussion. I think it'd be different if I were to ask those survivors what it was like instead. However, of the few I was lucky enough to ask, they didn't really seem interested in talking too much about it. They always ended up in tears...as if my asking served to be nothing more than re-opening a wound they had tried so hard to close. Still, it wasn't a good time for anyone. Yes, we do mark the day on the calendar to remember. Hell I remember being late for school while watching the shuttle Challenger explode live on tv. But when I went to school that day, life went on. We still learned, we still had homework. Sure, we talked about it, but we were children so we didn't know what to make of our feelings. It seemed to have affected our teachers more because one of the persons killed, was also a teacher. All in all, we kids were made to realize...life goes on. We had things we had to do, books we had to read, classes to pass. A grade to move up, etc etc. We had to move on. 9/11? We prepared for war. We deployed. We were away from our families. In some ways, we still are. But for those of us fortunate to not have to participate in any way shape or form in that conflict anymore, we have to move on. Or...try our best to do so. For those directly affected by any tragic incident, yeah, there's going to be that emotional trauma. It will take time to heal. Some will take longer than others.

I still remember 9/11/2001 as if it was still fresh in my mind too, but you know what though? I choose not to talk too much about it. Why? In part, there are other things happening currently that's weighing more on my mind. Can't post about it here because of the rules, but...it is what it is. 9/11 about 5 years after became just another day for me until I met a friend who's birthday is coincidentally on 9/11. The other part? For me, it's now 2 days from it being 16 years. The emotions I felt then, I can remember now. But it's just another day, because Monday is not that day. It's not 2001. It's 2017. For me, I feel it's well past the time for me to move on from it. I'm sure those who I've lost, and for those who have also lost...our loved ones, the ones we cared about most, would want us to move on and live as happily as we can. I guess what I'm trying to say is, talking about it is not a bad thing. If people still need to heal after 16 years, no one can put that down. We each deal with things in our own way, but we gotta try to move on (if we haven't already). However, making innane commentary doesn't help. Just as it would be right to question those motives to try to shut down the conversation, it can also be right to question commentary that would serve to be nothing more than postwhoring.

• Like Like x 6
  20. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    You may not be necessarily want to shut down the conversation but others with callous, snarky comments like "ripping off this bandaid" does sound like it to me. Telling people how to grieve, when to grieve, or just to stop grieving altogether because people don't want to hear it anymore, wow, talk about lacking any semblance of empathy.

And my answer to that is, then don't bother coming into this thread and posting if it bothers you so much. Ignore it. It's just that simple. No one is holding a gun to anyone's head to force them to open up and read this thread. As to keeping the thread open, that's really up to the mods' discretion.

New forum members register and join TWF all the time so there could well be more personal stories to tell regarding the events of 9/11. I don't see any reason to close this thread. If others want to continue contributing, then let them contribute. I see no harm in it as long as things stay on topic (and don't violate TOS). Posting reductionist shit like "ripping off this bandaid" (so edgy...) doesn't seem like staying on topic to me.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 1