When I Say I Want A New G1 Cartoon...

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by orangeitis, May 24, 2018.

1. PikaManiac

PikaManiac Well-Known Member

Stop being so literal, this is not a statistics report... :throw 

2. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

At that’s just my thing

3. Blunderzag

Blunderzag Magna Convoy will lead us to victory

Transtech would have really interesting and would have continued the g1 universe further.
    Also I don't really think that wanting something like this makes you a dirty geewunner, it's almost like it's this fandoms version of calling something bigoted when it's not.

• Like Like x 1
  4. KremzeekTyCobb

KremzeekTyCobb Ow, mah leg!!!!

From a hardcore geewuner, I can tell you I would totally on board for most of this. OK, 5 would be a tough one and I'm sure the message boards would light up with "what were they thinking!?!?!?!". But otherwise, not a bad idea!

5. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

There is no need for a compromise in Megatrons altmode. We have 5 gazillion transformers that change into a tank. They are so many we run out of tank models to emulate, while theres hardly a handfull of gunformers.

The first who brings the target masters up as a comparison will be fussion cannoned to death and we will put a sign on his grave: "Midgets that appeared 3 seasons later and were organics dont count"

• Like Like x 1
  6. Blunderzag

What if Megatron turned into a M-16
    Imagine Starsscream using him to mow down Autobots

7. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

It would be odd to my eyes. Megs power was supposed to be massive and coming in strokes hence his bio ability to link into a black hole and shoot a blow that can level an entire city block in one blast.

I would prefer a sniper rifle but I cant say honestly.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Blunderzag

I was thinking about certain guns because the fact that he was a gun in the first place is very over the top,yet iconic. However since they made him a tank to be safe, making him a gun again would be rebellious in of itself
    M16 wasn't my first choice and I actually wanted to keep him as a 9mm, but a sniper rifle actually makes more sense as his alt mode has a scope and stock and everything else. It would be in my opinion, a better modernization

9. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

All I want is an actual conclusion to the G1 cartoon that would fit into Beast Wars. If G1 ended with the "Return of Optimus Prime" that problem be solved but nope we have the cliffhanger "rebirth"

10. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Hooked on a Feeling!

News Credits:
    I honestly don't think there's any reason to remake the G1 cartoon. I mean, part of the fun is the '80s corniness, with the sound effects and cheesy lines and all. I don't see how you could modernize a story like 'Sea Change'. Trying to redo that with modern animation and whatnot just wouldn't work. It's a product of it's time, it's one of those things that just needs to stay in the '80s. And it's not just that one episode, sadly a lot of the G1 cartoon just isn't ideal material for a modern show.

I'm not really a fan of remaking stories at all. If they were to remake every G1 episode, there would be no reason to wonder "what comes next?" We'd know every story before it happened. If they're going to do a "modern G1 cartoon", I'd prefer them continue the story forward with new adventures. Even if they go for an '80s vibe', they need to smooth out the rough edges. Sort of like how Guardians of the Galaxy homages '80s movies, but it's still very much a modern movie. It needs to be a romanticized version of the '80s, there's a lot of dumb stuff we like to forget about.

The same goes for remaking the '86 movie in life-action. I've heard that suggested so many times, and I think it's a terrible idea. It's the ultimate product of it's time, remaking it wouldn't work unless you drastically changed it past the point of not even being the same story.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Doombot80

Doombot80 Member

I'm glad I came across this thread, it's good to see there's a lot of people who want/wanted to see what the hell happened in the twenty years between the end of G1 S2 and the original movie, like I have since I was a kid.

To me, that time period would be the perfect way to make a new series that could potentially please many different types of fans. It'd be a bit of a sequel, a prequel, and something new all at the same time. You could bring in the old die-hards plus new and casual fans, you could make it modern while still paying tribute to the old characters and designs. There are a ton of stories to be told in that 20 year span. How did the Autobots build Autobot City? What happened to the Ark? How did the Decepticons finally take complete control of Cybertron, and seemingly drive the Autobots out to it's Moons and Earth. Did the Decepticons abandon Earth, Megatron and his original crew all seem to be back on Cybertron in the film. Many characters are not seen in the film at all, what happened to them? There is a lot of potential to expand (and end) the stories of many characters introduced in G1. Just don't explicitly announce it as "GENERATION ONE, PART TWO" Just start it in that time period and go with it.

Things I'd like to see:

1) The introduction of newer characters that have been living on Cybertron the entire time. Hidden Autobot cells that have persisted during the long decline on Cybertron under Decepticon/Shockwave's rule. I can only assume this is where Ultra Magnus, Hot Rod and Kup came from. Are there more? What have they been doing? Tiny Autobot factions like Elita One's female cell, hidden all over Cybertron in an endless cold war with the dominant Decepticons seems like good story material.

2) Some sort of conflict over the control of the Space Bridge and/or the construction of a new one. I always assumed as a kid that the new characters that showed up somehow got there through the Space Bridge, and there had to be some sort of untold stories of clandestine scheming by the Autobots to use the Bridge so many times. Does Shockwave lose control of the Bridge? Is another made in secret? This seems to be a vital piece of technology that would be essential to both sides.

3) If Megatron and his crew start spending more time between the two planets, there is a ton of opportunity to expand, not only the story of the War, but the current state of the planet and introduce new characters. This is an entire planet dominated by Decepticons, surely there would have to be governors, leaders, and warriors of all types that have been carrying on in the 4 million years without the "big dogs". Who are they?

4) Expand the Autobot relationship with Spike, his family and Humans. Autobots seemed to have gone from weird, sort of secret but sort of famous superhero robots, living in a remote mountainside, to full fledged inhabitants with an entire city to themselves. How did this happen? I'm sure there's good stories there.

5) Try to smooth out inconsistent story issues that have built up over the years. Where were the Constructicons really created? How were the Dinobots created without Vector Sigma, and now that "sparks" are cannon, how do they live without them? What about mass shifting? All lot of little thing could be touched upon.

6) Expand upon Vector Sigma and what it means to be alive for these beings. How do they themselves deal with the mystery of their own origins and the creation of life.

Things I'd like to NOT see:

1) Anything to do with Unicron. Besides the fact they didn't know what Unicron was before the film came out, I just have never liked Unicron and the entire convoluted mess of his own origins and everything that came with him. (post film history/world building)

2) The Quintessons and Cybertron's origins. One of the pitfalls of world building and story expansion, especially in a franchise this old and with this many writers, is the need to try and explain everything. Some things are just better left as unknowns, as mysteries, even to the characters themselves. There is a need for fans of all franchises to want to fill in every little gap, every little possible history, to the detriment of world and characters. One of the most fascinating concepts in scifi and in all storytelling, is who are we and why are we here? Endlessly filling in these questions with robot Gods and weird robot creators lessens the story in my opinion. The Transformers dealing with the unknown mystery of their origins could be one of the most interesting aspects of the overall narrative. How did living machines, seemingly with physical souls, come to be? How did this ancient, life giving super-computer, named Vector Sigma come to be? Robot Gods and Quintesson manufacturing lines are not satisfactory answers to these questions. The best answer is to NOT answer them. Let us, the audience, wonder about these questions along with Optimus and his people themselves. Maybe this seems too heavy for a cartoon about robot cars getting in fights, but it's still amazing to me that all this was already laid out in the foundation of that cheap Saturday morning cartoon 30+ years ago.

Am I insane? Do you agree? Disagree? What would you want to see if this was to be a new series? Or would you rather a straight reboot?

• Like Like x 2
  12. Distant1

Distant1 Well-Known Member

I agree with most of what you said. I think there would so much scope to make new toys for new characters (and make new and realistic toys for the characters that we already know with upgrades like correctly colored eyes) and cool designs like un-named seeker jets with Cybertonic alt-modes.

I would not worry too much about the Transformers origins regarding Vector Sigma, but you could create new Autobots using Vector Sigma (through Optimus Prime's connection with the Matrix).

And a casual remark or two about how the Protectobots came to be would be appreciated.

13. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

Just saw this and wanted to say I’d like this done with Star Trek Animated. Those scripts were better than the animation.

14. ErickCruz

ErickCruz Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    (I thought i had posted in this thread before, anyway...)
    I guess there was another post asking something similar asking what do you want in a new TF cartoon, some, myself included, suggested a mature take and available on netflix.
    Giving it the Voltron treatment is cool, but i would actually want to see a series where Optimus is dead and Rodimus has fully grown into the role of leader. For those who want OP to appear he can show up a la Obi Wan to Luke, but instead of a "Force Ghost" he's a "Matrix Ghost" (?) along with other former Matrix bearers, which would flesh out the world their building, past, present and future.

As for animation style, i guess something like this

15. RMStunticon

RMStunticon Dan Kuroto Fan

What made G1 fun was how stupid it was, but at the same time its biggest detractor was its laziness in animation and obvious toy commercial-esque nature.
    So basically my idea is
    Give a fuckin Transformers show to Trigger Studios and it'd be wonderful

• Like Like x 1
  16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Oof, Ridhe killing Loni still sucks when you notice she deflected the blast last minute.

17. Crim

Crim Well-Known Member

Aside from the mature part you kind of described what Hasbro tried to do with RID2015.

18. PrimeSlave

PrimeSlave Active Member

If such project would see the light of a day, I'd be happy with quite extensive revision and combination of various elements from different G1 and TF mythos in general. Here's few main elements I'd like to point out (this is very, very wisful fan-fictionish thinking, I know):

Take mythology from the comics and other sources but keep the spirit and themes of the original cartoon, along with many characters
    While there's some charm in the cartoon version of the TF mythology, I prefer the, even if a bit biblical, Primus, Unicron & Primes and stuff origin story and various other elements that came into play afterwards in different cartoons, movies, comics and such. I love many G1 characters and basic setup of the story, but the background mythology has been improved afterwards. So yeah, take that.

Focus on characters & keep surprises and twists coming
    Another element I'd like to take from the comics and to a certain extent, Bayformers, is the certain gritty edge when it comes to characters; there can be traumatized, violent ones and war should take it toll. There will be victims and characters will react to that. Also, there will be strong friendship and emotion all along. Give core characters certain longevity, but be prepared to shake things up as well. Visiting characters and one to three episodes long "spin-off" trips here and there won't hurt, if the story arc is related to the main story. This way you cover and fix the following two issues:
    1. The sheer amount of beloved characters
    G1 has a huge character line-up and while it's always good to save some for the future, there's no way one can handle all of them appropriately. However, if certain characters have their own little sub-plots and spin-off stories in a couple of episodes you can actually give them some proper focus and chances to shine without taking too much time and focus from the actual core cast. A very appropriate way to handle certain fan-favourites, references and stuff.
    2. Filler episodes
    Every single TF cartoon has a couple of filler episodes. With this kind of 1-3 episode deviations you can keep the main story intense enough while also making good use of the assumably extensive episode count and doing some appropriate world-building at the same time

Some rough outline of the cast that I believe would fit this format very well
    Autobots
    Optimus Prime
    Ratchet
    Ironhide (G1+Bayformers-inspired)
    Bumblebee
    Hot Rod
    Nightbeat (comics/Furman-inspired)
    Sideswipe (bayformers-inspired, at least designwise)

Ultra Magnus (G1+Prime-inspired)
    Some "elder" (Alpha Trion, Vector Prime, etc.) who would work as a guardian of certain secrets and who could come into play later in the series, should some cosmic threat raise it's head...

Decepticons
    Megatron (G1+Prime+bayformers-inspired)
    Shockwave
    Starscream (G1+some Prime/Armada-twist to give some depth)
    Combacticons and/or constructicons
    Soundwave (G1+Bayformers/Prime-elements)
    Ravage

Tarn & co.
    Thunderwing

In the end... not quite G1 enough though, is it? :D 

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Michael Payton

Michael Payton Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd support a revival of G1 like most shows get revivals these days: a new season.
    Same fun tone.
    Use the background music. Frankly, most cartoons cheap out and don't have music anymore. I miss it.
    I know we can't get the same voice cast, as many are gone IRL, but I'd love to see a lot of them return.
    The same or very similar animation models as the Sunbow designs.
    Don't just repeat the old stories, pick up that continuity, set today.
    New characters. New young heroes at the forefront, with the classic vets in the background. Think Young Justice and the kid's relationship with the Justice League.

20. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I can dig it.

Retell the original Sunbow story- but fixed. Straighten out the continuity issues. Incorporate the Primes and deepen the mythology. Plan the overall story before writing individual scripts.

3D animation based on toys, in an attempt of toy / screen accuracy.
    Work re tools and re paints into story line.

Allude to the existence of Beast Wars- missing shuttle from The Ark.
    Ancient Maximal / Predicon artifacts unearthed.
    Maybe even a 2 - 3 parter that deals with the decepticons discovering TM Terrasaur encased in Lava, in stasis lock. How much should Optimus divulge since he now has knowledge thru Primal bearing the Matrix.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 3