When the G1 remake marathon ends, then what?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TFTheoretician, Jul 13, 2014.

1. TFTheoretician

TFTheoretician Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I looked at the pictures of the upcoming FP headmasters today and couldn´t help start thinking about something again...

Currently, the main thing for us adult collectors, or at least the thing that is aimed at us, are toys that are remakes/updates of the classic G1 toys. Whether it is CHUG, Masterpiece or third party equivalents of these, we have now arrived at seeing remakes of the 1987 toyline, which arguably, might be the last G1 year with truly iconic characters.

Then what?

I mean, sure, it is possible that IDW starts highlighting even more 88/89/90 characters, thus creating an impetus for remakes of these as well, but regardless, at some point, altough it might take a few more years, all G1 toys of importance should surely have received CHUG-treatment, and the fewer ones that are likely to get Masterpiece versions should get these as well.

Now, given that Transformers as a franchise continues to prosper, say a few decades into the future of toy technology and manufacturing methods have probably become even more advanced and then it might be time for a third incarnation of the G1 roster. But until then, we must surely reach an endpoint for CHUG and MP, right? Even the G1 universe is only that big.

So what do you think happens when we reach even 1988? I can imagine seeing the Head- and Targetmasters of that year getting CHUG/3P treatment, but take for example the Pretenders? And as we enter 1989 there´s pretty much only Pretenders and Micromasters? And 1990, Micromasters and Action Masters!

Do you think Pretenders and Micromasters will get CHUG/3P treatment on a broader scale? Would Pretenders get shells or get treated like Generations Skullgrin? Would the Micromasters still be small but really poseable, or will they receive deluxe-sized figures? The characters that only exists as Action Masters? Will they get transformable toys? And even further? Do you think IDW/HasTak/3P would start delving into Japanese-only characters? G2 exclusive characters?

Granted, there are a few Beast Wars and Unicron Trilogy characters that have already gotten IDW/Generations treatment, but do you think these eras have enough fan support to sustain remakes to the same degree that G1 is currently going through? I.e., will we run out of toys eventually? Also granted, HasTak will always have a cartoon show and possible also live action movies to rely on for promoting new toys, but what would the 3P companies do then? Start focusing on producing original characters to a higher degree? Their own fiction, too?

Please share your thoughts!

2. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

remake ends?

they've been doing g1 remakes since g1 ended.

it's not ending anytime soon. lol

3. TFTheoretician

The G1 characters are ever-recurring in every sub-franchise since, yes.

But there is a difference between for example the character Starscream and the G1 toy Starscream, right? While Starscream as a character have occured in basically every continuity since G1, the original G1 Starscream toy has only gotten three official remakes; Classics Starscream and the two MP´s. And then there´s iGears Con Air Starburst. Now, do you think there will be many more G1 Starscreams, official or unofficial, in the near future? If not, what happens when CHUG, MP and 3P get saturated with G1 toy remakes?

There´s a difference between reissue (as I would classify G2 Starscream as), remake (Classics and MP Starscream, Star Burst) and re-imagination (Armada Starscream). And I am talking about remakes.

4. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

every starscream, is a remake of g1 starscream.

5. TFTheoretician

It´s a matter of definition. If you use mine, then what´s your conclusion?

6. BidoofdudeofOz

BidoofdudeofOz The Stench of Discovery

Classics Sparkabots and Firecons. Make them happen Hasbro. You already used the spark gimmick in AOE toys, just make a small version to fit inside a deluxe without hindering articulation.

7. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

87 the last year of truly iconic characters?

What about the following?

Nightbeat
    Thunderwing
    Bludgeon

Other post 87 characters that were nicely portrayed, at least I think so, were:

Siren, a nice foil to Nightbeat
    Doubledealer
    Roadhandler
    Cloudburst
    Landmine, I thought he and Cloudburst were a fun duo
    Blackjack
    Scoop, more recently portrayed but interesting nonetheless.
    Carnivac
    Catilla
    Guzzle
    Rotorstorm

8. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    And Robot Masters Starscream, and the 2 different legends class Starscreams, and the new one with the Waspy Targetmaster.

And Smallest Transformers Starscream. And Alternity (very different altmode but it is meant to be G1 Starscream). And Heroes of Cybertron. And SFC.

I don't think we have to worry about Hasbro & Takara stopping with the G1 updates any time soon.

9. KFGatri

Ebay:
    That there's still a dozen toys in the last decade alone meant to be G1 Starscream.

Considering the hundreds of G1 characters that haven't even been touched yet - we only have 1/2 the Insecticons so far (both regular and Deluxe), we're only just getting Nightbeat (albeit a poor one), we haven't gotten Powermasters, only a few Pretender characters.

Heck, we haven't even gotten all the 1984 Autobots yet! Hasbro isn't going to "run out" of characters to update any time soon. And by the time they do toy tech will have improved to the point that we'll be ready for another round.

Especially with people clamoring for better updates of characters they've done - Galvatron, Ironhide and Ratchet. And I'm still waiting for a proper G1 Springer to replace Warbot Defender.

10. TFTheoretician

Maybe this is it... That we won´t run out of characters before tech improv has made us ready for another round... And yeah, CHUG Ironhide and Ratchet wasn´t all that impressive... But Henkei Galvatron? Just bought him :p  Otherwise, yes, a G1 Deluxe sized Springer would be nice...

11. TFTheoretician

As for the first three, totally agree. As for the rest, nicely portrayed, perhaps, but iconic?

12. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't think there will be a day where the G1 remake ends,they will just continue on & on.

13. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    Generations springer isn't enough?

14. KFGatri

Ebay:
    As long as you don't mind a Springer that looks like a marathon runner rather than a quarterback, and can't peg properly in either altmode, then he's fine.

15. DogFriedRice

DogFriedRice Well-Known Member

When they stop remaking G1 I'll stop collecting. Easy.

16. motorthing

motorthing No, not really.

News Credits:
    He's fine.

It'll never really end. They'll just get to a point where they start over again ("Another Optimus Sir?") or just not bother because all things TF have finally run their market driven course.

17. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

The G1 remake marathon isn't going to end. They'll just make new versions of the top tier characters and hit more obscure ones that haven't got an update yet. And non G1 versions and video game versions.

18. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    those characters are truly iconic?.. hmm. . i don't think so.

now.. most of the cast from the first 3 seasons of G1 have now become iconic.. after that, not so much.

anyways.. the end of G1 masterpiece figures doesn't look like it's going to end any time in the near future, there are TONS of characters that need to be done and at the rate of 3-6? a year, it could take a while.

as for generations figures.. all of the " "masters and beast era figures.

lastly.. you talk about future engineering.. well, if hasbro's more recent offerings in both the movie lines and generations.. it doesn't look like there will be any advancements in engineering for hasbro any time soon.

sure, there may be advancements.. but i don't see hasbro utilizing them because of their major cost cutting efforts.. i mean, leader figures without ankle articulation? leader grimlock without a ball jointed head.. i don't see these things getting any better in the future.

i'm afraid to see what "main line" figures are going to look like in 10 years.. i wonder if we'll even have a leader class any more. i mean, as of now, it's embarrassing to call leader grimlock a true leader figure.

19. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Red and black red and black

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'm certain that G2 will get more attention. There were people who thought that Fansproject wouldn't release G2 colored versions of their Stunticons, but they released Car Crash in G2 colors. Sure it's a limited edition, but there's precedent that 3P will definitely go for G2.

Takara has also set a precedent for G2 with their black Sideswipe, so I think the sky's the limit when it comes to nostalgia factor with Transformers.

20. iamalternated

iamalternated Barricade is not dead

In the words of Simon Furman "It never ends."