When is the next IDW Collection due?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Chaddicus, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Chaddicus

Chaddicus Don't call me Shirley

Does anyone have any information on when the IDW Collection Vol 9 is slated for disrubution? They were cranking them out and then they got caught up, it I'm pretty sure they've got enough for the next volume.

2. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They're on hiatus at the moment. IDW are being tight-lipped about whether they'll continue. I suspect it's because they want to bundle up RID and MTMTE season one issues into large hardback collections FIRST.... get everyone to buy them... and then go back to the IDW Collections.

3. Russ840

Russ840 Autobot Targetmaster

I hope we get a nice complete vol of more than meets the eye containing all the issues up to Dark Cybertron and I would want it over sized.

4. SpifeLark

SpifeLark New Member

Hi all, hope this is an ok place for a newcomers first post? I'd been collecting all the IDW hardback collections as well, and have been waiting for Vol 9 as well. Seems to be a fair bit of pessimism about whether we'll actually see it.

Can I ask what actually comes after Vol 8? I've found IDW's series to be a real mix of massive highs and terrible lows, but I've heard such good things about More Than Meets The Eye and Robots in Disguise that I persevered through the lows where I'd ordinarily have given up, just in order to eventually catch up with all the stuff that everyone raved about.

Given that it seems likely that there's going to be no Vol 9 for a long time (and of course who would ever expect consistency from a publisher given how incredibly cheap hardbacks are in these days of milk and honey) where do I go next?

I looked at the IDW site and can see RID and MTME on there, but there's a whole bunch of other stuff such as Autocracy and Dark Cybertron and heaven knows what else. If I were switching from IDW Collections to TPBs, where do I go next from IDW Collection 8?

5. Prime_Directive

Prime_Directive less than meets the eye

News Credits:
    Autocracy and Monstrosity both detail some of the early days of the war, but are both responsible for some of the more obvious continuity errors in the series, and really aren't required to understand... well, anything.

More Than Meets the Eye and Robots in Disguise pick up after "The Death of Optimus Prime", which is sort of a one-shot chapter bridging the end of "Chaos" (which is in IDW Collection vol. 8) and the beginning of the two current ongoings.

Dark Cybertron is a crossover event that occurs starting after the 22nd chapters of both series, starting in Dark Cybertron #1 and then continuing in alternating issues of MTMTE and RID, until, I believe, Dark Cybertron #2, which will be the final issue of the crossover. From there, RID and MTMTE will split up again.

6. SpifeLark

SpifeLark New Member

Brilliant, thank you. I might save Autocracy and Monstrosity for another time then. I'll give MTME and RID a try this weekend.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  7. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Reading via TPB, it's pretty easy:

MTMTE Vol 1 (should be read first as it contains "Death of Optimus Prime", the first story after IDW Collection v8)
    Then RID Vol 1-5 and MTMTE Vol 2-5 in parallel.

"Dark Prelude" is a series of spotlights that can be read at any point once you've started MTMTE and RID (two of the spotlights are set during the MTMTE adventures)

As said already, "Autocracy" and "Monstrosity" are prequel stories so again, whenever you feel like reading 'em.

And then it'll be "Dark Cybertron" v1 and 2, but these aren't out yet.

8. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hope they continue with these. It'd be nice to have something that includes the first seasons of MTMTE and RID issues, along with Death of Optimus Prime, spotlights they were running and Dark Cybertron 1&2, all together, spread over a couple Collection hardcovers.

9. WadeBot

WadeBot Active Member

The pessimists might be right on the money, they're not releasing any news on it at IDW. Just reprints :D 

10. Niv3k

Niv3k RED ALERT WOO WOO WOO

News Credits:
    I hope we get some new info soon, because I need new reading material!

11. Mewtwo

Mewtwo Transform & Bamboo out

Wait... so we might not actually get anymore TBP volumes? So... it's just going to end and those of us collecting the TPB's will have no way of reading those comics? :confused:  :( 

12. Prime_Directive

Prime_Directive less than meets the eye

News Credits:
    What? No.

The IDW Collections are the big hard-cover volumes collecting enough material to fill several TPBs.

13. Stryker055

Stryker055 Trying my best here!

Ebay:
    There's not too much of a point to them for now, at least for practicality's sake. They were useful for IDW's multiple miniseries, but since there are now only two consistent ongoings, it would be much easier to just release big volumes for them.

14. Mewtwo

Mewtwo Transform & Bamboo out

Oh ok! I misread that and thought people were talking about the TPB's. Sorry.

Thanks for the clear up.

15. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    Problem is the collections were being done in a chronological order...and now we have Autocracy and Monstrocity and SP Orion Pax and Thundercracter that take place after Megatron's Origins so really they created a mess.

I could them doing like a MTMTE Season 1 hardcover with SP Hoist and Trailcutter and issues #1-#22 with the Annual or like an RID Season #1 with the Annual and stuff.

Maybe a big hardcover for Dark Cybertron as well.

But I think that the regular Collection #8 (or is it #9?) isn't going to happen. Since the Death of Optimus Prime following the TF comic has been loads easier than before.

16. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As long as there's some hardcovers released that collect everything (throw in the extra spotlights, Autocracy/Monstrocity and Death of Optimus), I'll be fine. The appeal of the IDW Collections, for me, wasn't a true "reading order" (because even those were out of order in some spots) but because they included everything from the main continuity so I knew where to go to cover everything (even stuff I didn't care for, but still wanted a chance to read, like Infestation and Heart of Darkness).

17. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Same for me. I don't need the true reading order. I just want everything collected. And I like HCs.

But with nothing on Amazon till early August/end of July, then the usual month or 2 delay, expect nothing till Sept the earliest.

18. Niv3k

Niv3k RED ALERT WOO WOO WOO

News Credits:
    Ah well, I just hope they continue the series. I find the HC's much cleaner looking than all the single issues all over the place.

19. primushatesyou

primushatesyou Crusadercon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  20. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    I have all the comics from the beginning to today on my comic app, I don't need this.