When to store, when to sell, when to display... a call for help.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    So, I am in real trouble here. Due to me being so unfocused, I am getting to a collection count that is getting ridiculous. I always wanted to remain focused and stick with G1 / Classics and Masterpiece. Well those in themselves have so many figures it is almost impossible to display them all.

But recently, I got sucked into the Prime line and the WFC/FoC line as well. While both lines are small enough on their own, combined they make up over 40 figures. So they in themselves become a hassle to display properly as well.

Now, my focus is off a bit again. I am thinking of completing my Alt/BT line since I started to appreciate them for themselves instead of the their MP fill ins.

So, that leads me to the main topic here.

HOW THE HELL DO I KNOW WHAT TO STORE, WHAT TO SELL AND WHAT TO DISPLAY?

Selling:
    I have no idea why, but I have the hardest time selling off figures. I put up my whole Prime Line and WFC/FoC line for sale, and got plenty of offers, but I could never pull the trigger. Now, I have the full Hasbro released line of both. I keep thinking, why sell these, the new ones are only $15 a pop which is perfectly in budget.

So any tips of what you do when your stuck selling?

Storing:
    OK, so this is the big one as well. I was thinking of storing the Classics line. BUT ITS THE CLASSICS LINE. HOW DO I NOT SHOW OFF THE CLASSICS LINE!??!

Also, I keep finding myself looking at the Green Giant, and Uranos and some other figures coming out. So how do I store the Classics line when I am still looking to buy more for the classics line. I have never been one of those collectors that buys something to store them.

So any tips on that?

Displaying:
    Well, My office is full. I cannot think of a layout that will work for me at this point and I have limited dispay space. This is what I have:

2 Billy 3 shelf cases
    1 Billy 2 shelf cases (1 cases stacked)
    2 Detolf cabinets.

My office roof is at an angle and there is really no more room to add more displays as I have my computer and stuff I need to work with.

I try to keep my displays, nice, clean and clutter free as can be seen in my collection thread (can see it in the signature). But now, I cannot seem to do that.

So what the hell do I keep to display, especially since I love them all. I know I want to display MP more then anything because they don't look like toys. And G1 because of their history. I feel like Classics bridges that point from MP to G1. A nice in between.

So what tips do you have for Displaying with limited display space.

A Call for Help
    OK, so this is what scares me. Am I a hoarder of TFers at this point? I mean, I know there is far worse on here, but I cannot seem to focus, and the collection keeps growing. Not only that, but I am not selling, or storing them either. I fear one day a pile of TFers will fall on me and trap me in my office.

I know a bit dramatic, but everytime I am ready to stop there is more:
    - G1: I was only going to collect up to the movie. Now I am almost done with Season 3 (US) and will look to finish up Season 4 next year. After that, I am done..... I think..... I hope.

- MPs: Those were easy to collect, but now I find myself buying the remolds of the figures I already own. Then having those remolds sit in a box. But then thinking of getting MP Starscream remold as well! ARGGGGGH!

- Classics: There is no end in sight

- 3rd Party: No end in sight

- Prime: I am not collecting Beast Hunters, so i could see the end. I am just hoping that I stick to my guns and only get show characters. So far I have been good with that. But I have been looking at UM and Thundertron really hard lately! ARGHHH!

- FoC/WFC: I got them all, waiting for more.

SO HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How many of you feel the same way?

2. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator

News Credits:
    I feel like I will get to this point pretty soon. My house is fairly small, and I limit my collection to my home office. With just over 100 figures, many of them fairly large, I'm am almost completely out of room, but find myself going to KMart here in about 10 minutes to pick up the last few Prime figures I don't have.

My wife is thinking of moving her stuff out of the office into her craft room. I may let her.

3. tigermask44

tigermask44 Kills Cons Dead!

News Credits:
    Buy a bigger house.

4. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    If you think you have a problem, you probably do. Sell off some figures, just to prove to yourself you can do it and it's not a problem. Have a few lean months and I'm sure you will appreciate it when you get a lovely piece through.

5. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've packed up the majority of my kreos now, and animated, which I was a bit sad about. But not missing so they are fine in storage. Really thinking of doing it with the prime line too, and just keeping FE prime and bulk out (my favorites from it).

Really, if you don't feel like you'll miss it on display, pack it on up. If you're interests have shifted and you no longer desire the figure, sell it. Personally I'm getting sick of clutter and I'm in the process of cutting down to MP's, G1 reissues, and classics on display. Well, botshots too :)  They're so small there's always room for them.

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Display what you truly love and want the world to see. Store what you love, and cannot bear to be without, but cannot display, or that you do not play with, or that you want to keep safe. You can rotate between these two categories. Sell everything else, at a price the market will bear, not what you feel it is worth.

If you think your collecting is becoming a problem, talk it over with your spouse, or a neutral third party. We are biased here. Do not purchase anything else in the meantime.

7. Alucard77

News Credits:
    The only reason why I don't feel like I have a problem is because I have been able to say no to certain figures.

The reason I feel like I may have a problem is because those figures keep popping back into my head. If they were like $15, they would have been bought. But at $100+, no way.

So I do have some control. But seeing on this post that I am collecting 5 lines at the moment is a bit scary to see.

8. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    It's one simple question really, but you just have to be honest with yourself - that question is, whether it's one toy or one part of your collection, do I actually need this?

You might surprise yourself how quickly you decide that no, most of what you have, you don't need - or want, once that revelation comes.

Hoarding is a curse because there's tipping point when it feels easier to just keep things & add to them, than actually sort thru em (but actually that's an illusion, as it really just ends up bothering and annoying you). Seriously, put the size and scope of the hoarding out your mind and boil it down to one, undramatic question - which of these do I feel I need? It is amazing how easily you can then start to rationalise and thin out any collection.

Another tip - don't do it randomly; decide you'll do it this weekend, or over the next few nights or something; and if you can find a sympathetic but non-invested friend to help out, that's good. It's much easier to sort out other people's crap than your own, so if you can find a willing chum to tackle it with you, they'll help you be objective and also make "tough" decisions as you go.

The really key thing tho is to just do it. There's a reason that Nike slogan is genius :)  Once you genuinely start asking "do I need this? Do i really want this" and then actively packing things up, putting them to one side, (or even binning them), you get a taste for it and it doesn't feel such a wrench.

They're just toys. It's a hobby. Hobbies & collections are meant to be enjoyable. You see people say it on these boards from time to time, and they're not wrong. No one judges you, there's no prizes, it's your hobby, your collection, if you're not happy with it - even if you were happy with it yesterday or last week - you can do whatever you want to it.

Now go sort your collection out. I expect to see decent photos of a well-focussed - to your true tastes - collection in the Collection thread by new year. Go!

/lecture

9. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I'm against storing figures, but that's because I don't desire an enormous collection. I also believe that storage opens up an entirely new expense, be it renting out a unit or investing in containers and shelving for figures that won't be displayed. When compared to others, my collection is fairly pedestrian in terms of overall size.

I would evaluate each line. It looks like you're dedicated to collecting G1, MP, and Classics. 3rd Party you could probably do on a case-by-case basis.

As for the Prime and WFC/FOC lines, pick out the figures you like best and sell off the rest. For Prime, keep the FE and AM releases (if you have them) and sell off the remnants. Regarding WFC/FOC, sell off the molds you like the least.

I recently sold WFC Bumblebee and Cliffjumper because I liked them the least when compared to WFC Prime, Megatron, and Soundwave. I briefly had the FOC Combaticons, but sold them off in favor of Starscream, Shockwave, Air Raid, and Kickback.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  10. tekering

tekering The Ref

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Alucard, I am The Ghost of Christmas Future. :rip 
    Behold:

I am WAY beyond you, man. Most of the Transformers I acquired this year went directly into storage, without being opened; the rest were photographed, played with, partially repainted or modded, and then boxed up as soon as they got in the way. :( 

Those few that actually got to the "display" stage were crammed onto already-overburdened shelves, where Generations, Prime, Alternity, Masterpiece, and 3rd-party offerings are now jumbled together in no semblance of order.
    I spend so much time acquiring and photographing figures that there's very little time left for organizing, and even taking the time to decide which figures to display and which to pack away is a luxury I can't afford.

In fact, it's become a major pain to even make space to set up the lightbox when I do want to photograph a new figure... :redface2: 

My glass showcases are more storage than display now, and whatever's not ready for display ends up wrapped in plastic (if it even got opened) and stored in Rubbermaid bins outside.
    (If the neighborhood kids ever get wise to what's in that big stack of bins lining the east wall of my house, my collection is screwed!) :eek: 

If you do find the time, I recommend rotating your display space. Keep your Classics on display while your G1 figures are in storage for the winter, and put your Classics in storage for the spring while you put your Prime collection on display.
    That will keep your displays fresh and interesting (as opposed to ignored and caked in dust, as so many of mine are prone to), allowing you to enjoy your collection without it becoming a massive inconvenience. :p 

Geez, I really ought to take my own advice...

11. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    It's always time to display, it is never time to store, if it's time to store? it's time to sell.

12. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I am hearing what all you guys are saying, but I keep asking myself, how can I rearrange the room to be able to display them all.

I always say, I will never let it get to this, but I fear it could. That is my real fear what you wrote right here.

Up to this point my collection is display with some semblance of sanity. If you look at my collection pics (link in signature), I have Season 1 together for MP, G1 and Classics. then Season 2 for G1 and Classics and so on. So the shelves don't get too crammed. Also, I separate Decepticons and Autobots as well. So I run out of shelves rather quickly. I don't have more then 18 figures to a long shelf.

13. Molina00

Molina00 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I couldn't tell from your pictures, but do you have any free wall space where you could mount shelf boards? Maybe above your bookcases or something?

14. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM Banned

Dude, u got way too many lines in there.

Second, lets see some pics of the room, the ones in your collection thread are useless.

Get pics up of all 4 walls and lets see if we cant work on some space for you as well.

15. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I actually have room for shelves above my computer. But I didn't really want to go that route. I was thinking of getting a new desk, and surrounding the desk with Detolfs. Doing that should allow about another 4 detolf cases in the room.

16. AnAutobot1985

AnAutobot1985 Well-Known Member

Since I moved into my new apartment back in August, I've cut my collection in half. It's quite liberating. Now I have 40-50 figures. Much easier to manage.

I kept what I REALLY liked. If I had multiples of a character I determined what I thought looked best and kept that (minus Optimus and Megatron). Things that didn't "WOW" me have gone.

Doing so has saved me much space and kept it from appearing to be an eyesore. Selling also funded MP10 and MP Thundercracker.

I don't believe in storing. If it isn't worthy of display it isnt worthy of taking up my space.

Slowly weed through to start. Sell off small batches of the ones you don't really care for whatsoever. Reward yourself here and there with a really nice figure in return. It will get easier over time and your collection will become more focused to your own personal liking.

Good luck! And remember...LESS CAN BE MORE SOMETIMES!

17. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

Alucard you have an awesome collection man! Me personally, I keep my TF collection to a minimum of 20-30 figures. If it goes beyond that, I sell whichever ones I like the least. I can't handle massive collections anymore, it was starting to crowd my life.

18. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    if it's not on display, i put it on ebay, or sell to one of the local guys. this thinking has my toy room twice the size of my living room (finished basement), but that's beside the point. i will not be adding any more new lines, and will eventually weed out a couple lines, depending how mps go, classics might get the axe

19. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Donate a bunch. I do that a few times a year to clear out modern domestic clutter that I don't absolutely love or become redundant. It feels good and saves the hassle of selling.

20. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

He could probably do that with a lot of the retail releases he has.