When I Say I Want A New G1 Cartoon...

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by orangeitis, May 24, 2018.

1. orangeitis

orangeitis Note to self: Stop mechsplaining, Orange. Stop it.

Ebay:
    Exactly. You know precisely what my thought process was when conceptualizing this.

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    That also makes me really want a BW remaster. Not a retelling, literally the exact audio from the original show set to new visuals ala video game remasters. Super high-def models and backgrounds, super fluid animation, etc, all to the original dialogue and performances.

• Like Like x 3
  3. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I wouldn’t turn that down

4. solarstorm

solarstorm Well-Known Member

To me, a G1 reboot cartoon would be similar to what IDW did with their comics. Similar alt modes, but updated. All the main G1 characters (some right off the bat, but they all show up eventually). A lot of the same character beats and story themes, but not beat-for-beat story retreads of what came before. (Like Dreamwave tried doing). And, of course, new characters woven into the story (Drift, Windblade, etc...) - fitting not just the story requirements, but the requests of the toy producers that really run TF-related stuff. If the did proper world building along the way, youd have a longer story for Hot Rod/Rodimus and a connection to how those small beast-formers came to be.

Personally, I'd like something that basically takes the g1 cartoons big ideas/stories and delivers them in a more mature way, while adding to and further developing what has been around. Again, like the IDW stuff. Lots of cartoons have been successful at making more mature stories that are still kid accessible (the Batman/Superman/Justice League shows, Avengers Assemble, etc...). Its doable - a show shouldnt need to depend cheap humor or trying to be a mini Michael Bay film. Theres a pleasant middle ground lots of shows have found.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy "Someone has to do the fun stuff." - Moon Knight

I want a new G1 cartoon. I miss seeing 30 characters interact with each other. One thing I loved about the original series was that each character was given a fair amount of screentime and dialogue. Yeah it had too many characters, but they were charming and unique.

I want a Transformers show with 30 something Transformers coming to earth. And more being added later on.

6. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    I really wish we could get a cartoon that functions as a proper G1 throwback. I don't expect (or even want) a direct remake or continuation, I just want something that tastefully calls back to it. Something made by people who clearly grew up with and loved G1.

Over the years, Hasbro has done quite a few G1 throwbacks. The Prime Wars trilogy, Cyberverse, even Prime to an extent. Most of the time the G1 throwback elements just feel kind of lazy, and sometimes even downright insulting (Combiner Wars). A lot of times it feels like it wasn't really made by people who care about it.

Out of all the G1 throwbacks, I can think of two that have really worked for me...the Bumblebee movie and War for Cybertron. Both were made by people who truly loved the source material. I'm sure there have been other examples, but these are two that really stand out to me (the creators' passion is clear in behind-the-scenes videos). I'd also consider something like Classics/Generations/Masterpeice, but I'm more referring to fiction here.

I don't need a full animated series, maybe just a web series or something.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Crim

Crim Well-Known Member

That's exactly why I don't want one, because every recent attempt has come off feeling "lazy" and half assed. Honestly, the only recent version of that that left me with the G1 Feels was Highmoon's WFC and FOC games. For me, THAT is my modern update.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  8. peteynorth

peteynorth TFW2005 Supporter

9. Galvatron2000

Galvatron2000 Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Prime Wars Trilogy(machinima) is the closest thing to this :D 

But I would like to see a movie first...continue the history of the 3rd season and the headmasters season but 15 or 20 years later.

And once the film is made, I just saw a 4th season.

10. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    Some of the actors from G1 have passed away, they're going to be pretty hard to replace.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He brings up good points, meanwhile you just give simple comebacks that don't even properly defend your argument.

12. orangeitis

Ebay:
    That's not how opinions work. One just doesn't go "oh that's a good point! I was wrong for wanting something I actually enjoy! I'll change my stance to want things that you think are best then". It's subjective. And what @SaberPrime actually did claim, I thought I had properly rebutted.

Care to elaborate what I'm getting wrong?

13. halo4361

halo4361 Float like a butterfly, sting like a manta ray

I don't particularly see the need for another g1 rehash. I would prefer something new and unique. That being said, I'm not AGAINST it either. I don't really care that much about what continuity direction they go with as long as it's not anime. On the other hand, if HAS to be g1, I would like them to continue after the rebirth. I always hated that they ended the story with the decepticons at large.

14. Rumblestorm

News Credits:
    Well you can't expect people to take your opinion seriously if you can't back it up.
    Just because its an opinion doesn't mean you can't back it up, that's not how it works. If people wonder why you have a certain opinion, it helps to bw able to defend it so that people can see why you have that opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  15. orangeitis

Ebay:
    Unless they're dangerous or otherwise detrimental to someone's well-being, why do they have to be "backed up" at all? Besides, if someone wants to know why I have that opinion, they wouldn't imply so heavy that it's somehow "wrong", they'd actually ask me. If someone disregards your opinion like that, why should you even care about defending anything against them? What importance are they to you?

I mean, if you actually want to know why I hold a position, just ask.

16. Rumblestorm

News Credits:
    1) I mean, you don't have to, but I mean, it's a discussion forum? It's kind of the point?
    2) That's what we're doing, we are asking you so we can understand you better, but you're not only not defending your argument, but you are also refusing to defend it. Otherwise, expect people to just assume you're wrong even if it is an opinion.

Know what? I am not in the mood to give you a writing lesson that you should have learned in middle or high school. You're right, you do you.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  17. orangeitis

Ebay:
    The point is to discuss, sure. But not to degrade or mock. And that's all I was getting from @SaberPrime. It was just all "no, you shouldn't want this". Why the shit do I have to listen to what a random stranger thinks I should want? Respect me if you want me to care about answering you.

And that's their right. But you're giving me no incentive to care about a conversation. "Defending" something means it's under attack. And if one attacks another's opinion, they damn well should ignore the attacker! But if you ask nicely, let's have a good discussion.

That's the kind of thing I'm talking about. If you genuinely want to know information from someone, don't patronize them like you're doing with me. Treat them like a human being. Don't cheapen them as people.

18. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

That's not always how opinions work but sometimes that does actually happen... not exactly in the sense of admitting to being wrong that's never how opinions work but people do change opinions some times based on things other people have brought up that maybe they never noticed or thought about before on their own. That is if they aren't so stubborn that they only listen to people who share the same opinions. Which I think is kinda boring and defeats the purpose of having conversations with other people.

You gotta have conversations with those who have opposing views. You don't always need to change your opinions but a mutual understannding of the other person's opinions even if you don't agree with them works just as well. ;-)

19. orangeitis

Ebay:
    Sure. Absolutely. But I'm just saying, asking someone instead of starting with "no" is a much better way to show that you're actually open to an honest discussion. I'm not opposed to explaining any of my views on any subject at all, but if the person who's trying to engage with me doesn't seem respectful to my views before they even ask, why should I care about what they have to say?

20. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

I never implied you were wrong. And I did ask, I always ask because that's the point of a discussion.

Again I never disregarded or mocked you. All I did was try to get a better unnderrstanding of your opinion while also explaining an opposing view point which is how discussions work. It was never no you shouldn't want this. It was technically you already have it so what are you even asking for? No one understands what your appoint of view even is. You say you want a G1 reghash but then you change your argument claiming that isn't what you wanted. So what is this thread even about? You won't tell us, you're outright refusing to explain it. How can we have a conversation if you refuse to explain what it is we're even suppose to be discussing.