Where The Bayverse failed its antagonists

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Nathanoraptor, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

Except it totally does. Defending those who have defended you is an honorable thing to do. Just because they don't use that specific word to describe their conduct toward one another before the Lockdown fight, it doesn't mean they can't use it after Prime saves Cade from Lockdown. I don't need to hear the same word repeated over and over gain to get the picture. And Prime saying it merely re-affirms how they both have protected each other.

Now if Prime were on some alien world with no humans or Autobots or others to protect, and he was just randomly slaying Decepticons or bounty hunters just because, and he randomly spouts, "Honor 'till the end," then it would be bizarre no doubt. But in the context of saving Cade, who helped repair Prime and hide from Cemetery Wind as well as helped spy on KSI, the line makes sense.

I'd also like to say that Prime's speech before leaving Earth tells the Autobots to defend the Yeagers as they have defended the Autobots.

Exactly, and he did that without them even noticing, even though Joshua Joyce expressed frustration with why he didn't have control over Galvatron, to the point even his appearance wasn't what KSI wanted. Not to mention how Galvatron hacks into dozens of other robots in China.

And Soundwave and Laserbeak fiddled around with N.A.S.A. It seems like there was plenty of Decepticon manipulation of humans and their technology post-2007.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Which does raise the question of what exactly those two dingleberries had been doing since the 1960s since if Soundwave can hack government stuff, why the hell hadn't he ever done that to learn about S7 sooner as opposed to Blackout having to go out into the middle of the desert to do Soundwave's damn job?

And then there's the Beagle 2 problem. If the Decepticons had such massive influence within NASA (which TF07 establishes was the organization that handled the Beagle 2, though in real life that was the European Space Agency's mission), HOW exactly did they fail to intercept that footage of Blackout crushing the lander? Given the whole point of their involvement with NASA was to prevent exactly that kind of material from being found, it seems like Soundwave kind of sucks at his job.

• Like Like x 3
  3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    But you don't just say it so randomly and in such vague terms.

It's hard to describe exactly why the line is so inhuman sounding, but it just doesn't make sense. It's a weird thing to say at a weird moment.

Literally no one except you two have ever defended this line that I've seen, as even people who like the movie feel it's weird and misplaced.

I meant before, when Frenzy was hacking Airforce One the only way to stop him was to disable the defense network. Then the Decepticons took everything down later.

With bugs? Humans were building a robot anyway, Megatron just kept messing with the design, which was actually dumb of him since he could've just changed that later, he only delayed his own new body's creation by forcing the humans to scrap them and keep making new ones.

But they did so with all the grace and subtlety of a mob hit. There was no technological superiority there, and they were so sloppy Jerry was able to slip Sam classified documents.

Yeah, I mentioned that (he listened to Galloway's conversation with Prime) and it's the last technological maneuver they try.

It's almost like the whole story is a stupid mess of shit?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    This is why I find the notion that Megatron is some kind of super genius entirely laughable, because with each successive film what he was doing becomes needlessly more complex, based on information he couldn't possibly have known, and above all else entirely self defeating.

Because as of AoE, somehow we're supposed to believe the following:
    - Megatron has conspired with Sentinel to go enslave the Earthlings as a slave labor force...before any of them knew Earth existed and before the AllSpark ever leaves Cybertron, rendering the entire point of Sentinel's enslavement mission pointless AND Megatron has no reason to go to Earth since the first film explicitly states Megatron flew off to get the AllSpark after it was ejected into deep space and he only got frozen in ice because Earth's magnetic field screwed up his telemetry systems.
    - Megatron has planned to use the Sun Harvester with The Fallen to create Energon to fuel a new Decepticon army (even though he never seems to run out of bodies to throw at the Autobots), which would result in the destruction of the Sun and thus the extinction of humanity...which renders the entire point of Sentinel's mission pointless. Which would probably piss him off and as a Prime, he could totally kill Fallen, thus sabatoging everything Megatron is going for, whatever that is, because Sentinel can kick Megatron's ass too. Counterpoint to this is that Sentinel can't be revived without the Matrix, meaning Sentinel is not an issue...but then that breaks DOTM because that entire plan revolved around Prime getting the Matrix (which there is no way Megatron or Fallen could have known was stupidly on the same fucking planet since Fallen got thrown into the Superman II style alternate dimension prison before The First Primes made a prison from their bodies for no apparent reason instead of, y'know, just moving it farther away like to the Andromeda system) meaning the entire plot of DOTM shouldn't have happened couldn't have predicted either the Ark crashing on the moon in the 1950s since Megatron originally was to have just grabbed the AllSpark and gotten back to Cybertron)
    - Megatron wants the AllSpark to raise a new Decepticon army from Earth's machines...even though there's an entire Decepticon army and battleships just waiting on the moon which he doesn't even use during the events of ROTF.
    - Megatron has somehow planned not only for his own repeated failure and death nearly three times over, but that a species he doesn't even know exists will rebuild him (by ripping off Binaltech Battle Ravage's backstory almost entirely verbaitim, save for the Beast Wars stuff and excising the whole 'Ravage has himself literally shoved up his own butt' part) so he can manipulate them into giving him 'The Seed' which they got from a guy Megatron doesn't even know exists until AoE, whereupon he'll repeat the plan of G1 Megatron from Dreamwave comics G1 Vol.1 AND the G1 episodes Key to Vector Sigma. At which point he still won't really have anyting to do because Cybertron at the time was lost after the events of DOTM, he has no way to get off planet, and without Energon there's no point in raising a new army because apparently everybody forgot the entire point of why the Sun Harvester back in ROTF actually existed to do in the first place.

And all the while, you have a planet literally crawling with robots since the middle ages who couldn't figure out their boss was inside the frozen cap of the world, that the AllSpark was inside Hoover Dam, or that Transformium was even a thing on the planet. To this I have to ask what the hell was the point of Jetfire when TLK straight up says you have old-ass robots still active during all those times? This is just a further condemnation of the writing schlock that was the Transformers writing because this would have been perfect to tie back to all the nonsense about Ancient Primes and shit back in ROTF and Simmons' Conspiracy Bunker.

But nope. That didn't happen, because the writers just didn't give a damn.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    Hit the nail right on the head.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Prime Red

Prime Red Banned

I guess we are just going to have to argree to disagree on this, and I hate that phrase but there's real no right or wrong here. Just preference.

He was the one who was giving them the information to build the robots, they got the information from Megatron. They never said that they scrapped the previous versions because they didn't like the way they look.

Maybe. We don't entirely know how he got the documents, and there's more than one way to get classified information. They did get away with it for 40 some odd years. As far as "grace and subtlety, that's not really a Decepticon thing back to G1. These are the guys who brought their entire planet to Earth after all.

7. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

Except Soundwave's focus, story-wise, was on keeping the Ark thing a secret. Soundwave may specialize in espionage, but that doesn't mean he will automatically be aware of every communication on Earth or Cybertron at all times.

There are many thousands of languages and cultures on Planet Earth, many are which are endangered. These different languages and cultures affect how people think. What may sound "inhuman" to one person may seem perfectly reasonable to a person in a different culture.

And this doesn't even account for interpersonal differences within a culture. We don't all think the same. We don't all follow the same philosophies or have the same worldviews. What is honorable in one culture may not be honorable in another. I, a human being who lives in the United States of America, can't look at some rainforest tribe in the Amazon or the highlands of New Guinea, look at their philosophies and values and how they use language, and say, "Wow, these people language usage and conduct is completely inhuman!" because it's still within the mosaic of humanity.

People don't have to like the line, but it's not "inhuman." A human being wrote that line. A human being recorded it. It's perfectly within human nature and character. I have never watched a movie or read a book that I felt was "inhuman," because it's ALL very much human.

Because I'm describing it and not judging it. That line ALWAYS made sense to me in context from the first time I watched the film.

Which they only knew how to do from Megatron feeding them the information to begin with. The humans didn't just start building their own robots by themselves with no Cybertronian input. On the contrary, they were only able to do it because of Megatron's input.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Minibots

Minibots Greetings

In my opinion where Bays Transformers failed its adversaries altogether was Megatron. Other than the first movie he is frequently being someone’s bitch and it’s even spoken of by Carly near the end of DOTM. The best example of Megatron being a total loser was how Sentinel treated him like utter shit on top of the building in DOTM and Sentinel got away with it. In ROTF the only significant thing Megatron accomplished was kill Optimus. (Megatron only successfully did this by snatching Optimus by surprise.) Other than that he was seemingly in the shadow of the Fallen during the whole run of the movie and accepted his commands. I can provide more examples but I don't need to clog up this thread. I believe this interpretation of Megatron is exceedingly inferior to other interpretations and the way he is treated in DOTM is the perfect representation of him existing as someone's bitch.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I would've laughed hysterically if Megs just shoved him off and Sentinel had to climb all the way back up.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Nathanoraptor

Nathanoraptor Well-Known Member

The average Autobot screaming "LET'S KILL 'EM" or "I've been itching to kill something" is bad-fucking-ass when one is a sugar-hyped twelve-year-old boy; it's disturbing when one is searching for films that one could show one's seven-year-old (female) cousin (well, technically second cousin) the night before one is going to be babysitting.

Full story; I was going to show her a Bayverse movie (I think it was ROTF; yup, I'm stupid) in order to introduce her to the franchise; however, it was this sort of shit that made me nix that idea relatively quickly. If I'm watching a film with a seven-year-old, I don't want the heroes screaming "LET'S GO KILL THEM!", before decapitating, mutilating and... whatever word exists for ripping out someone's spine through their body.

And, as @Hanzkaz stated, in films that are so full of gross, brainless toilet humour and horrific violence, parents (even adult fans) are going to go for other, child-friendly options. Aside from the always-reliable Disney/Pixar, with the rise of the MCU and the Star Wars sequel trilogy, they got those options.