When will you accept a new name?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Snaptrap, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Snaptrap

Snaptrap Field Commander

Over the years, Hasbro and Takara Tomy have lost a number of trademarks, necessitating a new name for a number of their iconic (and not so iconic) creations. In some cases, they deliberately changed a name due to connotations specific to another English-speaking market. Although they have gotten some patents back, and have used prefixes when necessarily, my question to you would be, should Transformers adopt a new name for a character, and continually use it in their toys, comics, cartoons, films, and what have you, at what stage will you accept it? I’ve listed some examples below for references.

Bluestreak (Silverstreak), Hot Rod (Hot Rodimus), Outback (Fallback), Shockwave (Shockblast), Sideswipe (Side Swipe), Slag (Slug), Trailbreaker (Trailcutter), and an Ark load of prefixed characters.

2. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Depends on how much I care about the character. If I never knew the guy before I really wouldn't care if his name was changed; contraire-wise if it's someone I know and love I'd naturally default on the old name since it's the one I'm used to (and pray I never run into any of those ridiculously anal people that INSIST on everyone calling a character their "correct" name).

Prefixes are always disregarded, and I rarely even notice different parsings.

3. unchained5150

unchained5150 Time to Disappear.

Pretty much exactly this. If I've grown to know a character by one name and for whatever reason a name change happens, I'll still refer to it as the name I'm most familiar with. We do it with the third-party world, why should official channels be any different?

4. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I honestly don't care if their name is changed for trademark reasons. As long as it looks like the character. There are third party toys with ridiculous stupid ass names but I always just call it the official original name.

5. Teletran 2

Teletran 2 I'm cyber and you know it

You made me think about TF armada Laserbeak XDD

What kind of ridiculous design was that?

6. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    First, Shockwave was recovered; hence it's usage for the last few years.

Secondly, for those names above, likely never. It's a bit weird, but I refuse to accept them as the names for the original characters. Some others, like Rodimus being used instead of Hot Rod, I don't mind a bit. Nor do I mind the "Autobot X" attachment.

7. Snaptrap

Snaptrap Field Commander

I should probably clarify that this was based upon the idea that the new name became prevalent. I’ll use Bulkhead in a hypothetical.

In 2008, Bulkhead began appearing in the Transformers: Animated cartoon, comics, and on the toy shelves. He’s since appeared in the Shattered Glass universe, Aligned universe, and even got a toy in the Dark of the Moon line. But in this hypothetical, what if were clearly intended to be Hardhead in terms of personality and appearance. Bulkhead was just a new name for him, like Trailcutter is to Trailbreaker?

If Hasbro and Takara Tomy decided to make the name change permanent, or as permanent as these things get, would you insist on calling him Hardhead, or at what point would you accept the new name?

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Unless it's something utterly ridiculous, I'll accept any name changes. Names are names, and are easily changed. As someone who knows of trademarks and the like it's easier for me to understand when someone's name has to be changed.

It was a role play toy of a drone character. I don't get what was so weird. Unless you mean the name Laserbeak? In which case, well, that really is just a name. I mean it's a bird where the "beak" becomes the barrel of teh "laser" gun. Boom.

9. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I accept any name change. It's petty to be hung up on something like that.
    It's done for obvious reasons - if they could've still used the old names they would've.

Can't accept Trailbreaker is now Trailcutter? Call him Trailbreaker.

10. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I do.

I call characters what Hasbro called the toy. Though I disagree with Universe Octane called Tankor and Bot Shot Wildrider as Break-Neck.

11. daddytron

daddytron Made of too much clear plastic

I just ignore the new names and call them who they are supposed to be. Do it with 3rd Party figs partially as well. So if "accepting the new name" means using it, then probably never. Without venom towards the new name, just my choice to call my toys whatever the hell I want!

12. Sideways77

Sideways77 #1 flareup simp

News Credits:
    It doesn't matter to me. As long as the name is close to the origional.

Hence why Bombshell should've been renamed Bombshock instead of Hardshell.

13. Galvatron Rage

Galvatron Rage Question Authority

Well, I don't really "accept" any of the name changes. I just...well...

...do this. ^^^

The name changes ARE annoying, but I don't get too cranked up over it. Unless the name is changed because of some PC crap.

I'm talking to you Slag, Bombshell, and Shrapnel!:D 

14. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Slag isn't "PC crap." That's like saying "Autobot Whoreface" is an un-PC name. The word means something else in other parts of the world.

15. Galvatron Rage

Yes...it is. Maybe not where YOU are, but here it is.

I understand that they won't use "Slag" in the UK (where you are) - and I totally understand that. But here? It means (basically) "waste metal" here, which fits a Dinobot quite well and was Hasbro's intention, I'm guessing, when they named him.

16. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

as long as Continuity hasn't otherwise created another character of a similar name (Meister Comes to mind) I'm okay.

17. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    But you see, Transformers doesn't exist in just the US.

18. Galvatron Rage

Hahaha, REALLY?

I'm not trying to argue with ya, Split. I just think they could use different names for different markets like they do for other figures like Convoy vs. Optimus Prime (and many other figures I can't think of right now...).

Leave the US TF names alone, I say. Slag isn't offensive here, so keep the darn name "Slag".

Now Bombshell and Shrapnel? That's a whole other argument. I don't wanna get into that. I rant enough as it is, lol.

19. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

I "accept" them by ignoring whatever Hasbro changed the name to and referring to it by whatever name I wish to. Slag will never be "Slug" in my mind. Hardshell is ok because (at least in Prime) because he is nothing like Bombshell. Now, a character that is clearly meant to be Bombshell... gets called Bombshell. And so on.

20. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Pinterest:
    This