When I Say I Want A New G1 Cartoon...

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by orangeitis, May 24, 2018.

1. orangeitis

orangeitis Sick Kiss Players Lover

Ebay:
    This is just my opinion, and isn't meant to represent anyone else's, Geewuner or not, but...

When I say I want a brand new G1 cartoon, what I'm saying is:
    1. I want the same story told from the G1 Sunbow cartoon. Not necessarily word-for-word... actually, definitely not word-for-word(because of corny '80s lingo or sound effects), but I'd like the general plot outlines from each of the episodes of Sunbow's 1984 Transformers cartoon to be represented in a brand new series.
    2. I want the entire cast of Sunbow's 1984 Transformers cartoon to be in this new series. With the characterization that similar versions of those characters have gained over the years so they will interest adults as well as children. I want no character cut from it. Not even Kremzeek.
    3. I want the continuity that emerges from this "expanded" version of Sunbow's 1984 Transformers cartoon to extend not only to the character's backgrounds, but the events that happened between Rodimus Prime's leadership and the Beast Wars.
    4. All those "G1-esque new characters" that we've been seeing in toy lines and comics? Windblade, RTS Lugnut, Drift, Victorion, etc? Yeah, put them in there too. Not in the seasons 1-3 scene, but maybe pre-Earth and post-S3. Somewhere.
    5. If necessary, change Megatron's alt mode to a tank. This isn't a preference, it's a compromise.
    6. Voice actors may be different(which is necessary in some cases because of actor mortality), but it'd be nice if the characters sounded similar to their Sunbow selves.
    7. And for the love of Primus, keep their sizes & shapes consistent this time, barring in-continuity reasons like new alt modes. Their shapes aren't that consistent from issue-to-issue of the current comics.
    I know there was no mall santa when I came in, but I wanted to get this off my chest to someone. Thoughts? Opinions? Anything someone would like to add?

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 14
  2. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

News Credits:
    I wouldn't want the same stories all over again. Maybe an amalgamation of Sunbow and Marvel G1 with some new ideas mixed in too. Characters modeled after current Generations figures. Have a continuing timeline instead of returning to status quo at every episode end. Characters can get injured and be out of commission during some stories, possibly repaired in later episodes. Avoid having humans blindingly accept the good vs. evil story. Get the rights to include Circuit Breaker. Throw in mentions or references to other Hasbro properties like GI Joe and MASK.

• Like Like x 20
  3. orangeitis

Ebay:
    Most of those ideas I could get behind, NeilJam. =) I like them.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Fallout

Fallout wake up motherfucker, and smell the slime!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    yeah, an amalgam of marvel and sunbow would work best. marvel was corny in different ways, but it had tons of worldbuilding like elaborating on what the matrix was, giving guys like shockwave and scorponok some actual character, and it'd be nice to get straxus into the mainstream.

idw has honestly been pretty good about being a g1 update, but it's fallen prey to a lot of the contrivances that come with comic books and big universes.

• Like Like x 5
  5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    That series would be a 30 minute white screen, because there were no TF characters or episodes in 1983. ;) 

But for a G1 update... I don't know. I don't know who could write it, and I especially don't know who could animate it in today's industry, and have it not either look like garbage or be the super-cartoony flat look of all the shallow comedy cartoons on now.

I think the best G1 we're ever going to get is the one we already got.

• Like Like x 1
  6. orangeitis

Ebay:
    lol sorry, I meant '84.

I'd let a Japanese studio animate it, personally. Who's write it? That's a good question. Whomever is the Transformers equivalent of Kevin Feige. And if there is none, we must acquire one.
    These are nice ideas.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SaberPrime

SaberPrime The first Decepticon the Fallen Megatronus Prime

1. If they have to be the exact same stories all over again what's even the point of doing it? Just watch G1. You're not leaving a lot of room for more creative story telling when you're asking for a rehash of the same old shit. Even of it's not exactly word for word there's really very little they could change.

2. Ah hell no. The G1 cartoon still to this day has the largest cast of characters in any Transformers cartoon. And you want to make it even bigger by adding Wind blade and other Retcon characters. As it is the cast is already so freaking big that it's impossible to even keep track of them all. There's just no way they can devote enough screen time to each character so the majority of them are easily forgotten five minutes after you just saw the freaking episode. A character needs at minimum two full episodes devoted to them to get any decent characterization developed so kids will actually remember they exist. Anything less than that and there is no point in them even being in the cartoon.

3. I would be up for an expanded G1 universe where they just fill in some of the gaps to tell NEW stories that fit that continuity. The only old stories I would want retold would be like retcons to fix some of the contradicting episodes. Like pick one of the three origins for Devastator, retell that story in a this is what really happen the other two episodes aren't canon anymore sort of way. Not the entire series, ah hell no to retelling the entire series.

4. No, I don't even like that these characters have been retconed into an already huge cast of characters for reasons I've already explained. The only ones who really deserve this treatment are Obsidian and Strika because they were introduced as characters that fought in the great war in this continuity. Everyone else were introduced as characters in other continuities and should stay in their own continuities. I don't need G1 versions of characters who aren't even part of G1 continuity to begin with.

5. No, G1 Megatron is a gun. I hate that he's a gun, I would actually rather he was a tank but this is what we're stuck with. That's G1 Megatron and it always will be. You make him a tank then it's no longer even the same Megatron. It's like taking Cybertron Megatron and trying to convince me it's BW Megatron. I'd accept that maybe it's the same character in a different body but I'd never accept it as the same body unless it actually looks like the same design.

6. Even with the same voice actors they won't sound exactly like they did in the 80's. Just look as Peter Cullen as the Prime example, pun intended. Their voices have aged so while you can still tell it's Optimus he sounds much older... cause he is. Animated also brought back a lot of G1 voice actors so you can hear a difference there as well. Blurr I almost didn't even realize was the same guy cause his speech isn't as fast as it use to be. Not sure if he can't do the speed talk anymore or if the voice director intentionally had him slow down because they did give Blurr some plot heavy dialog that could of been totally lost at full G1 speed. G1 Blurr was never a exposition fairy so it didn't matter so much if no one could understand him.

7. If mass shifting is still a thing then why do their sizes need to be consistent? Unless we're going to assume they can only change size when transforming or we get rid of mass shifting entirely there isn't much need for this.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I'm for returning to the story universe for adding on to it only. Like say doing something at some point when Prime and Megatron's are in stasis lock on Earth. The war didn't stop, I'm sure there would had been infighting within the Decepticon ranks that Shockwave had to put down. There would had been other Autobot commanders that would had to rise up to fill the void of Prime's leadership.

Perhaps doing something after the conflict ended. I'm pretty sure not every Decepticon gave up when the Pax Cybertronia was signed. Perhaps have someone like Springer leading an Autobot Elite Guard team to engage guerilla fighters of the former Decepticon Army. Along with setting up key events during the Maximal/Predacon era of the story universe. Like the formation of the Tripredacus Council and such.

9. orangeitis

Ebay:
    Because they won't be the exact same stories. No, I'm not going to "just watch G1". We've left enough room for creative storytelling. It should eventually be time to improve on the fiction that started the TF craze to begin with.

Yes, I do want to make it bigger. And with more episodes/seasons. Sorry if that makes you uncomfortable.

That's fine...? My post wasn't there to benefit you. You can have your own desires for an ideal TF cartoon.

I disagree. Deal with it.

I agree. But that's just not realistic to do in a modern-day cartoon. Like I said, it's a compromise.

The entire first half of your post is ridiculous and uncompromising. It's basically saying "no, you can't have a taco because I want a sandwich". Sorry, but I'm going to continue to want what I have described in the OP.

Agreed. I'd even go as far as to say that all of them would need voice-doubles.

Because Mass Shifting describes X, and inconsistent character sizes describes Y. When the rules of your characters' powers aren't clearly defined, it makes the powers less interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SaberPrime

There is a compromise you seem to have missed... tell new stories that fill in gaps between seasons.

I just don't want G1 episodes retold all over again and like it or not that's never going to happen. There's no room for creative story telling when you're demanding the full series to be retold. And how do you call that a compromise? Just watch G1, those stories have already been told right there, no one wants to retell the same damn show.

A series that say fills the gap between season 2 and the movie would be great and they could even write in an in story reason for Megatron being a tank. Not like we ever saw him transform in the movie and CW Megatron is close enough in robot mode that he could of been a tank there.

I'm not against Megatron being a tank if it's an upgrade that exists in story. I'm just against trying to force his gun mode to be a tank when they're obviously different things.

• Like Like x 2
  11. orangeitis

Ebay:
    I thought I got that. But that was definitely in my thought process when making this thread.
    Never say never. :wink:  And I was referring to the Tank Megatron thing as a compromise, but... whatever you were thinking I meant. Also, I'm not demanding anything. This is just my personal preference.
    Actually, Megatron transformed in the scene where the Decepticons captured the Autobot space ship. Killed a few 'bots in gun mode in that scene and injured Ironhide, finishing him off in robot mode.
    I agree. If it's possible, I'd prefer to keep him a gun. But meh. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like Like x 3
  12. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

I have one of three things I'd like:

An actual post-Rebirth U.S. continuity story as a film (direct to video is fine) or series written by professional writers and performed by union voiceover talent that isn't an attempt to hawk rare convention exclusive figures. Basically what I want is the aesthetic and attitude of the '86 movie.

See above but as a Season 2.5. I can see this being a good, "safe" option for mid-range fans. Spike and Carly and Chip. Maybe you have the classic autobots setting up shop on Cybertron while Optimus mentors Drift, Windblade, Rook, Alpha Bravo, and company, with a few returning favorites like Bumblebee. Have them go up against Sunstorm, etc. A retroactive G1 season. And everybody has regional accents and the giant robots play basketball and date humans and discover places like the Lost City of Atlantis and Shangri-La. If you're gonna have G1 "add-on" characters, give them the full G1 treatment. And it's set in 1986. Windblade gets a Flashdance episode.

A proper dub of the Japanese Headmasters cartoon. And by proper, I don't necessarily mean faithful the way an anime enthusiast would. I mean edited for broadcast with a MTMTE theme and original voice actors and G1 score. Packaged as it would have been had U.S. networks picked it up. If you want authentic anime, go with subtitles.

• Like Like x 4
  13. SaberPrime

I hate subtitles. Why not just dub them in English? Seems like it would be a lot easier to translate the original story into English than to write a whole new script that fits the animation. Besides isn't that what they tried to do with the Unicron Trilogy and look how horrible that turned out. Supposedly the original Japanese versions had a much better story.

There are anime's dubbed in English that are the exact same story as the Japanese versions like Full metal Alchemist and Death Note. The dubs are word for word exactly the same as subs but it's a lot easier to follow the animation when you're not focused on reading text. That's what books are for, if I want to read I'll pick up Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Dirk Gently, Paper Towns, or some other such thing. When I'm watching an anime I just want to enjoy the animation. Plus I can't read that fast, especially when there's like a whole paragraph of text on the screen that's only there for five seconds. Every five minutes I'm having to pause to read dialog.

• Like Like x 1
  14. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

Well, I'd prefer the names get translated and use Sunbow voice actors when available.

Obviously, not gonna get Rodimus or Kup. *sigh*

15. DeadLocke

DeadLocke Well-Known Member

1. I don't know if I'd want the whole cartoon redone episode for episode... Another fandom I'm a part of (TMNT) tends to have the old comic stories and themes repeated ad nauseum in different iterations. Even though there are some variations in these retellings, after a while you really start hungering for something original.

2. I would love to have all of the old main cast, although if the other characters show up I'd like it to add the story rather then just be a glorified cameo. I would love having them keep their old personalities, though I think with Starscream he'd have to be shown to be a lot less Megatron's personal punching bag and more of the vicious, manipulative double-crosser that Megatron has to keep an eye on. He'd also have to be shown to effectively be able to lead the Decepticons whenever Megatron isn't around, because otherwise he doesn't feel like a true threat to Megatron's leadership, and it would feel like a mystery as how he even got to be Second-in-Command at all.

3. As far as leading into Beast Wars, I don't know if I would want it to be this series future. I don't mind it as the past, however, if it's not involving time travel. Time travel opens up a big can of worms, and it just becomes a question of why the Autobots/Maximals or Decepticons/Predicons didn't use it more to 'solve' their problem or to prevent the whole war in the first place, which would have allowed them to avoid the whole 'dead Cybertron' thing. That being said, if the cast of Beast Wars were not time travelers, we'd get to see what Cybertron looked like millions of years ago along with the Quintessons running things, and why all of the main characters were fleeing.

4. Well, as long as they add to the story, why not. But will there even be enough time and episodes to feature them all?

5. I think the closest thing to a gun would probably be one of those really big automatic rifles or machine guns mounted to a tripod stand, it would still keep the 'gun' aspect without turning him into something totally different like a tank. Because if he can't be a gun anymore, then Soundwave has to change his too, because he shrinks down into a boombox.

6. There might have to be some comprise on the voice actors, especially since someone mentioned they do sound older. I wouldn't be bothered by Prime or Megs sounding older because that would give a quality of age, seniority and experience, nor would I mind some of the 'old' characters sounding old. There would have to be some concession though, because unless the voice actors for Bumblebee or Wheelie can sound young again, they might have to recast.

7. Pretty much nothing to say here, I pretty much agree.

I did want to ask this though: Since it's a G1 reboot, would it be set in the 80's or would it be set in the modern day? If it's modern day, some of the altmodes could simply just be 'updated' down to the newer vehicle of that production line or class, like Starscream's with the newest F-15 Eagle model. (I don't know where in the alphabet it is now.) Soundwave's wouldn't necessarily have to be updated though, he could just be a nod to the old series, just being a retro classic boombox someone could conceivably keep out of nostalgia or buy off of Ebay. Some others though, might have to be changed a bit, unless there is a plausible explanation of 'why' they keep an old alt-mode. Some could be easily explained away like Soundwave's, but others (especially certain vehicles) might be a bit harder to explain why they are 'stuck' in the 80's.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  16. orangeitis

Ebay:
    Yes.

I mean, I'd want it starting off either before the first Sunbow ep or at the firsr Sunbow ep, expanding on everything instead of *just* retelling everything. Then, I'd want them to pick up the series in modern day as if the modern day takes place after Rebirth.
    Well since Starscream doesn't survive past 2005(unless we revive him, which I'm not opposed to), then he wouldn't have a chance to become an F-15 Eagle. But I'd certainly like to see it. But I'd want to stick with the same timeline.

17. Murasame

Murasame We like to talk big, vampires do

News Credits:
    I would like that. But I would rather see S4 having more episodes. But having it done now would feel out of place like Regeneration One did. So I would prefer just to have a MTMTE cartoon with Milne's art style. And start with a general outline of stories that lead into MTMTE. Like LSOTW and Death of Optimus Prime. Leave out the big cross-overs and maybe tell the story how it was supposed to happen if the cross overs did not happen and other mandates.

It would be the best Transformers cartoon ever.

Of course you would need to outsource it to a japanese animation company that would need to copy Milne's style and you would really need to sink dollars into it.

Also the music will be very important. It should feature the classic G1 theme, but modern and mostly electronic so that it suits the setting.

• Like Like x 2
  18. orangeitis

Ebay:
    I'd watch the FUCK outta that. Even moreso if the music is artsy~

19. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    Set in modern day and animated in the vein of anime, with the return of the original G1 Cybertronians, Junkions, Quintessons, and Humans but the Transformers would have to be updated probably with references to other modern Transformer series and the Generations line. I'd like it to be entirely new stories though, you can be MCU funny but also tell a compelling story. I miss days with overarching stories, compelling and complex story telling, entertaining action, while still be funny and entertaining to everyone.

I don't care how many seasons there are, lets say four but it could always be renewed if its popular enough and then you start to really expand the universe. You can even do movies, kind of like I don't some of the Naruto & Dragon Ball movies introduce a new villain the Autobots have to battle and defeat by the credit roll, it doesn't necessarily have to be linked to the current story going on on the television. You introduced characters retroactively added into G1 like Windblade, Victorion, & Alpha Bravo and you start to expand beyond the 1987 lineup. Like the first half of the series can focus on Autobots being led by Optimus Prime before then going to Rodimus Prime and for some reason after that I'd like to see Windblade become the third modern Autobot Leader.

Include references to other Hasbro properties, make this truly feel like an expansive universe with plenty of stories to tell. Lets get G.I. Joe back to popularity, bring in MASK, Rom, anything that would make sense.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Personally, I'd like a "remake" of the original three-parter. It would basically keep the same audio as the original but have the visuals redone with modern CGI (not the low budget Machinma quality either). There would be new scenes added - Elita-One chasing after Optimus Prime as he boards the Ark, and also the scene from Beast Wars where BW Megatron enters the Ark and attempts to destroy Optimus Prime.

There would also be characters added - the season two Transformers would also be aboard the Ark and it is shown that they share a different fate to explain why they don't appear in season one but are also afflicted by Cybertonium deficiency. Hauler is also shown in the background and now has a speaking role with a new voice; although he is killed off.

Also everyone on Cybertron has Cybertronian robot forms to go with their Cybertronian vehicle modes, including Optimus Prime's cameo in the Beast Wars scene. They only get their usual robot forms when they awaken on earth and are reformatted into earth vehicle modes.

Last edited: May 27, 2018