When would you say IDW jumped the shark ?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by AtomicGarden, Jul 8, 2021.

1. AtomicGarden

AtomicGarden Well-Known Member

When I started to come back here after many years away (got back into collecting with WFC), I was surprised how much backlash there was toward the IDW comics, since I thought it was pretty much acclaimed. I loved it myself. I avoided the comic section and spoilers, because I’m behind by a few years. I like to read physical, and since the IDW collections are expensive, I get one once in a while or when the price drops.

Anyway, so I just finished volume 6 of Phase 2 and...well I guess I undertsand now. Can’t say I 100% hated it, but there was a bunch of stupid stuff. Prowl with the Constructions, Ultra Magnus being a mantle, Megatron calling BB his friend and joining the Autobots, Dark Cybertron in general, Cyclonus and Tailgate ? Not sure if I should get the other phase 2 volumes, does it get better again ? Where would you say IDW jumped the shark and got bad ?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Jalaguy

Jalaguy has no known physical weaknesses

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    I mean, personally, I would say that IDW never jumped the shark and got bad, and that the "Phase 2" era represented the peak of its output! The full RID/OP run and MTMTE up to about issue #40 are genuinely my all-time favourite Transformers stories.

If you didn't vibe with the first "season 1" of Phase 2 (i.e. up to Dark Cybertron), though, the subsequent material probably isn't going to change your mind - the rest of the original IDW run continues under the same writers, furthering the same stories, so there aren't any more big changes in content/tone/etc. coming up.

• Like Like x 8
  3. Galvatron1998

Galvatron1998 Maximal

News Credits:
    I've got a complicated relationship with IDW 1.0. I enjoyed the earlier Furman stuff and bits of Phase Two but aside from that the continuity doesn't do much for me personally. While it didn't necessarily become bad in Phase Two (there's a lot of good stuff that came from it) a lot of it was far too cynical for my tastes. If I had to pinpoint a "jump the shark" moment it'd probably be when Megatron became an Autobot (of all characters to get a redemption arc I feel Megatron is the least deserving).

• Like Like x 5
  4. AtomicGarden

AtomicGarden Well-Known Member

I really liked the beginning of phase 2 actually, more so than phase 1 even. Volume 1-4 was amazing, but yeah, like I said around 5 and mostly 6, I didn’t like where it was going.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Those are good issues compared to what we are getting currently.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    As for the question, I’d say cancelling IDW1 and starting IDW2.

• Like Like x 6
  7. Cliffjumper

Cliffjumper green

News Credits:
    I think IDW jumped the shark when they did revelations. It was so awful they had to reboot the comics.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    There are several points. But the last one was when they had mask and whoever crossover. Although ROM was one of the best stories. The Optimus Prime book was a downer and the Unicron book a bad ending. The first bad decision was taking Simon Furman off the book and cutting revelation short. Second was the infestation crossover, third dark cybertron crossover. And so on.

that was the final straw, yup. The perfect jumping off point.

Back in the day I was so hooked to MTMTE that I bought the RID issues to past the time until the next issue, although RID was a complete snore fest.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  9. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Everyone's view of jumping the shark is different but if I saw something that I thought would be jumping the shark, I'd probalby not be surprised

10. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    I would have preferred Ruckley to have continued on from the end of Optimus Prime and Lost Light instead of cancelling them. Of course it wouldn't be the same story we are getting but it would be more preferable. What would have actually been preferable is if Optimus Prime and Lost Light were never cancelled.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would say it's between "Shockwave did it" and Rung being Primus.

• Like Like x 10
  12. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you mean "when did you stop enjoying it as much", then definitely when they tried to shove into the story all of those crossovers into different Hasbro properties and around the same time Lost Light went full "James Roberts Self Indulgence". But I wouldn't say it ever got so bad I couldn't enjoy it anymore, it just went from a 10/10 to a less consistent enjoyment for me.

• Like Like x 7
  13. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Zenryoku zenkai!

News Credits:
    Is "I don't think it has" an okay answer?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    I'll still take self indulgence over tediously dull.

• Like Like x 2
  15. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you are already familiar with the kind of writer James Roberts is due to already having read a fair amount of indie british comics then the self indulgence IS tediously dull.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TheSuperion

TheSuperion Harold, They're Lesbians.

Revolution and the wider Hasbroverse shit, barring a few solid titles like Revolutionaries and ROM Vs Transformers. Jumped the shark so bad it killed the entire continuity. Nobody cares about M.A.S.K or Visionaries - and hamstringing the Transformers comics by mandating crossovers with dead IPs, was never going to end well.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Not in the tediously dull way Ruckley is writing. I have never once felt disdain towards Roberts the same way I feel towards Ruckley. I genuinely looked forward to all of MTMTE and Lost Light. There were a few dumb and not so good issues, but it kept my interest throughout. Even the Personality Ticks and Swearth issues were more enjoyable to me than the best of Ruckley's run. And none of Ruckley's comics stand out to me as being above average or memorable.

• Like Like x 2
  18. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't have the opinion that something is good because something worse exists. I can find fault in both Ruckley and Roberts for different reasons,

• Like Like x 1
  19. Shady boi

Shady boi Banned

Ebay:
    Post Infiltration.

20. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    Probably around the time Autobot Megatron became a thing and it was being taken seriously, if not before.

Dark Cybertron in general was like the ramp that leads up to the pit filled with sharks.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 3