Where did it go wrong? Bad directing or poor script?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by MachiniPrimus, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Bad editing I'd say.

2. Sentinel Prime1

Sentinel Prime1 Active Member

Paramount has a say in it. This is their "Harry Potter/LotR-Hobbit" cash cow. It's been producing the cash and looks to again. For better or worse, there will be some caution to mess with something that doesn't appear financially broken.

They put a lot a money at risk and tie up their studio with movie productions so it's hard to begrudge them on the issue. I think Bey and Kruger could do better as I think there were some strong elements in this latest movie but I think there is drive to appeal to the 12-25 year old male demographic, not just in the US but world wide that colors the effort with hot girl, short shorts, corny humor that appeals to the pure popcorn crowd.

I think they could take a risk but when this movie is said and done these things are going to have around a 900 million to 1 billion average over the franchise. From a Paramount perspective, it appears to be a formula that it tried and true.

3. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    4 points.
    - Editing
    - Writing
    - Directing
    - Steven Spielberg lol

There is some cuts in the film unnecessary that disrupts some flow in the film.

I remember when ROTF is getting the hot flame of hate due to toilet humor and racist jokes, Bob and Alex said it is not on their control and they pointed fingers on who has the upper hand meaning Michael Bay.

Kruger, not the one from the Elm Street. Needs some help.

I like some of Bay's work like Bad Boys 2. I have yet to watch Pain & Gain.
    There is something in movies like this that's rich in CGI Effects that taken over Bay's focus too much leaving other more important factors in story telling least in their priorities. Hence going for "Visuals, Spectacle and Ride".He can still tell a good story i think but maybe not for TF films. He learned something about story telling in film school. Give him a film not 90% made of CGI effects then we can judge him from there.

Steven Spielberg.
    Didn't he just said since the TFTM that "Only Bay can direct a TF film" or something like that? Yup, i'm including the good Steven Spielberg in the blame list too (partially)

4. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    That's a bit too much.

The only film in my opinion that had a lot of problems was ROTF. During the production process Shia almost lost his hand in an accident and there was that a writers strike.

Because of the incomplete script a lot of silly scenes were improvised to help the movie entertain but it actually hurt the film a lot.

The new movie, Age of Extinction is a grand improvement from both TF1 and DOTM. I enjoyed it tons and I'm glad it's finally what it's supposed to feel like, a dark and serious movie.

There were way too many ideas for the second film that could have been saved for future films. For example, someone posted that the Fallen should've been saved for a future film and I agree. The Fallen is supposed to be the strongest of all Decepticons so having him in ROTF was not needed.

5. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Yeah, he was supposed to be one of the biggest bad guys of the TFverse, after Unicron. They brought him in too early, and killed him off too early. He should have been saved for the later movies.

I wouldn't mind Unicron turning up and resurrecting him. He'd make an ideal representative for the Planet Eater. Imagine Unicron talking to the other characters through a guy without a face.

6. JoshimusPrime20

JoshimusPrime20 Autobot

News Credits:
    Did Ehren Kruger work on Transformers Prime? I forgot :banghead: 

7. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

if you are asking about the official reviews, aka newspapers and what not. most are complaining about the runtime. actually. so i'd say neither. it's mr. bay's editor who needs to be fired.

8. Scorpio

Scorpio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Writer, Director, Editor, Cast and CGI team.

No matter how much an editor tries and trims it - the director will get final say.

9. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

not true.

studio gets the final say.

10. deathzero23

News Credits:
    I understand the long run time. 2 hours is the maximum attention span a human brain focus on a single object.

But... Bat-Nolan films and Cameron-Titanic go beyond 2 hour and i think nobody complained about it. I think Lord Of The Rings go beyond 2 hours too at some point.

11. Losty

Losty Well-Known Member

Well apart from EVERYTHING above...here is what was wrong with it...

Shit acting and humans playing a massive part in a movie about Robots....fuck the humans just let the Robots do their thang...
    People have loved this shit for 25+ years because they come for Robots with personality's, that's what makes us love them...that's what makes us attached... I'm not attached to these movie bots at all... esp in the latest movie

2 bad guys...Lockdown and Galvertron...if there where other bad guys I didnt notice them or they did fuck all....
    A good movie eg Kill Bill has a good crew of Villains for us to love to hate...this movie had two losers...who lost

Not really explaining ANYTHING AGAIN....You know why Star Wars, Xmen or Game of Thrones has such die hard fans, cause there are rules to the Universe, cannon, Lore, what does this movie have? A bunch of random shit that happens for NO REAL REASON! fUCKKKK!
    Instead of the humans talking stupid all movie how about getting them to ask the questions we all want to know, create and explain a Universe with lore, cannon and rules and make us get entrenched and attached to it, trust me you will sell more toys this way, more tshirts and people will like your movie.
    GIJOE 2 was the same fucking mess as this movie, with an inbuilt fan bass, massive budget and sooooo much back story to draw from its a shame...a fucking shame that this is the best slop they could serve us...

I want you to make me want to give you my money...but sorry the ticket is all you get from this rubbish...

ps why did Optimus fly?

12. JoeHavok

JoeHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Even though overall I liked the movie. I hated the scenes with Cade's daughter. You have to blame the script. But, also the director. The movie was over 2.5 hours long. And it's the directors responsibility to edit scenes that just don't work, or don't fit. So what happened?
    Usually I'm with Michael Bay, but not on this one. He could have made the best Transforners yet, with some better editing to trim the lame scenes. But, now were just left with mediocre.

Fan edit on AOE for me would have almost all of Cade's daughters scenes deleted.

13. RazorX3000

RazorX3000 Cybertronian Monkey

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

15. Wolf

Wolf old school bot

Always poor scripting.....you do not get to direct a franchise raking in over a billion worldwide multiple times over and not be able to follow and interpret a script....i believe kreuger is good and hasn't had chance to fully be appreciated but his time is running out unless he pulls it out the bag, as the whole franchise as a live action movie was to piggy back the coming marvel endeavour, which it has done admirably however now its reached that tipping point of where to go next and time is not on their side considering how long it takes to create a transformers movie and there is always the possibility things stagnate when using the same person to write the movie

16. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    All those movies have plots that justify their length (except arguably Titanic) and no action scenes that go on for an hour.

17. deathzero23

News Credits:
    ^yeah.. those two films ran also beyond 2 hours.. I guess it's really the story telling where viewers are hooked up and engaged. Heck, even the mind-boggling Inception by Nolan ran 2.5 hours.

Sadly after TFTM, story telling went kaput.

18. Toadalinakong

Toadalinakong Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    the directing has improved really while the script is just sorta screw all

19. Goldenclaw55

Goldenclaw55 Combaticon

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

20. Ring3r

Ring3r Knows what else it can do.

Crappy fanbase.