When will the war begin?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by TFFan01, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Don't forget the IDW Gobots comic. :D 

• Like Like x 1
  2. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Come on, that's like saying there's a 3rd Star Wars trilogy...

• Like Like x 3
  3. misfire19d

misfire19d Uniquely-minded Transformers fan.

I like myself way too much to read that horrid rag.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TeamOptimus

TeamOptimus Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don’t mind this type of story either. In fact, I’d rather see pre war intrigue that delves into peaceful Cybertron, relations with the colonies, how the robots feel about organics, Orion’s friendship with Megs, good drama, stuff from the previous war etc instead of the civil war (which we’ve seen a hundred times so try something new for a while). But the plot and dialogue in this thing are really lacking.

And I doubt it’s going to get better once the war starts. In fact...this weak talking head stuff is probably way more preferable to a boring war story with clunky dialogue and weak characterization the more I think about it.

5. SonicGX98

SonicGX98 Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Jesus fuck, reading the sarcasm in this thread in draining...

6. Rodimus Prime

A Riff Trax might just prove fatal for you, then...

• Like Like x 1
  7. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Amazing how this fandom keeps demanding "better stories and for the franchise to be taken seriously" and all they really want is "pew pew pew! bang bang bang".

No wonder this franchise is not taken seriously.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

Ebay:
    Wanting pew pew bang bang and better stories aren't mutually exclusive though. Logan, for example, had stupid awesome fight scenes AND emotional gravitas AND wasn't paced like an anemic snail hauling a 15 pound dead cat. Deadpool 1 managed to get humor, pathos, and awesome action scenes all in one package. Outside superhero stuff, even talk heavy things like Ozark and Breaking Bad have SOME fun action scenes as well as slow burn with actual tension.

IDW2 has not presented many with characters they can get invested in, largely due to appreciably boring art and subjectively trite dialogue. If people like it, great. But I think if you truly compare it to those books that are popularly described as "good", you'll find IDW2's Transformers to be below that mark.

I don't think "wanting the war to start" is necessarily a demand for brain dead summer popcorn flick action. It's wanting SOMETHING to happen in this book that engages the reader. So far, the book has been to many people, myself included, a tour of the Comic Trope Museum. To your left, the "Breathtaking Vista" shot. On the podium there is the "Horrible Catalyst". Behind the glass is "Protagonist With Conflicting Ideology". Oh look! The "Tortured Antagonist" is on tour in the rotunda!

9. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

For those of you saying 'it'll be canceled soon/before then!', the most recent issue we have sales for is 12k, about 50% more than the old series.It's still settling but it's clearly selling.

Just because you personally don't like it doesn't mean it's doing bad. Unless IDW itself closes up, it's hard to picture this not lasting multiple years.

That seems a fairly reasonable prediction.

We also might not get a 'the war starts' moment just a gradual escalation until they have to admit they're at war.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Rodimus Prime

I have no idea where to even begin with this.

First, what do you even mean by 'seriously'? Like... MCU serious, or Crime and Punishment serious? Latter is never going to happen. Let's meet in the middle, and say GoT serious. The problem with that is the fact that this is a comic book, not a novel, and so the pacing is completely different. Even in cerebral comics, there's still a certain level of dynamic action; it's just the nature of the beast. I don't even blame the author, he's a novelist. No, the blame is IDW for not having an editor worth their salt. A good editor would have been able to help the author transition his concept over to the medium of a comic book. Add to this lifeless art, and it's not going to have any sort of energy.

Going back to the GoT example, even with the more 'action' scenes of Dany, AGoT isn't very action-oriented. but it doesn't feel like a slog because you, as the reader, can still see that there is maneuvering going on, and that conflicts are being set up and resolved, even if they're not fight scenes. IDW doesn't really feel that way to me. It's just kind of "Here's some things that happened, let's talk about it some more."

• Like Like x 4
  11. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

Ebay:
    This is my position in a nutshell, which I think pays proper credit to the talent attached to it while recognizing the... let's say 'incompatible' talent that the good things have been saddled with.

• Like Like x 2
  12. misfire19d

misfire19d Uniquely-minded Transformers fan.

If they’re not going to have a war, then at least show me the constructions getting into a bar fight with stunticons.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Rodimus Prime

That would be pretty funny, since it would quickly become 10 vs 1 if Motormaster started the fight with the Constructicons.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Dire 51

Dire 51 Line Stepper.

Do you know how awesome that would be?

Just that mere thought is better than every issue of this "bold new era."

• Like Like x 3