Where did it go wrong? Bad directing or poor script?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by MachiniPrimus, Jul 2, 2014.

1. MachiniPrimus

MachiniPrimus Well-Known Member

So as we all know, Transformers AOE is being criticised for bad scripting and acting. This got me thinking, what went wrong, was it Michael Bay being a poor director, or have we been directing hate towards the wrong person? What if the problem with Bay's films is just that he has bad luck when it comes to scriptwriters? Or is it a combination of both?

Post comments on what you think is the problem, Bay, screenwriters or both and maybe give an explanation if you want.

2. RazorX3000

RazorX3000 Cybertronian Monkey

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's the writer...... Ehren Kruger.....

3. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator

News Credits:
    Writing and editing.

I don't know the process of it all, but if Bay is in control of his writers and editors, then Bay.

That's coming from someone who adores these movies.

4. BluRayHiDef

BluRayHiDef Well-Known Member

Ehren "Buffoon" Kruger should be skinned and submerged in salt...alive!

5. RazorX3000

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh GOD! Holy shiz man! That would burn so bad!

6. Jerrymiru

Jerrymiru TF Ninja

Bay it the end of it all. Too many sub plot and red herrings. Screenplay was bad, editing was bad, effects were not that great, and product placement was REALLY bad. Was on board for the first 30 mins and then, just too much going on all at once and stuff that just made no sense. Granted to his credit he did have other projects going on at the same time and was very likely had a deadline to make I'm sure. But he is a proffessional and should have made sure to put out a better effort.

But after seeing this... It will take something big to draw me into the next movie. And I liked 1 and 3 for what they are. This one was just sloppy. Even looking at it just as a movie and switching off my fandom side.

7. OptimusJet

OptimusJet One with the Matrix

News Credits:
    The Writing and Editing are the main issues IMO.

8. moylan55

moylan55 Well-Known Member

I don't think there's anything wrong really. I think it's more a case of people going in not understanding the material or having unrealistic expectations.

9. Minh'T

Minh'T Descendant of Primus

Facebook:
    I'm not among the hatter but i have to say, they need a new writer

10. RazorX3000

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What? Yes they were!

11. OptimusJet

OptimusJet One with the Matrix

News Credits:
    May I ask what effects you are talking about?.. A small amount of Critics have said this also, but they never actually explained what they disliked about it. I've watched the movie 4 times now and can't really see anything to dislike about the Effects?!

12. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

Writing.
    They pull two plot elements out of nowhere and expected audiences to understand... I loved the movie, but that shit still felt contrived... I'll be honest, some of the CG Work was shittacular, too. The sequence about three-quarters of the way through where the scientist is playing with the Transformium and turning a Rainbow Dash baloon into an Assault Rifle was awful CG as was the closeup shot of Brains while he explained just how screwed our heroes were.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  13. Cro

Cro Well-Known Member

Quite frankly, I consider it leagues above what we were offered before now.

14. Natohk

Natohk Quintesson

Writing and editing.

15. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

I'm going with all of the above. Really bad writing, bad editing, bad decision making, and massive amounts of Bay brainfarts. Although, the aesthetics were good. I also think th Bay version of Transformers is staling. I'm hoping AOE ends up being what Bay said it is, a stand-alone. That leaves the door wide open for a new director and writing team to come in with a fresh,new vision of Transformers (keeping the current robot designs, since they are now very recognizable).

16. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Looking at Bay's other films it seems that story teller just isn't one of his strong points as a film maker. When people remember the Bay films they tend to think of something visual rather than something that sticks as great story telling.

Even with the actors it seems like Bay kind of needs those actors who overflow with natural charisma and have an over the top personality. Will Smith and Martin Lawrence tend to stand out as characters from Bay films that people generally like but the actors with less charisma seem either eh to people just hating the characters.

Although from all the summaries I've read of the movie we certainly can't let the writer off from any blame. With Bay not being a strong story teller in the first place it certainly isn't going to help things if he doesn't have a good script to translate from written word to moving picture.

17. Jerrymiru

Jerrymiru TF Ninja

The bots were fine, but you only see Lockdown transform like once and all the other times they did the cheap off screen transformation. Which is part of why you go to see it in the first place. And not once did you see Crosshairs and Hound transform. Drift only a couple times but never into car mode. In most of the cases they just appeared in other modes after a shot cut.

Then there is the vehicons and Galvatron. The transformation into the little spheres and what-not was REALLY dated and just did not make sense and look good. That is a much cheaper way of doing the transmations as well sense it is a just a simple shape. I'm all for them cutting some cost here and there but not like that. You can even see it not match up well when people interact with it. Example with the scientist holding onto the "pony" and then it switchs to a gun. You can very clearly tell it's not there.

Though it was all not bad in certain scenes, but you could tell in the rest and it just kept pulling me out of the film.

Don't get me wrong though, not hating it. Just disappointed with what it turned out to be.

18. JasonPrime

JasonPrime Well-Known Member

I can't help but think this is a little bit extreme. But maybe that's just me...

19. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I'm not ready to write off Krueger just yet;
    but I think this film was poorly edited.

20. demonoid111

demonoid111 Destron

The writers are more responsible than Bay when it comes to plot.